main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST On Kasdan...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by FloridaFilmGuy, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abounder

Abounder Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 17, 2014

To add to this I think Han Solo is the most important character for the Star Wars chemistry. He makes every scene entertaining even when he's basically alone (And I thought they smelled bad on the outside), or scenes with nameless troopers (I'll see you in hell), and of course Solo's chemistry with Leia, Luke, 3P0, etc is unmatched. It's still fun to see Solo blast at Vader once he's in sight.

I hope Solo doesn't die but it wouldn't be Star Wars without one of the good guys dying.

2. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    I haven't been keeping up with the spoilers particularly but I'll be surprised if VII and IX aren't very, very different spectacles from VII. Han will definitely die IMO and the two sequels will be mostly about new characters. VII seems like more of a big fan service.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Kasdan was hired because he gets SW and it's characters like few do. He wrote TESB which added so many new elements to SW vader luke relationship, yoda and the mysteries of the force, Han and leia etc. he is one of the main reasons I believe this movie could be great...

4. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    Han certainly dies in Episode 7. I've been saying this from the beginning. Why or how is another story, but the movie will end with Han's state funeral much like Qui-Gon's noble end.

5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    From what I recall, all the rumors have stated that the Arndt draft was heavily focused on Han with barely any Luke until the end. It wasn't until JJ and Kasdan took over that Luke was given more screentime.

Hence, this whole thread is on the wrong track.

BigAl6ft6, Corax78 and bobbyroberts like this.
  6. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I say that Han Solo will not only survive EP VII; but he will survive until the end of EP IX, and die with Chewie, and the Falcon. Either way, there has never been any thing official or substantial saying that Han Solo dies at all; only fan speculation. [face_peace]

7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It was originally announced that Larry Kasdan was going to be a producer for Eps VIII and IX, ive not heard anything lately has this changed?

8. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Lmaoing at people boasting they work in the entertainment industry and have "Emmys on their shelves". Yeah, ok. Lol Whether you're in the industry or not, you can't legit try to spit knowledge on the writing process of any movie unless you're involved, let alone STAR WARS: EPISODE VII.

Death_Jar_Jar and Corax78 like this.
  9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

You can legit spit knowledge on basic screenwriting credit.

As in script doctors and dialogue "punchers" aren't hired, paid, and announced as full screenplay writers.

10. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    I do agree with that. I was just laughing at how people are trying to make their opinions count more by stating they're in the entertainment industry. I mean, who cares? Lol If you're working on Episode VII, maybe.

jaqen likes this.
  11. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    With the Disney buy-out and everything related to promotion of Starwars in general, we are seeing a massive shift towards trying to "recapture the magic of the OT." Everything from Starwars Rebels to the toylines, to "rebooting" the EU, leads me to believe Disney very much wants to market the nostalgia of the OT.

There obviously may be more to it, but it seems like Disney wants to bring in anyone that was well regarded from the original movies. I think Kasdan is part of that. I am pretty sure they would have attempted to get Irvin Kershner involved as well had he still been alive at the time of the announcement. I don't know if we can know specifically what Kasdan would be brought on for, but I would assume it is more about getting his general input and opinion on things. They want the film to "feel" like the original trilogy, and the best way to do that(in Disney's mind), is to get people that worked on the original trilogy.

I would actually be really interested to know if Disney has attempted to contact Gary Kurtz at all. Although, I don't know if that would be a completely good or bad thing, I think it would definitely confirm the sort of mindset they are going for.

TK327 and KitsterAKABobaFett like this.
  12. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Sounds like a slam-dunk theory.

But seriously, since Episode VIII is still far away it's not out of the realm of possibility Kasdan could be hired for that script too.

13. FloridaFilmGuy

FloridaFilmGuy Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 1, 2000
    SW fans, man, we are passionate. You guys want my blood? You got it. There it is. Let the vultures come and pick at my eyeballs as my body lays there strewn on the ground. Kick my head around, loosen it from my mangled corpse. hang me from a bridge. Just don't take my wallet, please. Send that **** back to my wife.

TKT likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Nah, I'll just take your Emmy. Sell that **** on ebay. :p

15. FloridaFilmGuy

May 1, 2000
    Hell no. Those aren't easy to win. ;)

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm still wondering if Ardnt will get a screenplay credit along with Abrams and Kasdan or will he be relegated to "story"? Or will be not be there at all? From what I understand, the WGA tends to lean towards actual structural changes to the script aside from just dialogue, if something goes to arbitration. Check out the story / screenplay credits for "The Avengers". Joss Whedon said he hated the original script but it still says story by Zack Penn and Joss Whedon, even though Whedon threw the original script out. (probably Penn's script had the same characters and structure, hence he still gets a co-story credit).

there are a lot of reasons I wanna see a trailer, not the least of which to get a gander at the writing credits.

Abadacus likes this.
  17. FloridaFilmGuy

May 1, 2000
    There are percentage formulas to determine all that. I suspect "Story By: George Lucas" will be there....

Artoo-Dion and Satipo like this.
  18. There_Are_Four_Lights

There_Are_Four_Lights Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    I just figured it was because Kasdan was going to do VII through IX when they were under discussion back in the '80s. He probably knew a lot about those stories from discussions with George.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Does Kasdan write in cursive or brail?

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

I'd put good money that Lucas will get a story by credit but he probably won't be the sole "story by" credit. I would guess it might read something like "Story by George Lucas & Michael Arndt and Lawerence Kassdan & JJ Abrams" and "screenplay by JJ Abrams & Lawerence Kassadan".

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Yes! I am still waiting to see it myself.

22. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Although I believe there is some truth in your observation, I think it goes a tad too far.

They hired concept artists Doug Chiang and Iain McCaig. Also, there is Head Visual Effects Supervisor John Knoll, who I believe is now head of ILM. Each of these people are OT-SE and PT veterans. I simply think they're trying to make the best films possible with the best talent and Kasdan is part of that train of thought. Additionally, I think it's all about passing on what you have learned.

Gen Rendar likes this.
  23. Darth Lurker

Darth Lurker Jedi Knight star 1

May 24, 2014
    My guess is it will say something along the lines of:

Story by Kasdan & Abrams
    Based on "Star Wars" created by George Lucas

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

That would be interesting but from what I understand Ardnt was originally working off of Lucas' ST treatments, so I wonder when they rewrote it did they go back to Lucas' treatments? Toss them entirely? Is the structure of the script still based upon what Arndt did? Was Lucas involved in the rewrite? (There is a quote from Lucas' kid that he and JJ were "talking constantly" and there's a photo out there of Abrams / Lucas & Kennedy).

25. Darth Lurker

Darth Lurker Jedi Knight star 1

May 24, 2014
    Short answer -- We won't know anything until we see a poster or teaser with credits.

Unless I missed something, I thought ol' George was only a consultant on these new films. I'm sure he has had some major input to the story, (since he created the universe and all) but ultimately the powers that be are able to accept or reject anything since the sale. That said, the "talking constantly" would most likely be round table discussions about what works and what doesn't as far as the in-universe is involved. Things like, "Hey George, what exactly WAS going on for the 30 years after RotJ?" Or things like, "Did the Emperor have a secret apprentice that nobody would have known about? A contingency plan in case he was killed?" Story IDEAS, but not so much the story itself.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.