main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC On Gender, Catfishing and the Internet

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

My beard takes offense to that.

:p

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, like Tessark, this will fall into the history and we won't focus on it like we are now. The shock has to wear off a bit first.

Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I really didn't see this coming. I guess I kinda figured that within our dwindling forum everyone was pretty much on the level.

Debo likes this.
  4. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beard]Sorry....had[/url] to...

DarthTunick likes this.
  5. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Count me in as one of the JCers who considered "juli" a real friend and shared many personal things with this person. I was initially giving her/him/it the benefit of the doubt but there are so many contradicting things about this character, that is no longer possible. More than outraged I am disappointed that someone feels the need to lie to a large number of people, and for several years at that, in order to feel accepted.

6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    We clearly need to have someone meet up with Tunick and give his beard a real tug to make sure it's real.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I knew something was wrong about him when I found out he was a Cowboys fan.

8. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    I'll go. I'll bet he gives great beard.

harpuah likes this.
  9. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I thought this was old news?

10. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    It became official yesterday. In Internet time that's like a decade.

harpuah and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  11. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I saved the Hat log from Gonzalogate...it was a beautiful moment.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    As far as I know this was never really discussed in a thread so a lot of people (who also don't Hat) were probably unaware. I mean, I knew bits and pieces but definitely not some of the other things mentioned here.

13. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Yeah, I also don't Hat that much anymore and I missed many details so this thread is filling in the gaps.

MrZAP likes this.
  14. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    well, this is.... odd.

haven't communicated much with "juli" recently but certainly did in the past.

the internet eh

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    This is crazy.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I don't think I've ever had a single interaction with this person. I think I know the username. That whole Tessark thing passed me by too.

I'm sad that some of my friends were duped, though. This person obviously sought intimacy, and felt that pretending to be a somewhat "damaged" girl would accomplish that. That's, broadly speaking, probably the core of it. You can guess how someone must feel about themselves to not just think of such a scheme, but actually put it in motion, and then keep it up for years. The desperation of it...

One of the benefits of Facebook is that this sort of thing becomes harder to pull off. Sooner or later it all closes in on the perpetrator.

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    The really stunning thing about this is that this hoax wasn't just done over the course of a few weeks or months, but almost 9 freaking years, and by a user who was quite active (at least at times), even effectively lobbied for the establishment of the Arena. Even for users like me, who didn't have any kind of "personal" relationship with ASG (whatever that even means on an internet forum) it's really just astounding.

18. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I always new that ASG was a dude. Dallas fan as a girl... yeah right!

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Try not to judge. He's likely a male with borderline personality disorder. Wildly bizarre attention seeking behavior. Maybe undiagnosed and untreated. I think it's more commonly diagnosed in women than men, but the men who really have it full-blown - hold onto your ******* hat. This is the kind of person that no clinical psychologist or psychiatrist wants to treat. They are the worst kind of patients. They call their psychologists at all hours of the day and night with fake suicide attempts and manufactured crises of every conceivable kind.

http://www.borderlinepersonalitytoday.com/main/dsmiv.htm

Dark Lady Mara and Bacon164 like this.
  20. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    lol

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    This stuff has been happening since the dawn of the JC, yet it's still fresh and new every time. I love that.

MrZAP and Bacon164 like this.
  22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

But, I am going to judge. I don't want to get involved in any of this but I feel like there's some details being overlooked that should be called out. At least brought to mind. If this was simply just what you said, I would have been fine with it. I don't care what gender someone is, if they were lying about it, what mental disorders they have - if they're a good e-friend, they're a good e-friend. Friends are there to forgive, etc.

What I do care about is the creepy factor that this brings up. Me and "Juli" consistently had what would be considered very intimate conversations about things that I would NEVER discuss with a male on the interwebs. She ALWAYS brought up those subjects. Keep in mind that when me and many of the other females began talking with her, it was years ago. So when I say that once I realized she might be a man and I backed off and became more distant, that's still after all those discussions.

Put 2 and 2 together there and then ask yourself again if you don't want to judge. I don't want any involvement in any of this situation beyond mentioning this, the whole thing just makes me uncomfortable.

23. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    My main hope out of all of this is that people will know the difference between ASO and ASG now, please.

Bacon164, R2-DK, Whitey and 37 others like this.
  24. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    This. All of it.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I concur that it's really an incredible experience to have an exchange of intimate PMs with a wonderful woman. How much does it really matter that it was all fake if it didn't feel fake at the time?

Edit: I understand some of you have a real right to feel victimized. I think it's helpful to understand "what" was doing the victimizing. Probably not a person in any meaningful sense. More a collection of disorders packaged together with an AI able to write text.

Bacon164 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.