Lit Omnibus Program: A Place for Everything?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by marvelfett11, Jan 24, 2010.

1. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I'm pretty sure we'll see the Star Wars 3-D comics in the new A Long Time Ago... Omnibuses--back when that big Luke Skywalker TPB came out, Leeland Chee mentioned in the introduction that a bunch of the obscure comic stories were being collected together, making references to plot points from Devilworlds and the 3-D stuff. The real question is whether they'll be printed in their original 3-D format (with glasses, ala the Black Dossier) or if Dark Horse will colorize them like a normal comic, as they're doing with the few formerly black and white stories we've seen reprinted...

Also, does anyone think they might reshuffle the order of the original Marvel run in the new collections? I doubt they'll interrupt the Marvel run to fit in the obscurities (although they might in the ANH-TESB interim), but Marvel released a lot of the stories out of sequence. (#101 actually takes place before #97, etc.) It was very confusing to have them in the original release order in the old collections...I wonder...

TC
  2. marvelfett11 Force Ghost

star 3
    In a perfect world, at least, in my opinion, all the U.S. Marvel, U.K. Marvel, 3-d Blackthorne comics, comic strips, etc....basically all the non-Dark Horse stuff, would all be put into "chronological" order (order in which they take place) and released under the "A Long Time Ago" banner. I know that it would invlove buying things that I already have, but I think it would be cool.
  3. Taral-DLOS Jedi Master

star 3
    It won't happen, if only because Omnibus: A Long Time Ago... Volume 1 includes with Marvel Star Wars 1-26, when all the Marvel Ewoks, most 5/8 Marvel Droids, and some of the Marvel UK stories take place prior to issue #1, and the remaining three Marvel Droids take place within that range.

HOWEVER

I'm thinking that they might include a lot of Marvel UK and maybe some of the Marvel Droids in Volume 2. Why? Because ALTA Volume 1 was 26 issues, and I predict Volume 2 will also be 26 issues. However, Marvel The Empire Strikes Back was issues 39-44. I'm thinking that they'll want to do ALL pre-TESB stories BEFORE publishing TESB. That means that Omnibus: ALTA Volume 2 will have Marvel Star Wars 27-38, plus however many Marvel UK (incl. Devilworlds and Marvel Illustrated stories) fit the balance.
  4. Manisphere Force Ghost

star 5
    Not sure how Honor & Duty find their way into an already crazy thick Vos Omnibus. In fact I'm not sure where the heck H&D go (Don't say it Quest[face_talk_hand]:p)
  5. Taral-DLOS Jedi Master

star 3
    Would H&D possibly fit in a fringe-type Omnibus? Just because the main character is on the fringe, in terms of characterization (he isn't a Jedi, or a trooper, or anything, just a generic Everyman that got caught up in bigger things). So Honor & Duty + Loyalties would maybe be in a Fringer omnibus, along with Jabba the Hutt 1-4, The Jabba Tape, maybe Podracing Tales, Scoundrel's Wages, possibly Underworld (if it isn't in Omnibus: Boba Fett), maybe even Kenix Kil.

So it would be:
    *Podracing Tales (48 pages)
    *Honor and Duty 1-3 + Loyalties (96 pages)
    *Jabba the Hutt 1-4 (104 pages)
    *The Bounty Hunters: Scoundrel's Wages (28 pages)
    *The Jabba Tape (28 pages)
    *The Bounty Hunters: Kenix Kil (28 pages)
    *Hard Currency (4 pages)
    = 336

IF We add Underworld: The Yavin Vassilika 1-5 (128 pages)
    = 464

OR IF we add the Chewbacca comics, as they are mostly fringe stories involving Chewie, then we add 96 pages
    = 432

Two great page numbers for an omnibus.
  6. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Underworld is being reprinted in the Boba Fett TPB, so we don't have to worry about that...I'm not sure that Honor and Duty would quite fit in a Fringe themed omnibus, although stranger things have happened. More likely it'll either show up when they wrap up the pre-AOTC Republic comics, in the first Clone Wars collection, or, based on the Honor and Duty TPB, in the first of the Dark Times era collections.

Does anyone get the sneaking suspicion that we'll see at least one more hardcover "trilogy" omnibus as we did for TTT? I'm betting on a Dark Empire hardcover collection for 2011...

