main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"OMG IT TILTS" or how the Revolution might just live up to it's name

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>but not as many ppl have HD as ppl that don't<<

But how many more people will have an HDTV in 3 to 5 years?

(not to mention people who might upgrade to an HDTV because their consoles can utilzie them)

Including the capability ensures the Revolution doesn't lose a technological edge during the middle or end of the console's lifespan (we wouldn't want to see third party titles dropping off towards the end of this forthcoming generation, especially if Nintendo is to maintain any momentum going into the following console generation).

2. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    Nintendo can have the best controller in the world, but unless they make a serious effort to aim for the more mature gaming public...the GTA crowd...they will still be behind Microsoft and Sony.
    It is all about the games. You can have the best machine in the world but if you don't make games that people want to play it does not matter.
    If Nintendo does not bring out games aimed on the more adult gaming audience, it will still be an "also ran" to X box and the PS2.
    It will, even if the new controler works out, have to change the "Kidtendo" image to compete with the other 2 companies.

3. NewWorldOrder

NewWorldOrder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    "But how many more people will have an HDTV in 3 to 5 years?"
    More obviously. but not close to half of console consumers i bet.

4. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    "You can have the best machine in the world but if you don't make games that people want to play it does not matter."

lol ppl want to play nintendo games, it's all about 3rd party games and i'm sure theres nothing to worry about this generation.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Here's my view. People buy Nintendo's because that is the only place you can play their games. No one is buying a Nintendo and saying "Dang, I wish I could play GTA on here." People buy a Nintendo to play Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc. And personally, I think its sad that people look at Nintendo and go "Pokemon is for kids! I'm not buying one of those things!" They're missing out on a lot of fun games you can't get anywhere else. Yes, today's gamers are older. But just because you're older doesn't mean you can't enjoy a game rated E.

6. Reebs

Reebs Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2005
    Mario Kart GP launches in Japanese Arcades this month.

Namco lost the inane "two people to a Kart" stuff and brought back the hop.

Looks good...

7. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Are you...
    Are you using Microsoft and Sony in a "All about the games" analogy?
    Leave.
    Just leave.

8. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> It will, even if the new controler works out, have to change the "Kidtendo" image to compete with the other 2 companies.<<

Thing is though there is nothing to change- despite what ignorance may get bandied about, Nintendo is not just about kid games and actually does have some nice mature titles.

And, as pointed out above, you can't seriously think M$ or Sony are actually "more about the games" than Nintendo is?

10. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Case in point: Resident Evil 4

11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    It more about having more mature launch games that will be the real key for Nintendo to succeed. I believe the price point will be significantly lower than Xbox 360 and PS3, so if they can pull off the 3rd party support, they could potentially retake dominance in the market.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That's pretty unrealistic though. At most they would beat out Microsoft for second place.

13. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    So Microsoft is just out to get more money while Nintendo isn't? Microsoft Games wants to expand video games to become a mature and legitimate form of entertainment like Movies, Television and literature. In my opinion Nintendo frequently hold this image back with the kiddyness and simplicity of their games.

14. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Nintendo is trying to open gaming up to everyone, not just gamers and kids. When was the last time you played some video games with your parents? Nintendo wants to open video games to the whole family, including the 20-somethings who only seem to care about Halo and Madden. Simplicity is the key to this. And what is wrong with simplicity? When did simple=kids only? I'm glad that they're not just making a controller with a couple analog sticks and 30 buttons. Besides, with the amount of technology in the Rev's controller, you can hardly call it "simple".

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>So Microsoft is just out to get more money while Nintendo isn't?<<

No, that's not what I'm saying. People buy Nintendo for their games. You don't turn to Sony or M$ for their games, you go to them, generally, for 3rd party titles.

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    "But how many more people will have an HDTV in 3 to 5 years?"

That question proves your ignorance. The US Congress passed a bill requiring all tv stations to upgrade to HD-exclusive programming by 2006-2007.

If your current TVs are not HD capable, then you will be forced to buy a new HDTV if you wish to watch TV.

Keep up with what your government is doing, people.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought that was pushed back to 2010 or at least downed to be "you have to start offering HD signals besides non-HD by this point, and later we'll cut off all non-HD signals" or some such.

But regardless- my point still stands, more people WILL have HDTV's in 3 to 5 years ;) :p

18. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    So you're telling me that in just two years the only way I'll be able to watch TV is with an HDTV. I'm sorry but there is no way I believe that. There will definetly be a longer transition period while people upgrade. Most likely around 5-10 years. I don't know many people with HDTV's, not everyone can afford one. There is no way the gov. is just going to say "Oh you can't afford one? Too bad, no TV." Not going to happen.

19. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    more than half of console gamers will not have an HDTV in a few years.(no proof of statistic just a good gut feeling)

and to say that we'll be required to have an HDTV in a few years is nonsense.

As of January 2004, indications from industry and FCC officials including its chairman are that the cutoff date for digital-only broadcasts will not meet the intended 2007 and the actual timeline for analog shutoff in the U.S. will realistically be in the 2010?2015 timeframe.:-B

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    We were going to have that same thing regarding replacement of normal TV with HDTV starting next year.

They stopped it since HDTV take up is still <10% of the marketplace. I imagine it's the same in the US.

21. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Just had another thought. If the analog TV cutoff is so close. Why can yous till buy them in the stores? I would imagine that that they wouldn't be being made anymore.

22. Ryozo

Ryozo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 3, 2002
    Darth-Lando gets the No-Prize for most amusing analogy.
    The post-Pearl Harbor comment ("I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.") is widely attributed to Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto, who had devised the operation, but there is no irrefutable evidence that he actually uttered those words. What he did say to several Cabinet ministers about an attack on the United States is this:
    "I can run wild for six months ? after that, I have no expectation of success." (Wikipedia reference)
    All of that laid to rest, my initial impression of the new controller pretty much ran to 'what the...?!' Yes, it's probably quite well-designed; it'll probably even work as advertised, but I think I'll reserve judgment until I get some hands-on time with the thing. Even though this comment from the horse's mouth makes me wonder...

The problem with this quote is that one can read it to imply that two-handed controllers aren't familiar to everyone. Considering that they've been around since the original NES and earlier...? Naaah...

23. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    You can still buy them because the manufacturers and retailers want to squeeze every last dime out of you that they can. They might as well sell you a TV that will be obselete in 5 years because you'll then still need to by an HDTV again in 5 years. Most people don't buy TVs that often, so this is a unique opportunity for them to soak people. They're after the people who aren't planning that far ahead.

My understanding is that analog TVs will not be allowed to be sold after 2007, even if the government more slowly transitions the signal change to 2010-2015.

24. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I made tha anology. And I have no doubts that we'll be comfortable with it in about a week after playing with it. Like all other controllers.

25. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I dont know... rainbow road+very slightlag=short experiment in terminal gravity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.