main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Omnibus Program: A Place for Everything?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by marvelfett11, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I think most if not all what has been listed is in my old list (except for recent comics).

I don't recall the Italian comic or "R2-D2's Tales from the Data Banks". What are the details on these?

2. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I just searched, I guess Star Wars Summer Special 1985 is the issue of the R2-D2 story. I'll need to check to see if I have that issue in my collection.

3. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    "Il Potere Della Forza" is an Italian comic released by Hasbro around when TPM was released (cover). It's mainly just a very brief retelling of Eps. I and IV-VI from the perspectives of Yoda and Palpatine.
    "R2-D2's Tales from the Data Banks" is a comic found in Marvel UK's Star Wars Summer Special 1985. It's a reprint of an old Atlas or Marvel story from their sci-fi/horror anthologies (Tales of Suspense, Journey into Mystery, etc.). I'm not sure which title and issue it was originally published in. It's an interesting story, and it's written by Stan Lee and illustrated by Steve Ditko. It counts as a Star Wars story because it was reprinted with the new SW title.

Edit: Yep, you found the source.

4. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    So in the 1985 special, a previously published scifi comic story was reprinted and branded as Star Wars?

5. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Just saw that A Long Time Ago . . . (Volume 3) is coming out February 22nd. Link

6. Plaristes

Jul 2, 2007
    Yep.

7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    The info. above on the Droids/Ewoks/UK/Pizzazz comics re: the ALTA Omnibuses is great to know - I had been wondering about this since these ALTA Omnibuses were first announced earlier this year. So, it sounds like we won't see these before 2012 at the earliest, since they still have to finish up all of the Marvel issues. It's too bad the more obscure Droids/Ewoks/UK/Pizzazz material weren't published first, since the Marvel issues were already reprinted by DH back in 2002-2003. However, I guess it made more logical sense to re-reprint these Marvel issues first in the Omnibuses since they're more well known and may sell better to the more casual SW fan.

8. Plaristes

Jul 2, 2007
    Okay, I just double checked and "R2-D2's Tales from the Data Banks," in Marvel UK's Star Wars Summer Special 1985, was originally titled "I am Not Human!" in Tales to Astonish 42 in 1963.

9. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I really hope that between Omnibus: A Long Time Ago Volumes 4 and 5, we get either Omnibus: Empire, Volume 1 or
    else Omnibus: Clone Wars, Volume 1(I'm hoping for this one more).

10. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    I hope they don't put the Empire issues into an Omni. I just spent a lot of money to collect the entire TPB collection.

11. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm not even buying trades any more, just holding out for the eventual Omnis. The stated goal is to collect everything, and even if they don't get to Empire for another five or ten years, I've plenty to read until then.

12. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Same here. Even with only three or four omnibuses released per year, that's still probably more comics than I could have read or afforded in the same amount of time. I don't think I was ever caught up on the comics anyway; what's another half-a-decade. :p

TC

13. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    That was my plan, though I bent and bought Legacy and KOTOR when Borders was offering 50% off of trades... I'll probably still replace them with Omnis when they come out eventually. Maybe even manage a profit on some of them like I did with the early Republic trades. :)

14. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    I had given up on TPBs, except then I found the non-Marvel film adaptations and thought they'd be cool. So I recently bought AOTC, ROTS, and the Infinities versions of ANH, TESB, and ROTJ.

The only two TPBs I plan to buy from now on (other than GNs like TFU2) are TPM and the Special Edition version of ANH.

I made my peace with the redundancy of my collection a while ago. I figure when one day the omnibus programme catches up to me, then I'll be able to take all those redundant TPBs and pass them on to The Next Generation (either my own eventual children or my sister's recently-born ones, whoever likes Star Wars more I guess).

15. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I don't buy any omnis, trades, or singles, I just take them out from the local library.

16. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    The only reason I even ordered those Empire Trades was because I already had two (one from a different LCS, the other fron a discount book store) and Previews had them on DH's resolicit list.

17. marvelfett11

marvelfett11 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    I found 2 interesting links.

The first is for ALTA Vol. 3. While it lists it as Vol. #1, if you scroll down after clicking on "Look Inside", the back cover confirms that Annual #2 is included in this volume.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Omnibus-Long-Time/dp/1595824863/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294456599&sr=1-3

The second is for a Titan Books release for Vol. #4.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Omnibus-Long-Time/dp/0857682741/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294456591&sr=1-10

18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Interesting. The release date for ALTA 4 seems wrong, though. It's same time At War with the Empire is going to be released. I'd presume when it's properly announced it'll change to somewhere June.
    But if that's correct page number, it means original ALTA TPB:s have only about 550-600 pages un-omnibused after the fourth one is released. So what will be in ALTA 6? Marvel UK? Return of the Jedi? Ewoks and Droids will most propably be in the same Omnibus, together they'll be just over 400 pages.
    How much did Marvel UK have its own stories, by the way? I tried calculating by using Wookiepedia, but I ended up with 624 pages which seems too much for me.

19. marvelfett11

Apr 21, 2002
    I'm pretty sure that ROTJ will be inserted beteween SW #80 and #81 where it chronilogically belongs.

As for the UK stuff, and I'm just guessing, but I believe it will be it's own omnibus.

Droids and Ewoks will problably both be contained in a single omnibus as well.

Again, I'm only guessing, but that would seem to make sense.

20. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    Actually, that is Amazon's listing for Volume 1, it's just that somehow images that belong to Volume 3 were mistakenly attached to the listing for Volume 1. I submitted an image feedback, so we'll see if things get corrected.

21. marvelfett11

Apr 21, 2002
    [/quote]

Actually, that is Amazon's listing for Volume 1.[/quote]

I thought that was what I said ;)

22. mbruno

Jan 19, 2010
    Well, the way you worded it, it seemed like you were saying that Volume 3's entry was mislabeled as Volume 1. Oh well, live and learn. :)

23. marvelfett11

Apr 21, 2002
    Yeah, well looking at it now I can see what you mean.:p

24. mbruno

Jan 19, 2010
    Would you happen to have any idea when ALTA Volume 3's release date was changed to January 19? That date is given on both Dark Horse's website and Amazon's listing for the book.

25. marvelfett11

Apr 21, 2002
    A couple of months ago if memory serves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.