main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN On Jammies's bedside table: Watchmen

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003

Hey Gang!

Wow, you all were right-- this is an awesome graphic novel. I'm so enjoying the depth of this graphic novel: the imagery, the motifs, the symbolism, the "play with in a play" with the pirate comic, the political allegory, the non-liner narrative juxtaposed with a very liner (well, mirror image) graphic style. Just awesome. And, very thought provoking too.

So, as I read and re-read, and with the hype of the film; maybe a thread about the novel would be in order. So, if you wish, feel free to add your thoughts on this acclaimed work.

I love the idea of "real world" superheroes, and what that might mean for society. That's why I liked "Man of steel, woman of Kleenex," and was so disappointed with "Hancock." I'm really digging the Watchman character of Rorschach, and his slip into psychosis. Reminds me of, also penned by Moore, Joker: The Killing Joke.

And Mr. Manhattan! What a pathetic character. Poor guy, but that must be how a real world Superman must feel.

And what of the film? Can it really live up to the novel? See, Watchman is what is known as a hyper-medium text. In other words, it is not the story that is compelling, but the way in which the narrative is told within the medium of a comic. Take Joyce's Ulysses. The "plot" is rather banal. However, it is the use of allusion and hyper-reflexivity that gives the novel its depth. Or, take Citizen Kane. Again, the story is not that compelling, but the way the story is told via the film medium makes it one of the greats.

So, how are they going to translate all this to a film? If they just "stick to the story" sure it will be a fun flick, but it will lose all the deep resonance of the comic.

What do you think?

MTFBWY,

Jammies

2. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=62052

New poster looks pretty spiffy. And, the release date is close to my B-day.

Sigh. My 30th birthday.

Sigh.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Soooo, maybe the "what is Jammies reading now" thread is none to interesting.

But, this is funny!

http://livingincinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/watchmen-babies.jpg

Best,

Jammies

4. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Hi :p

I've recently acquired it and plan to read it ... soonlike.

5. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    I actually downloaded it and I will try and have it read soon.

6. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Mike,

Take your time-- I am. Its not that the story is that great, it is the way Alan Moore uses the comic format to tell it. I have been reading a chapter-- then sitting it aside to just think about it a bit. For example (not a spoiler) the comics in the story are of pirates, and, if you think about it-- if superheroes were real, why would you read about them in comics? You would just read the paper, freeing comics up to tell other stories-- like of pirates.

MTFBWY

Jammies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.