TC
  7. marvelfett11 Force Ghost

star 3
    If they do make a Dark Empire hardcover (and I think they will) I would love to see how the New Republic lost Coruscant after the Thrawn Trilogy. I know that there was a short story that sort of covered this, but I want to see a tale with the main characters as a sort of prologue to DE. I know it won't happed but a guy can dream.
  8. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Yeah, it's kinda funny how with some stories virtually every minute before the story is documented (like in the run-up to any of the films, or X-Wing's lead-in to Courtship of Princess Leia) but somehow Dark Empire fell through the cracks. Stackpole even ignored the intro text for Dark Empire and a story from the Jedi Academy Trilogy Sourcebook when he wrote Isard's Revenge, which might, because of its timeline placement, have dealt with this issue. But no. Closest we have is "Retreat from Coruscant", the aforementioned story from the JATSB, and the Dark Empire radio drama. We need a novel or comic! :) Heck, even a video game...

TC
  9. marvelfett11 Force Ghost

star 3
  10. Plaristes Force Ghost

star 3
    I recently learned of another odd comic. Any guesses on whether the omnibus that reprints the Marvel UK material will include "R2-D2's Tales from the Data Banks" from Star Wars Summer Special 1985, the only Star Wars story written by Stan Lee and illustrated by Steve Ditko?
  11. marvelfett11 Force Ghost

star 3
    Being a Yank, I've never heard of this story. Could you elaborate?
  12. Plaristes Force Ghost

star 3
    I'm a Yank, too. :p The story is about a robot that decides so see what it's like to be human. It disguises itself as a man and then takes a job. It's coworkers are jerks because his industriousness makes them look bad, so it realizes that it's foolish to desire to be human since humans kinda suck. I'm pretty sure this story is reprinted from one of Marvel's (or maybe Atlas's) anthology comics of the 50s or 60s. But since it was reprinted with a Star Wars title, it seems like it should now count as a Star Wars story.
  13. marvelfett11 Force Ghost

star 3
    Thanks. That's interesting.

Does anyone in here know the original source for this story?
  14. marvelfett11 Force Ghost

star 3
    Just a bump to see if there are any new thoughts on the subject.
  15. Taral-DLOS Jedi Master

star 3
    With the publication of Omnibus: Quinlan Vos--Jedi in Darkness, we'll finally have 100% of the Republic stories collected! w00t!

And I think it'll mean that I'll own all of them too, since I have the Honor and Duty TPB and the 9 Clone Wars TPBs. This makes me happy.
  16. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    Is anyone keeping track anymore of the things not even yet reprinted at all, let alone in Omnibus format? I used to do it, but I've been out of the loop for quite a while.
  17. Taral-DLOS Jedi Master

star 3
    The following are comics that have never been reprinted in TPBs or Omnibuses. Note that this doesn't include usual monthly comics that simply haven't been collected yet (e.g. Invasion 6-8; The Old Republic 1-2, etc.) but does include comics that have announced that they'll be in omnibuses but aren't yet.

Marvel (US/UK):
    Ewoks 1
    Ewoks 2
    Ewoks 3
    Ewoks 4
    Ewoks 5
    Ewoks 6
    Ewoks 7
    Ewoks 8
    Ewoks 9
    Ewoks 10
    Ewoks 11
    Ewoks 12
    Ewoks 13
    Ewoks 14
    Droids 1
    Droids 2
    Droids 3
    Droids 4
    Droids 5
    Droids 6
    Droids 7
    Droids 8
    Pursuit
    Death-Masque
    The Keeper's World
    Dark Lord's Conscience
    Dark Knight's Devilry
    The Flight of the Falcon
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Blind Fury
    Tilotny Throws a Shape
    The Pandora Effect

Blackthorne:
    Star Wars 3D 1
    Star Wars 3D 2
    Star wars 3D 3

Newstrip Comics:
    Planet of Kadril
    The Constancia Affair
    The Kashyyyk Depths

