main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"OMG IT TILTS" or how the Revolution might just live up to it's name

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think Nintendo would do anything with the controller that could potentially break it.

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    You're kidding, right?
    It's made by Nintendo.
    Nintendo's things are near impossible to break.
    When Amargeddon comes all that will be left is a bunch of cockroaches sitting around, playing Super Smash Brothers.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I mean that Nintendo wouldn't think of making people flip the controller, since that would result in a lot of 5-foot falls.

4. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I have to say if Nintendo can pull this off it would be ******* sweet.

Since I didnt have a consloe for the entire time growing up any time I visited a friends house to play was an embaressing experience.

Now granted, much of that is to knowing the game much better, but it also came froma completely unfamiliar controller. And of course as years went by the controllers just got more complicated.

This on the other hand is easily the simplist controller since the original nintendo.

Now of course without actually playing you can't know how intitive it is for you but if it works as claimed it is completely and totally beyond cool.

Despite my glee though I feel I must mantain an aura of healthy skepticism until it's on the market.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> When Amargeddon comes all that will be left is a bunch of cockroaches sitting around, playing Super Smash Brothers.<<

I wouldn't go that far- but those roaches will be playing Super Mario Land 2, Tetris & Metroid 2 on original model Gameboys for sure at the very least. ;)

6. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Nintendo of America has a gameboy on display at it's office. It was taken to the gulf war and RUN OVER BY A TANK!!!

Still works.

7. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    I want Bill Gates to buy out every one of these controllers on earth and smash them to bits. Why does Nintendo need to do stupid crap like this in order to Alienate the American buyers and appeal to the Japanese market who would eat crap like this up? This has really dashed away my dreams of playing Super Smash Brothers revolution.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's survived fires, stairways and I think even bullets.

9. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Looks interesting. No thoughts yet.

Will say this... Nintendo is becoming the new Sega... which is a good thing, as I was always a Sega fanboy first, and a Nintendo fanboy second.

By that omment, I mean, that Nintendo is now becoming the innovative company that Sega was.

I like the many changes Nintendo has taken through the years. Because as much as I loved my NES and SNES... they were as conformist as comformist can be.

I have high hopes this new step works out.

10. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I've read the articles about the new controller and revolution, and all I can say is that if Nintendo does this right they can regain the console crown. However, there is still a lot they could do wrong.

The idea is extremely innovative, and since this new controller would be ideal for FPS, they are definitely aiming at regaining market share in the U.S. Even Halo would have tighter control with the new Revolution controller.

In order to compete though they will need to do the following, however early idicators seem to point otherwise:

1) Include the "standard controller expansion shell" with the console along with the "remote" and analog "nunchuk" add-on. This will make third parties more comfortable and allow for more cross-platform games to also appear on the Revolution. If this shell is required to be purchased separately, it becomes a problem for 3rd parties who typically only want to support the "standard system". In fact, all (first party) controllers sold should be a three piece package including the remote, the analog extension and the controller expansion shell. Hopefully Nintendo will figure this out before launch. Either that, or they should include a GC controller with the package for games requiring a "standard controller". Also, the "controller expansion shell" should be made nearly idential to the GC controller in terms of functionality if they want to allow both to be used on the Revolution for the same game.

Microsoft might be making the same type of mistake by offering two versions of the XBox 360, since many cost conscious people might opt for the version that is $100 less expensive without doing the research needed to realize that the $100 cheaper version is sub-par and does not support all games.

Third parties usually only support the "lowest common denominator" in order to have the widest potential pool of customers. It is a mistake to alienate them in such a way.

2) Support HDTV. This is the wave of the future and this is one feature that is required to truly compete with Sony and Microsoft. Even if people don't yet have an HDTV, they'll probably want support for it since the U.S. is supposed to be forced fully into HDTV within a few years by federal regulators.

3) For the launch, make sure to attract current PC game developers to make games for the Revolution that they would not have bothered for for other consoles due to control issues. Nintendo has an opportunity to not only attract the current console 3rd party "usual suspects", but also add a bunch of other franchises and genres that have not successfully entered the console market in the past.

