main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Omnibus Program: A Place for Everything?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by marvelfett11, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm 99% certain that just like At War with the Empire only collected the Empire and Rebellion series, The Republic Goes to War will only collect the Republic comics from 2003-2006. The name is a big clue. There is stuff enough for three Omnibuses, so that will be it.

2. Shepherd492

Shepherd492 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2011
    I'm disappointed, but only because this means only 4 for this year and I already have nearly everything that could be in this (Rep. goes to war) collection. Still appreciate the series though.

3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I don't think "Routine Valor" was ever collected in a TPB, so unless you already have the single issue, this could be a chance to pick it up.

4. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Given that Randy specifically say it's "the first of three Omnibus volumes to focus on the events of the Clone Wars from a slightly different perspective than the TV show," it's a pretty good bet that none of the newer stuff will be included.

I would further assume that these will include the Jedi one-shots as well as side material like Obsession and General Grievous, but has anybody done the math as to whether three Omnis could fit these with Republic?

5. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    I have done some calculations (it seems that I should get out more).

Republic 46-83 (Honor and Duty and after-Purge-stories included), Jedi series, Obsession, General Grievous, Brothers in Arms, Routine Valor and three Purge one-shots together are 1364 pages, when only counting comic pages. Covers and credits included it could be over 1400. So just enough for three Omnibuses. Some Purge-and-after stories could be taken out.

What I'm interested in is whether the titles will be The Clone Wars: The Republic Goes to War 1,2,3 or The Clone Wars 1,2,3 and changing subtitles. For me "Goes to War" wouldn't fit with 19 BBY stories.

6. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    Read the article more closely. It says:

So it isn't "Republic Goes To War Volume 1", it's "Republic Goes To War", the first of three books to focus on the series. It is likely that Volume 2 and Volume 3 will have other, more appropriate names.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd be surprised if Honor and Duty is included- even ignoring the quality issues of the story and it being a very poor opener to an omnibus series, it's a pre-AOTC story that has very little at all to do with the CW itself (you have the early steps of the Separatists forming, yes, but that's not that relevant). Autem cameos in Jedi: Shaak Ti, but that's all as far as the other CW comics go.

Additionally, DHC previously collected H&D as part of the Republic series, not as part of the Clone Wars collections (as H&D is pre-AOTC and the final Autem issue is post-ROTS).

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    As a huge fan of the old-skool SW EU material (late '70's/'80's), I am glad that we recently got the last Omnibus reprinting the Marvel issues & will also be getting the forthcoming Omni in June reprinting the Ewoks/Droids comics.

That being said, I am very dissapointed we won't be getting any more of this classic EU material in 2012. Back in 2010 when it was first announced that DH would be reprinting the Droids/Ewoks/UK/3D/other obscure SW material in Omnibuses, I was thinking all of these volumes would be released between 2010-2012. However, it looks like we have longer to wait than I originally thought. Hopefully the rest of this classic material like the UK, 3D, and other obscure strips will fit into 1-2 volumes, which we'll hopefully see in 2013.

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    But where else would they put it? Didn't they already collect the other pre-Clone Wars Republic issues in previous omnibuses?

TC

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good point- maybe they're saving them for a post-ROTS Omni (or the final Clone Wars Omni) with the remaining Republic issues and Purge one-shots?

11. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Thank you for this, somehow I didn't read it correctly. But considering the timeline changes, we can't be sure how much of the Republic is now in the first months of the war.

Regarding Honor and Duty, the best place for it would have been Menace Revealed. Now it feels quite out of place wherever it's put. Unless they have a secret plan.

By the way, has there been an official word for why Podracing Tales wasn't printed in TPM-themed omnibuses? Such as there being no good copy of it, like there wasn't one for Prelude for Rebellion 0.

12. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    I never got that excuse. There's an online copy of PtR 0 right here. It looks fine to me.

13. Taral-DLOS

Jun 29, 2009
    I think Honor and Duty would fit neatly in some kind of "Omnibus: Fringe", which would collect all the weird stories about non-main-characters spread across the saga. It would include Podracing Tales, Honor and Duty (incl. Republic 78), the Jabba the Hutt comics (incl. The Jabba Tape), The Bounty Hunters: Scoundrel's Wages, The Bounty Hunters: Kenix Kil, and any other oddball ones I can't think of now.

14. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Why Prelude to Rebellion #0 is not reprinted:

15. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    "Kenix Kil" should probably go with whatever omnibus includes the Crimson Empire comics. I could see that one looking like this:

Dark Empire
    Dark Empire II
    Empire's End
    Crimson Empire
    Kenix Kil
    Crimson Empire II
    Hard Currency
    The Third Time Pays for All
    Crimson Empire III (if they'd reprint it so soon after it came out)

Why couldn't they just format it like the version I linked to above?

Also, I thought the original idea behind the omnibuses was to reprint all the comics in chronological order. Now it seems like they're being grouped by theme, series, or subject. Did they ever mention why they changed their methodology?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They've always had an overall theme- and misc stories tend to get filed within that theme in chronological order.

17. cdgodin

Oct 9, 2009
    Dark Horse June solicits include this omnibus:

Looks like we won't have another omnibus after that for AT LEAST 4 months. [face_worried]

18. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Shouldn't XWRS 1/2 and the Droids cereal comic strip have been included with the X-Wing and Droids omnibuses, then? Maybe they just didn't think about it that much.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    XW 1/2 was an accidental oversight, IIRC. But that worked out for the best since XWRS 1/2 is pre-ANH unlike XWRS itself. So it'll be included in The Other Sons of Tatooine Omni covering Darklighter (another pre-ANH story featuring Biggs) and Sunber.

20. cdgodin

Oct 9, 2009
    I'm pretty sure XW #1/2 was a Biggs story, and it's being collected in The Other Sons of Tatooine Omnibus, along with the 'Darklighter' story arc.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Here were the relevant quotes from Randy about the omni themes and XW #1/2 from back when the first WXRS Omni was announced:

User: "If contents are only speculative, how do you know that X-Wing #1/2 won't be in omnibus #2?"
    Randy: "The idea with the Omnibus editions is to collect stories that it makes sense to put together based on their time periods and casts of characters -- even if the various series that are being collected might have been published years apart from one another. For instance, the story that was published as the X-Wing 1/2 or "Special Edition" (the exact title escapes me) is not part of the X-Wing Omnibus series because it takes place several years prior to any of the other X-Wing stories. Instead, it will appear in whatever collection suits its setting.

It's not an exact science, but we'll try to make it as artful as possible."

User: "X-Wing 1/2 was pre-ANH. It's the RS Special from the Apple Jacks promo that is set around the ROTJ/TRO era."

Randy: "Damn. You're right. That should have gone into the first X-Wing volume. But, maybe there's a place for it in another Omnibus somewhere... It does appear to take place a short time after RotJ. Hmm. This will require some thought. Like I said, it's not an exact science..."

Randy: "You get the Applejacks premium comic in the second volume. It should have been in the first volume, but I got it mixed up with the Wizard edition, which is set in a completely different time period, and didn't include it."
    "The Wizard 1/2 story is technically a "Red Squadron" story, and takes place shortly before ANH (it is a more detailed version of an event that is mentioned in "Darklighter"), so it will appear in some future Omnibus that features stories from that time period."

22. Taral-DLOS

Jun 29, 2009
    Last week I wrote a piece on the Omnibus program for www.eucantina.net.

Check it out: http://www.eucantina.net/archives/12069

23. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    So, we have "Infinities" coming in February... seems a little short for an omnibus, though. Only 12 issues. I suppose I feel greedy, given how massive some of the collections have been recently. Why not throw in some Tag and Bink!

Any idea what might be coming next? Might they start KOTOR or Legacy? I feel like it's probably too early to start with the "Dark Times" stuff, given that we've still got new "Purge" stuff coming in the future. I imagine we'll eventually get a Darth Vader omnibus. Perhaps they'll bundle all the Crimson Empires together, or give us a paperback omnibus of Dark Empire. [face_thinking]

24. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Didn't there used to be a list of all the pre-2006 comics that haven't been omnibused yet?

25. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Not that I'm aware of. But I can compile such a list if you like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.