main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Omnibus Program: A Place for Everything?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by marvelfett11, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Why, when they went to the trouble of putting the DE, CE, and XWRS handbooks in their respective omnibuses, did the KOTOR Handbook get shafted?

2. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Whaaaa?!

On the one hand, I take it that means that they did put the End Notes in DE, which is good. But...but...tell me they at least included the 0 issue of KOTOR if they didn't include the handbook for whatever reason? ALL THOSE BEAUTIFUL CROSS-SECTIONS. *cries*

(And since we're chronicling our attempts to make sure we don't lose out, guess who decided to spend her credit card points on Amazon Vouchers instead of sensible growed up things so that she could get a couple more of these suckers. Oh yes. This chick. I'm mostly up to date now, but I don't have the super recent KOTOR/Wild Space/Dark Times stuff or the hardcovers... Here's hoping they don't skyrocket in price before I can afford to splash out on finishing my collection in a few months...)

3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Handbook is different from the Endnotes, IIIRC. I think the Handbook came out years later.

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You have my apologies for helping cause the prices to skyrocket by going nuts on the Amazon UK listings this week and buying several last items in stock. :p

But... yeah... I really hope that KOTOR #0 is there... as... wasn't that where the actual first pages are, with Malak and Revan and stuff meeting Lucien? I'd hate that not being there. :(

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    KOTOR #0 is in there.

Zorrixor and beccatoria like this.
  6. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

oh well. :(

(And Zorr, yes, that's when we first see them as I recall, but it looks like we're good on that front. And most of the books I don't have now are the more recent ones that places still have in stock, so I'm pretty sure we don't need to knife fight over copies... You know. Pretty sure.)

7. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I've been hearing from my local book, and comic shops, that some people are getting multiple copies of the same omnibuses, and trades, that's really going to drive up the prices.

8. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Sad that the handbook isn't in there. Glad I grabbed a single issue of it when it was out. Seems a strange omission given thee others have always been included.

9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    There's still a chance the KotOR Handbook will be in the third KotOR Omnibus, but that hasn't been confirmed yet. It's odd, though, because the Handbooks have generally gone in the first Omnibus/hardcover volume.

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The Handbooks are at the very end of the DE and CE hardcovers, yeah, so I guess it could make sense that they'd stick it at the end of the KOTOR ones, to stop Page 1 not starting with the story.

(What happens on Page 1 of the Legacy Omnibus? Issues 0.5 and 0, or just straight in at 1?)
    Having got hold of the DE Trilogy this morning, the Handbook at the end definitely struck me as much more recent, as the art is not the psychedelic style of the comics. I assume the original Endnotes were?

(And becca, knife fight? Really? How crude. If it comes down to that, it will be pistols at dawn.)

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Legacy 0 is at the end of the 1st Volume.

12. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    You now damn well we're both in Britain and don't have access to firearms, sir!

*sharpens bread knife*

Zorrixor likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Break out the battle bread and rock scones!

beccatoria and Zorrixor like this.
  14. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I just posted my Impressions video of the Dark Times Omnibus. I dont spoil the book but show the chapters contained and show the artwork.

Here is the Impressions video:

15. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    So the April solicitations are out....no new Omnibus collections... :(

16. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Looking at this DH page, I doubt it. It lists the issues as 38 - 50 + War 1 - 5 (18 issues) and lists it as 416 pages. The second omnibus has 19 issues and is 440 pages, i.e. an additional issue and an additional 24 pages. Which is almost exactly the difference you'd expect. I think that KOTOR issues are actually 22 pages, but they tend to use a cover image to separate story arcs, and the third omnibus has more of those than the second, which could account for the 2 page discrepancy.

Stuff does change between solicitation and release, but there's enough here that makes me think it's unlikely. :(

17. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Is there any new material in the handbook?

18. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    It's basically a manual with entries on characters, ship cross-sections, details about planets and various locations, ongoing political conflicts. Sort of a who's who meets plot primer. It doesn't have any new plot relevant information, but it has a lot of neat background that doesn't make it into the series proper, about family histories or the idiosyncrasies of the ship designs, that kind of thing.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Any chance we'll get DotJ in an Omnibus?

20. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    Too recent, considering the trades are still being released it'dd be a bad buissness decision to omnibus them this soon.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For any UK-based posters, SpeedyHen look to be offering many SW Omnibus editions for £12.61 with free postage.

Don't know how long their stock acquisition takes, but could be worth a gamble.

22. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Awesome, thanks Ben. No idea if they'll still have stock by the time next payday rolls around (LOL MONEY), but if so I may try to pick some of these up. The best option other than that I'd found (not counting second hand stuff on Amazon, where it's sketchy whether you'll get gouged on international shipping) has been Forbidden Planet, which has them at £13.79, so still reasonable, but they also charge a little shipping. And also take about two months to arrive... Ah, FP. Such good prices. Such terrible shipping.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Which FP are you using? There's 2 - I've found the .co.uk one to be very good. Only £1 shipping per item too.

SpeedyHen do pre-charge your card, so your account balance looks odd for a few days.

For stuff that's in stock, they've been quick: Ordered a load of stuff for Xmas on the last TUesday before it, despatched on Weds, arrived on Friday.

An online mate tipped me off about them - turns out they sell the big £75 RRP Marvel Omnibuses at the £40 mark when everyone else is doing £45-46!

24. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah, I meant .co.uk - hence the "little" shipping comment, cus they're pretty great on that front. But you don't find them slow to ship? I basically get the impression that place is like their stock warehouse. Cheap but, like, you get your delivery third-rate freight or something. And about twice in recent memory I've ordered a thing only to be later told they no longer have it in stock and can't get it because it's out of print. And then I frequently don't get my stuff for weeks. Like it doesn't even ship for a few weeks. Like, don't get me wrong, I like them but yeah. My experiences with their shipping have not been stellar.

It's probably because I'm often ordering stuff that's technically out of print and everyone's just still selling off stock. But...who knows. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, see I've only bought new stuff from them - preordered some way ahead - and got it within a week of release - I'm quite wary of places when they say they have stuff in stock or need to acquire, when I know said item's gone out of print!

For out of print items, AbeBooks are good, as is Ebay.

This stuff sometimes comes down to the luck of looking in the right place at the right time, think that's how I snagged Nikolai Dante Volume 3. (Infamously out of print!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.