main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST On Relics...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Eons I slept, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Eons I slept

Eons I slept Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2015
    A theory I'm nursing about Anakin's saber is that it may have already found its way to Luke at the Jedi Academy. Ben finds it, gets a bunch of visions over time, goes all murder-stabby.

I think relics may be treated as a conduit that EXTREME-force sensitives can tap into, similar to the Seeing Stones in LotR or the Glass Candles in ASoIaF.

Snoke (who may or may not be out first Darkside force-ghost) is one such individual. Obviously Yoda, Qui Gon and Kenobi would be others and POSSIBLY Luke.

You'll notice Rey's vision is very split between light/dark.

1. Children screaming/crying. This could be either Rey as a child or the Jedi younglings. It's debatable.
    2. Bespin. Vader/Luke is literally light clashing with dark.
    3. Luke and R2. Super lightside characters juxtaposed against a very dark scenario.
    4. Massacre in the rain. DARK.
    5. Rey watches her family(?) lift off Jakku. Dark in that her family just left her, light in that it's the last time she saw her family.
    6. Duel in the snow. Light vs dark.

In Rey's vision, it's my opinion that a few different parties are jockeying for her attention. I think that (1) and (6) are from the Force, in that they're just windows into what has been/will be, and no living being (force ghosts are in a way still living beings in that they're just a disembodied consciousness) can straight up show you the future like that.

(3) and (5) are from Kenobi and Yoda and it's not very nice of them. They're playing on Rey's feelings of abandonment and her longing for a father figure to get both her and Luke (but especially the latter) back in the game. "These are your first steps..."

(4) The only vision lacking balance. Nothing light about a field of corpses. I believe this is Snoke popping in to see what's going down, or just an imprint of the last time he tapped into the saber's energy. Either way, it certainly leaves an impression on Rey, and the next time she see's Ben she very clearly contemplates killing him, 90% because of Han I'd say, but I can't help but feel this image was also scratching at the back of her brain.

I think it's telling that the only two relics we've come across are items carried by the Chosen One and I believe that's very deliberate. We're only shown these two items because this movie, at its core, is about the fall of Ben Solo and the rise of Rey-whoever (Kenobi?).

And what better way to manipulate young Ben then with (false) visions of his grandfather? It's even possible that Vader's helmet is so saturated in evil deeds and the darkside that the light, even Anakin himself, is severed from connecting with it. This is how Snoke is able to manipulate Ben so freely.

Given what Leia said about the timeline in which Ben was sent to Luke for training, I think it's possible he found the helmet a LONG time ago and maybe had the intention of destroying the new Jedi Order before he even arrived. A big part of why Luke feels so ashamed could be that he didn't sense it right off. Another part could be that he's aware of outside-manipulation in force saturated objects and hates himself for keeping the lightsaber in the first place.

TL,DR; Objects can be so saturated by prolonged contact with powerful force-sensitives that EXTREME force-sensitives can manipulate others by projecting visions or even interacting directly with them.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  2. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    I like the idea of Snoke making Kylo even worse in her eyes, but didn't he save her or whoever was standing there?

3. Eons I slept

Eons I slept Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2015

How's that? Not sure I know who you're referring to.

4. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    There is a guy going to attack her hand he is struck down from behind with a red saber, which kylo seemed to be holding.