Dark Horse:
    The Crumb For Hire
    Sergio Aragones Stomps Star Wars
    The Jabba Tape
    Battle of the Bounty Hunters
    Prelude to Rebellion 0
    Handbook 2: Crimson Empire
    Handbook 3: Dark Empire
    Knights of the Old Republic Handbook
    Routine Valor (Free Comic Book Day 2006)
    Legacy 0
    Legacy 0 1/2
    Purge: Seconds to Die
    Purge: The Hidden Blade
    Republic 23 (note: may be in Omnibus: Quinlan Vos-Jedi in Darkness)
    Republic 24 (note: may be in Omnibus: Quinlan Vos-Jedi in Darkness)
    Republic 25 (note: may be in Omnibus: Quinlan Vos-Jedi in Darkness)
    Republic 26 (note: may be in Omnibus: Quinlan Vos-Jedi in Darkness)
    Republic 40 (note: may be in Omnibus: Quinlan Vos-Jedi in Darkness)
    Republic 41 (note: may be in Omnibus: Quinlan Vos-Jedi in Darkness)
    Shadows of the Empire: GALOOB Micro-machines mini-comic
    Shadows of the Empire: AMT/ERTL Model mini-comic
    The Mixed-Up Droid

Webstrip Comics:
    Reversal of Fortune
    A Hunter's Fate: Greedo's Tale
    Evasive Action: Recruitment
    Evasive Action: Prey
    Evasive Action: Endgame
    Rookies: Rendezvous
    Rookies: No Turning Back
  18. leesweinberg Jedi Knight

star 1
    great list. aren't there a few uncollected stories from the Marvel Illustrated books?

World of Fire
    The Word for World is Death
    The Guardian of Forever
    Way of the Wookiee
    The Weapons Master!
    The Kingdom of Ice (and the Pizzazz parts)
  19. marvelfett11 Force Ghost

star 3
    Some other things that spring to mind are.
    -The 4 (I think) remaining comic strips from SW Kids Mag. 1 was reprinted as part of SW Tales ("Death Star Pirates".)
    -TOR Comics (these will most likely be a tpb of their own.)
    -The Remaining TCW web comics (Season 2 and up)
  20. Malachi108 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    The are also The Clone Wars comics from the UK magazine, but they ongoing and not likely to be collected in the next few years.
  21. Plaristes Force Ghost

star 3
    Don't forget to add to the Marvel UK list "R2-D2's Tales from the Data Banks," as well as possibly the three short stories from the Ewoks Annual. There are also all the stories in Tokyopop's Star Wars Manga Black and Silver, as well as the seven cine-manga/photocomic adaptations, and Grosset & Dunlap's and Leapfrog's TCW photocomics.

Edit: I forgot to include all the Lego comics, both those that came with the toys as well as all the stories that have appeared in the various Lego magazines.
  22. Taral-DLOS Jedi Master

star 3
    Firstly, the stories from Marvel Illustrated:
    World of Fire
    The Word for World is Death
    The Guardian of Forever
    Way of the Wookiee
    The Weapons Master!
    The Kingdom of Ice (and the Pizzazz parts)

I didn't include them because they were collected. IN THE MARVEL ILLUSTRATED books. Those were TPBs.

I genuinely forgot about the LEGO ones, as well as the webcomic Act on Instinct, the SW Kids stories (except Death Star Pirates), and

The three Ewoks short stories from Ewoks Annual weren't comics. They were actual short stories.

I intentionally left out the photocomics and the manga, because digests are TPBs. Same reason I excluded the Clone Wars Adventures, TCW digests, and SW Adventures digests.
  23. Plaristes Force Ghost

star 3
    I just remembered another comic I'd forgotten to list: "Il Potere Della Forza" (I hope I spelled that correctly) was released only in Italy.
  24. Plaristes Force Ghost

star 3
    Another three items that can be added to the list are the bonus pages that you got after beating the three online games that tied into the "gamisode" webcomics set between seasons 1 and 2 of TCW (since these were not included in the Tales from the Clone Wars trade).
  25. Guy-Gone_Weird Force Ghost

star 2
    At the CV Dark Horse Panel there was a question about the Droids/Ewoks omnibus, and they said those two series, the UK/Pizzazz comics, the 3D comics and a few other odds and ends they found will be collected after the Marvel issues are collected. I hadn't heard that the 3D comics would be included until then.

Also Tom Hodges had a UStream webcast before CV talking about his CV items and I asked if the Season 2 TCW webcomic or his older webcomics would be collected. He said if Season 1 sells well, the publisher will want to do Season 2 (and 3 which he is preparing), but the older webcomics would have to be redrawn in comic panel format to be reprinted. He did seem to like the idea of doing that and said he'd make a note to talk to someone about doing that, so keep asking him.