main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST On Kasdan...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by FloridaFilmGuy, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Agree that there was some noiresque dialogue in ANH. But my sense is that that was ramped up in ESB. I agree that Brackett would be an obvious choice if that was the intent. Has Lucas gone on record as saying why he was interested in Brackett? I'd love to know. It seems obvious as to why, but it would be great to find confirmation from someone involved in the production.

Immortiss likes this.
  2. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    From what I've read in Rinzlers making of book almost all of Bracketts draft was throw out. George gave her credit out of respect when she died during pre production. From what I remember her draft went in a differnt tone and direction than he wanted.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    No disrespect to Brackett but Kasdan wrote most of the Empire's script, and the Raiders script, two classic Films, may be in the top ten all time films IMHO. and yodasbum if what you say is true in Rinzler's book that he says most of Brackett's script was thrown out then that further proves the point I am trying to make.

yodasbum likes this.
  4. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, it is interesting to read the extracts of the story discussions in Rinzler's book . He really got into the mythology and characters, it was Kasdan who actually diapered with the idea that Yoda was not a warrior and no match for someone like Vader, and (I believe) he also didn't like the idea that anyone cold learn to use the Force.

I like that Kasdan is able to think like that - I may find his own original works to be boring for the most part, but he can clearly do good work with something like Star Wars.. In partnership with Abrams we should get some good stuff.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Here is Kasdan's filmography. I've bolded the ones I've seen. I've liked them all.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    3. Body Heat
    4.Continental Divide
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. The Big Chill
    7. Silverado
    8. The Accidental Tourist
    9. I Love You to Death
    10. Grand Canyon
    11. The Bodyguard
    12. Wyatt Earp
    13. French Kiss
    14. Mumford
    15. Dreamcatcher
    16. Darling Companion
    17. Hotel Vendome
    18. Star Wars Episode VII

TK327, plaidphoenix and Satipo like this.
  6. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Wow, so ESB is the first film he has ever written?!

7. ksb36

ksb36 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2014
    It's been a while since I read Brackett's ESB draft, but I remember thinking there were some recognizable elements of Brackett's screenplay in the final film.

In any case, the Writer's Guild really, really likes first writers. The first person to have a go at creating a screenplay typically gets an official credit. A couple of examples that come to mind are The Avengers--Whedon flat out stated that he threw out every word of Zan Penn's original script and Penn still got a credit. James Gunn also made noise about the original Guardians of the Galaxy writer getting too much credit, but who knows if there's any truth in that, or just egos (they shared the writing credit).

Immortiss likes this.
  8. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I just read Brackett's draft. The basic structure of her draft is very similar to the final draft. The biggest difference is that Vader is still not Luke's father in this draft. I was, however, surprised to find that the dialogue was not snappier in her draft. But then, the poor woman was dying of cancer when she wrote it. Apparently Lucas did not know this at the time.

Does anyone know how fleshed out the treatment she was working from was?

Immortiss likes this.
  9. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    IIRC, the draft is very different, despite the similarities in structure.

TK327 and Immortiss like this.
  10. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    On a coarse level, most of the elements are there. But how each set piece plays out is very different. And I don't think a single line of dialogue remains from her draft.

Some interesting differences in her draft:
    Lando is a clone
    Luke's father appears as a force ghost
    Luke is knighted by Yoda (Minch in her draft), his dad and Ben
    Bespin is called Hoth and has a habitable surface; cloud city is actually an orbital city
    Vader still wants Luke to join him, but isn't Luke's father
    Wampas attack the rebel base en masse

And finally, there is a crystal in Luke's saber with coordinates for Dagobah (referred to only as Bog Planet in her draft).

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

First one for which he got credit.

Really want a Special Edition with the wampa attack :p

12. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

The crystal with the Dagobah coordinates was something I thought could be recycled if the saber starting the quest rumours are true.

It could work in the same way as Leia's hologram does in ANH. Only the correct recipient would understand the full meaning of the message or coordinates, etc. We've seen in Rebels how Holcrons will open for force-users.

Artoo-Dion and TK327 like this.
  13. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Ha! Satipo, that's why I added that one. Agree that they may have recycled that bit!

Satipo likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Some multiple Oscar nominated films are terrible.

See: The Artist, Out of Africa, Dead Poet's Society, etc.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't know. I think that's personal taste. At least when you're talking Oscar noms you've got some objective point of reference for the discussion beyond "His films suck"/"No they don't".

Pro Scoundrel and Satipo like this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Man, tough crowd. I liked all of those.

17. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    This is the only Kasdan movie I've seen that I didn't care for.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Meh, I'm in the minority. You're fine.;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

How so?

20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    "Kasdan has been nominated for multiple Oscars" is a fact. Facts are objective.

21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Did you mean not objective?

The fact can't be denied, but the argument is dependent on the worth a person places on Oscars.

22. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    No, I meant objective. Seriously, where is there to go after "I don't like his films" or even "his film are well-written, per the craft of screenwriting", except by looking at critical response? The Academy is one such measure.

You may not think highly of the Academy's choices. OK, let's choose another metric--Rotten Tomatoes, say, or Metacritic. The point is, all these measures go beyond mere personal opinion, and they're the only way out of a tiresome back and forth with people stating blunt likes and dislikes.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Dreamcatcher is sincerely the only film I have ever walked out of the cinema while viewing. It wasn't even anger or a matter of plausibility. We simply gave up.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Was it out of boredom?

25. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic ARE personal opinions.

The only opinion that matters is a person's own opinion, regardless of what award committees and critics say. It may be tiresome to hear others opinions - but that is the reason this discussion board exists.

Samnz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.