main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knox, TN On DVD...original or SE Trilogy?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by K9-Rod, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K9-Rod

K9-Rod Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2002
    I found this in another forum and thought some of you might like to know:

"There is a kind of grass roots movement underway to demonstrate to
    Mr. Lucas, that all the fans want is the versions of the films they've
    known and loved since childhood.

http://www.originaltrilogy.com

The site itself is still under construction, but right now you can
    hoped that it will be a resource for fans to make thier voices heard.

When you sign up, you get the confirmation email stating the site's
    mission.

I say it can't hurt, the more voices we get out there the better. And
    maybe....just maybe GL will have a change of heart."

I would love it if they made a DVD set for each episode with disk 1 having the original and disk 2 having the SE.

I wouldn't mind paying a little more for that versus the regular $20 price for a DVD

2. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    It's news like this that makes me really glad I still have the original trilogy on laserdisc, *and* the means to watch them that way... :D

Fenn

3. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    George Lucas has been pretty vehement about an SE only official DVD release so it's an uphill battle to get the original version out. He insists that the original version is a rough cut and that the SE's are his true, finished, original vision of the trilogy.

While I can believe George about ANH being incomplete because of studio controls being so tight (except for Greedo shooting first which is revisionism incarnate), the rest of it is garbage. The SE's are basically the original versions cleaned up and restored digitally with newer FX in places that look kewl. To be honest I think the real reason why the original version will not be released on DVD is because George Lucas is stubborn about Greedo shooting first and secondly because the original versions were optically restored (One last time)/digitally remastered and not digitally (SE) restored/digitally remastered, so on DVD it will not look as good.

My guess is that the OT DVD SE will probably be even more spiffed up digitally and have even more footage added or changed. It's almost a fact that ANH's DVD score is going to be altered to include the Imperial March, so that's a tip-off to expect even more changes. I'm looking forward to it, but I would like to see the originals get the DVD treatment. Maybe it's something that could be offered as an exclusive special release?

4. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I joined, and let some of my friends know about it too. True, it wont do any good most likely, but that can be said for any protest. At least we're doing what we can :D

5. Padawan519

Padawan519 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    Eh, I don't have a problem with the SE. It's not THAT different that the originals. OK, so they're cleaned up a bit. That's good, isn't it? Reincorporated deleted scenes. That too is good. But Greedo shooting first-that's just some leftist, anti-gun fascism :mad: But it would be cool to see both versions released.

6. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    I'm with you 100% Chad, but I also think the originals should get cleaned up and put on DVD. I mean without the original version, there couldn't have been an SE right?

7. Padawan519

Padawan519 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    Oh, don't get me wrong, if they put the OT out on DVD, I'd be first in line to get it. But I won't be unhappy with the SE :) It does seem to me like they're ignoring a major portion of the SW fanbase (and LOTS of potential profit) by not offering them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.