main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

On Anakin's loss of visions

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by JawaStew, Nov 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JawaStew

JawaStew Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    I couldn't find a topic like this and have been meaning to post it for days...

Through AOTC and ROTS, Anakin is shown to have a very strong prescience - Shmi and Padme's deaths.

However, in ROTJ, Vader appears to be awed by the Emperor's powers - 'I have foreseen it.'

So what happened to Anakin's ability to see the future? There's several possibilities:

1) He simply lost it when he joined the Dark Side, or due to his injuries
    2) His power of vision only concerned people that he loved; and loving no one as Vader, they left him
    3) He never had any such power - the visions were cast upon him by Sidious

Thoughts? Has there been anything official on the subject?

2. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i think that the 3 options are possible,i just cant chose only one

3. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    You may actually have found a Valid plot hole. =D= I don't think it was thought of by Lucas at the Time of ROTJ as he never even knew then he'd do the PT. the Focus of Visions was on Luke ( ESB) at that time. but good observation

4. JawaStew

Jun 8, 2005
    I guess I lean toward Sidious insinuating the visions. As I've said before, I prefer a wildly powerful Sidious to a charlatan Wizard of Oz.

Perhaps Anakin would never have the power of prescience - as the avatar of the Force, it seems like he should not be able to see the workings of the Force. He is to serve as a conduit of the Force's will.

To me it makes sense that the visions should have been implanted - perhaps he saw the events and transferred his vision to Anakin, violating the Force's edict that he should not be able to see the future.

5. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    i agree with DUGGY.i think this could be the first "real plot hole" that i have seen so far

6. JawaStew

Jun 8, 2005
    Don't worry, Lucas will be pressed for an explanation at some stage, give his answer, and then change it later on in the Super-Duper Ultimate Nerd Edition of Star Wars, coming in 2009!

7. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    i thought it was for 2007...[face_thinking]

8. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    Well, look at it this way. In the PT, the only time we see Anakin seeing the future is when he is focusing his fear on someone he loves like Shmi or Padme. It's Anakin's fear of loss that spawned the dreams and visions.

Vader in the OT has controlled his fear.

Palpatine was always able to see the future - or one possible future. Anakin could only see the things he was most focused on.

9. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    ewok has an interesting point too...[face_thinking] i agree with him...for a change:p

10. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Well, look at it this way. In the PT, the only time we see Anakin seeing the future is when he is focusing his fear on someone he loves like Shmi or Padme. It's Anakin's fear of loss that spawned the dreams and visions.

Vader in the OT has controlled his fear.

Palpatine was always able to see the future - or one possible future. Anakin could only see the things he was most focused on.

This works well also. I'm sure this is the Angle Lucas would use to explain it. if he had to

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Apparently, Vader doesn't sleep anymore. So visions in his dreams are no longer the case. Regular visions might be clouded for him. The ones that he had were based on fear of loss. Palpatine was afraid that Luke would destroy him, so he forsaw Luke destroying the Empire. But he didn't realize how it would happen. Just that it would happen.

12. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    :confused: They are probilly visions of the future.

13. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    That's why Yoda's admonishment to Anakin to be wary about sensing the future
    is so important. And remember, Palpatine doesn't so much see the future as
    much as create the future.

14. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Through AOTC and ROTS, Anakin is shown to have a very strong prescience - Shmi and Padme's deaths.

However, in ROTJ, Vader appears to be awed by the Emperor's powers - 'I have foreseen it.'

So what happened to Anakin's ability to see the future? There's several possibilities:

1) He simply lost it when he joined the Dark Side, or due to his injuries
    2) His power of vision only concerned people that he loved; and loving no one as Vader, they left him
    3) He never had any such power - the visions were cast upon him by Sidious

Thoughts? Has there been anything official on the subject?

Yes, he had the dreams of Shmi and Padmes deaths. But since Luke or Leia didnt die, he didnt have those dreams. The absence of those dreams should have told him something also. :D

15. cymbalmonkey

cymbalmonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    perhaps Vader did have visions? perhaps that was how he knew to get off the death star before it exploded? perhaps that's how he knew Luke was his son and a Jedi Padawan? perhaps that's how he knew by torturing his friends, Luke would try to rescue them? perhaps he forsaw that Luke would seek him out but was playing dumb with Palps on DS2?

i think an interesting ability Vader did pick up by the time of the OT was the ability to mask his thoughts/feelings much like Chancellor Palpatine was able to do with the Jedi in the PT ... it seems he's constantly plotting behind Palpatine's back and playing dumb and Sidious doesn't quite pick up on it ... of course, logically, Sidious knew something was up with Vader, but he couldn't sense the betrayal or the conflict Luke could sense ...

Perhaps Vader simply hid or masked his own visions of the future from Palpatine and because he had learned to use the dark side to cloud others visions of him, Sidious could not probe his mind for weakness as he had done with his preminitions of Padme in ROTS?

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    The book Dark Lord says that he stopped having Force visions after his accident, and as Sinister says, he sleeps rarely. He does have nightmares when he sleeps but they aren't visions.

17. SYKO

SYKO Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2001

Hehehe accident. Yea Vader no longer sleeps and he has nightmares when he does but not visions.

18. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    I think it was probably 1. As far as I've know only very powerful Force users have visions, which Vader lost when he lost most of his power after his accident.

19. SYKO

SYKO Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2001

Anakin was strong after the Lava bath just not as strong as he potentialy would have been had he not washed in lava. He didnt go from most potentialy powerfull Jedi ever to WAB.

20. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004

I'm not saying he wasn't still strong, he just wasn't strong enough to recieve visions like he did before.

21. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    while i don't see how vader really has controlled his fear in terms of really mastering it, i'm going with that. the dreams never were visions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.