One last note though is that this idea is not exactly as new and innovative as everyone makes it out to be. Although many of the previous attempts were also by Nintendo, controllers based on 3-D movement have been developed in the past and failed. Anyone remember the power glove or the other thing Nintendo came up with for NES, I think it was something like the "U Force" where it was a box that you moved your hands inside and it was supposed to detect the motion. Both never caught on at the time, but perhaps the timing is right for the Revolution.

11. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I thought HD wouldn't work because of some interference with the controller interface? Like how the zapper doesn't work on plasma.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It doesn't work like a lightgun- since it's reliant on the anteneas you place on the sides of the screen.

So you could theoretically get new "non-light guns" to play lightgun games with even on an HDTV.

From what I've read, Nintendo is possibly reconsidering the lack of HD support due to the feedback they've gotten, so it's still a posisbility.

13. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, I will for sure be picking up the Rev. I do hope though that the console comes with the standard control shell to plug the remote into, for those of us who want some more classic style handling, for say Zelda or Mario.

Nintendo should not make the standard type of controller an extra you have to buy. Hope they give us the remote plus the shell.

14. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    It's good to hear they are reconsidering the HD support. However, I think that whether or not they include the standard controller expansion shell or a GC controller with the console is probably going to be a big issue with the third parties, even if it seems like a minor issue to gamers. If every console includes not only the new control paradigm, but also the capability to port or cross-release games from/with the Xbox 360 and PS3, Nintendo should be able to have their cake and eat it too. The new controller scheme seems great, however game developers will still design many games based-on the previous standard type of controller, and if Revolution does not offer such a controller "out-of-the-box", it could be a problem.

Hopefully Nintendo has patented this new controller scheme so that even if Sony and Microsoft want to jump on the bandwagon, Nintendo can get royalties. I think Nintendo wisely waited until MS and Sony had fairly finalized their designs for the PS3 and the Xbox 360, since MS definitely and Sony probably can't offer the same kind of control scheme at launch even if they wanted to do so.

15. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I can't believe Sony would go with their current controller design. It looks like a women's double penetration pleasure toy.
    Then again they do want to reach out to new markets...

16. NewWorldOrder

NewWorldOrder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    I could give a crap about HD. Even in a few years i wont have an HDTV nor do i want one yet.(my friend has one no biggie if you ask me)

online i think will be big, and if they support it as good as i think they will well.... alot of cool mario online games will sell ****loads

17. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I don't really care either, but I didn't care about DVD playback, but that seemed to be an issue with the PS2 sales. I think having an option that people probably won't use will still help sales basically on a psychological level.

I think it will be a great online FPS that could be a system seller in the U.S.

18. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    Like Geist for the GC. I played that game today and the multiplayer is awesome. I think it supports 8 players, with humans and bots.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I could give a crap about HD. <<

However people who have an HDTV do, and it would be an incentive towards the high-end market to have that capability, as well as not to isolate it in comparison to PS3 and the 360 which do have it.

20. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I don't get the fuss over HD. I mean, even if the Revolution supports it out of the box (which would then presumably be at a cost that every consumer will have to bear), with the relatively low resolution, it's not as if it's going to make the games look any better, is it?

In a market where it's considered acceptable to charge extra to play DVDs on the built in DVD drive, or to provide a save game functionality when certain games are unplayable without it, I would think that some sort of HD add on would be a much more likely product than an HD-ready console. Especially considering the rumours about DRM.

21. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I want a game where I can use two controllers for a shooter. Then when I turn the controllers, my character turns his guns to the side. When I cross my hands, character does the same.
    But the coolest thing that serves absolutly no purpose, when I flip the controller the gun does a gun flip, ala Revolver Ocelot.

22. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Reading the stuff at IGN about the controller, I do think that it's pretty innovative and will work well with certain games, but I'm not too sure about some things. Personally, I can't possibly see playing a sports game with that control setup, and the way IGN described it I'd have to say it's looking like it won't work too well with sports games. I can't see myself playing fight night, madden, etc. with that setup whatsoever.

23. ColonelSandurz

ColonelSandurz Jedi Master star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    That is the best metaphor I have EVER heard.

24. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    yes sure it will, but not as many ppl have HD as ppl that don't and nintendo knows this.

25. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    yup. and mario kart etc. etc. will big huge if online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.