main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OMG! My friend's PS2 did something its never done before!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Oct 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Like this morning, I went to his house and it did something pretty amazing...

IT WENT ONLINE! Online Console Gaming. It's great! So first game we played was TRIBES: Aerial Assault...I got second place. It was a blast! I dunno why though, I just really liked it. Then we played some Tony Hawk which was okay.

In all seriousness though, what do you think of online console gaming?
    Me personally, I'm thinking of buying an Xbox just for Xbox Live because it really seems great. Discuss.

2. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Online gaming with the DC was great, so I can't wait for Xbox Live.

Europe launch is March 14th though... Long wait...

3. Guirun_Karyyk

Guirun_Karyyk Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2002
    Online gaming is great for a variety of reasons, one of which being that there really is no excuse for actual human competition. My only experience is with the Dreamcast, and Phantasy Star Online was a great experience. As such, I'm really looking forward to taking the PS2 online, particularly with the MMORPG's (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) like Everquest, Final Fantasy XI and, perhaps most obviously, Star Wars: Generations. Great stuff that should really open it up as far as immersing the player with a totally complete gaming experience. I mean, just the though of creating your own character in the Star Wars universe is cool enough, right?

4. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    This might be a stupid question for a Star Wars fan who loves video games, but what is Star Wars: Generations? Never heard of it.

5. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    LOL

We all have our off days

6. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I don't know man, but I heard that new Star Trek: Galaxies game kicks ass ;)

7. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
  8. The_Rev

The_Rev Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    Wait till Xbox Live! No cheaters!

9. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Got excited there for a minute, wasn't making fun of the poster. It reminded me of Star Trek, but hey... I can dream. As for the PS2, mine refuses to go online. I use Roadrunner, and for whatever reason, can't get the thing to work no matter what formula I try. I refuse to pay for AOL and AOL PS2 service just so I can play another game, so...

Plus I've read that FFXI might not come to the US anyway because of server issues. And even if it does, and though I'm a huge FF fan, I might not get it because it doesn't seem very FF to me.

10. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    I wish I could afford broadband so I could enjoy it to the fullest.

11. Darth Predator

Darth Predator Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 1999
    How much does it cost to get your PS2 online?

12. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    The PS2 is pay per play (some developers might allow people to play for free ala Starcraft).

It'll be more like how the PC world is set up now. You register, give em your credit card number and they bill you per month/game (whatever the developer chooses)

Kind of a hassle in the end to have to mess with passwords

13. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    You can check out everything that comes with the PS2 Online starter kit here.

14. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    It's pretty pointless IMO taking the PS2 online as it costs too much and can't compete with xbox live.

However, I happen to be a GC fan and if this GC modem ever makes it to Europe (or Japan even) I wouldn't buy it anyway. I'm happy playing 1 to 4 player games.

Maybe next gen I'l go online if it really takes off.

15. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    However, I happen to be a GC fan and if this GC modem ever makes it to Europe (or Japan even) I wouldn't buy it anyway. I'm happy playing 1 to 4 player games.

Uhm, both the GameCube Broadband and 56k modems are out in Japan and will come out in the US in a month or two.

16. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    REALLY BASEL?, Interesting.

Still counts for nothing if you live in Europe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.