main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Omnibus: Wild Space Volume 1

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Afaik those got collected in these 4

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Classic_Star_Wars:_The_Early_Adventures_(TPB)
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Classic_Star_Wars_Volume_1:_In_Deadly_Pursuit
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Classic_Star_Wars_Volume_2:_The_Rebel_Storm
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Classic_Star_Wars_Volume_3:_Escape_to_Hoth

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes- but those are very hard to get these days. Hence hoping that they'd be included in a new omnibus.

3. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Those can be found, but aren't really worth it- the Manning strips they included (not all of them) in The Early Adventures were absolutely butchered from their orginal format, and a lot was left our, including from the larger weekend strips. Check out the strip here, for example (and the rest there, too :))

http://dailysw.blogspot.com/2009/12/princess-leia-imperial-servant_13.html

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In which case- that's another reason for the next omnibus to include them, in complete, fixed form.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Wait what?! Hublin has a sword and a noble beard?! Now how awesome is that!

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Oooh, which ones? Thank you, Eddie! :)

Man, I need to read those. I think in the Early Adventures version Leia just pulls a random spritzer of some identified substance and sprays Hublin's face just for being a notorious Imperial officer. :p This makes more sense.

I have to say, I do appreciate that Dark Horse reprinted many of the Weekly stories in their original form--I hadn't seen the multipart stories in this format; it was really interesting. I suspect they may have been edited slightly for the Four New Adventures collection; I'll have to compare the two.

For me, the most exciting thing about the Omnibus was getting to read the entire Star Wars Kids arc at last--I have a few issues, but I never managed to track down all of them. :)

TC

eddie1969 and jaoblias like this.
  7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    That is a really cool strip. Lots of interesting things going on:
    • Star Destroyer in atmosphere
    • Stimufrost is ridiculous. It needs to be used more.
    • That has to be a green Calibop that Leia stimufrosts right before she overfrosts Hublin.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll probably order this tomorrow as the local bookstore didn't have it when I was there Friday. A bunch of books are coming out June 20 that I want so I'll stick an Amazon UK order in.

9. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    If memory serves, DH used his copies of The Mixed-Up Droid and "Gambler's Quest." DH also used several comics from Joe Bongiorno's collection, but I'm not sure which ones.

eddie1969 likes this.
  10. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    Wasn't there an interview or something where they discussed a future omnibus of the newspaper stuff?

11. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I don't mind the b&w artwork either. I speculate that since the 1981 SW Marvel illustrated book (in color) is long OOP & probably very HTF, they may not have had this as a reference. Or, if they did, maybe they didn't want to just reprint this since it would have looked like a scan?! Not familiar with what goes into reprinting previously published material, however.

Yes, I do rememember an interview with DH sometime in the past year?! where this was discussed, but haven't heard anything for a while regarding this. If they were to reprint the Russ Manning & Williamson/Goodwin newspaper strips in their entirety, I would prefer a large oversized book (either HC or TPB), not an Omni - an Omni would be too small to do justice to these strips as they originally looked - I'm thinking that they would almost have to be printed length-wise (i.e., landscape as opposed to portrait) to do justice to the original strips.

Note that back in the early 1990's, the original b&w Williamson/Goodwin newspaper strips were published in a series of oversized hardcovers, and looked great. These volumes are long OOP & are quite expensive these days, however.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Is it all of the CSW stories that have been modified, or just certain volumes/arcs? If so, which ones? Thatcould potentially mess around with my GCW real time calculations...

They reprinted the color version for the deluxe Luke Skywalker Omni from 4 or 5 years ago.

13. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    I think it's all of them, more or less. The Classic Star Wars reprints sometimes added dialogue and artwork in addition to taking things out, so if you really want the whole story, it's best to read both. I don't know how much it would change the timeline, but the Russ Manning stories are definitely more coherent when read in their original form.

TC

14. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    OK, I never saw that Luke Skywalker HC oversized volume from several years back. Since that's the case, I have no idea why they didn't reprint the stories in color (from the 1981 Marvel illustrated book) in this Omni. Maybe they thought reprinting them in b&w would look better...However, without official confirmation from DH, this is all speculation.

15. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    The version of "The Day After The Death Star" that appeared in the 2008 Luke Skywalker HC was newly recoloured by Dan Jackson specifically for that publication if I recall... they didn't use the older Marie Severin coloured version from 1981.

jaoblias likes this.
  16. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    That makes sense, I'dd probably be way to expensive to recolour every single B%W story as opposed to just the one from the Luke hardcover.

17. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    And having revisited my four stories in color collection, it turns out that there are several panels missing and many are cropped, so recolorizing them would have been a bigger deal than I thought...

TC

18. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    The panels are missing in the Marvel Illustrated Books version?

19. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, not the Omnibus reprint. Some of the stories ran across multiple issues, so those summing up what happened the previous week are gone in the Illustrated Books version. The panels have also been cropped significantly to fit the smaller pages.

TC

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My copy finally came from Amazon UK today.

jaoblias likes this.
  21. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Recently finished reading all of this Wild Space Omni - Excellent stuff. Here is my in-depth review. Note this is an edited version of a post I made on another board:

- The Keeper's World had an old-skool Star Trek vibe.

- Kingdom of Ice (released in 1979) seemed to unintentionally?! foreshadow the Hoth scenes in ESB.

- The high point of this collection are definitely the Carmine Infantino UK issues - superb. My favorite storyline would have to be World of Fire.

- There has been speculation on this thread as to why all of the CI UK stories are reprinted here in the original b&w, despite the fact that some of the stories had been reprinted in color years ago. After reading all of these stories, I suspect that the reason for this was because of consistency - by reprinting all of the CI UK issues in b&w (instead of half in b&w, and half in color) it really showcases CI's great line-art, and, it makes for a more even reading experience. Sure, the Devilworlds comics were all in color, but none of those had CI art. Just my .02, and I could be completely wrong about this.

- Many of the Alan Moore & Steve Moore-written stories were especially strange/bizarre, even by SW standards: Tilotny throws a Shape was quite trippy!; & Rust Never Sleeps was disturbing to me in that it showed innocent Droids being harmed (RNS also reminded me somewhat of the excellent Marvel SW issue Droid World). Dark Lord's Conscience, Blind Fury, and Death Masque all had strong horror elements to them, which seemed to be unusual in SW stories (at least at that time).

- It's interesting that in both Day after the Death Star and one of the regular Marvel SW issues also drawn by CI (#26?!), the story involved a Tie-fighter pilot crash-landing on Yavin. However, I was puzzled that in both comics the Tie pilot's outfit didn't look anything like the correct black outfit worn in the films. The artist/writer should have known what the Tie-pilots looked like, since they were clearly seen several times in ANH. This just goes to show you that continuity was looser at that time, and also they may not have had photo references of the Tie Pilots on-hand when drawing them....

- I was glad to finally read the 3D issues for the very first time. The first story with Luke going back to Tattoine & finding someone to take over his aunt & uncle's abandoned moisture farm was probably my favorite; also liked the use of the Max Rebo-like alien in issue #3.

-The stories & Ken Steacy artwork in the Star Wars Kids stories was excellent. This was the first time I had read these as well.

- Also enjoyed the rare Shadows of the Empire comics & pin-ups; I have fond memories of SOTE, and enjoyed the whole multi-media experience back in '96, i.e. the novel, comic, soundtrack, figures, etc.

In any case, very nice collection. As I've mentioned before, this is definitely my favorite Star Wars Omni yet!

BigAl6ft6 and jaoblias like this.
  22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I enjoyed it and am looking forward to part 2 in October. My only quibble (and it's a minor one) is that it would have been nice to see the 3D ones in 3D. But it's not a dealbreaker.

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

That one was just outright scary from what I remember,especially what happened to the those two Troopers.

24. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Got a question about the contents of the Wild Space Vol.1 Omnibus, Were some of the colorized Marvel Star Wars UK stories hard to read due to small text? I recently read the UK issues that are included in the newly released Original Marvel Years Omnibus Vol.3 and some of the colorized ones are hard to read due to the text being very small and I was wondering if it was the same in the Wild Space Omnibus.

25. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Here's an example of what I'm talking about- http://i.imgur.com/R3V3v.jpg