main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends On the Brink--An OC lesson in Jedi skills--Vignette 76, response to Ophelia's picture

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    It was an old adage that "No Master can be taught how to train." It was not only a vague reference to the hardheadedness of Masters who were convinced that they could do a better job than their Masters, but a testament to the fact that each Padawan experience was vastly different.

Master Khe, however, desperately wished that there was some kind of precedent for this. It was not that Padawan Xxuxx was a bad Padawan or even a disobedient one.

He simply had no economy of movement.

They had been cornered while suppressing a riot on Raltiir. Since she had found herself trapped before, she knew how to ward off an attack in a limited amount of space.

Xxuxx, on the other hand, had tried to charge again and again, each time being driven back until he passed out from exhaustion and blood loss. It was not the first time that he had been imprudent in a confrontation and it was certainly evident in his sparring as well.

The moment the battle wound down, she had carried him to the medcenter and it was then that she decided to break him of that habit if it had to kill them both.

This exercise might be considered a bit extreme, but she was ready to catch him if he fell and in the meantime, he would actually pay attention to the limitations of the space given him.

"You have," Master Khe explained, "exactly two meters at most on all sides of you. That may even be generous in a battle, but it's somewhere to start."

It was a good sign that he at least kept himself from looking like he wanted to kill her on the spot. "Start what, Master?"

She smiled slightly at the angry apprehension in his voice. "When I was just older than you, I had difficulty fighting in a limited area, so my Master put me on an elevated balance beam and sparred with me. I got a lot of bumps and bruises, but I learned my lesson."

"And now you're hoping to pass it on to me," he said warily. "Only if I fall off a cliff, I'll have a little more bumps and bruises."

"Yes," she agreed grimly, choosing not to mention that she wouldn't let that happen, "so don't."

If possible, he looked more distrustful than usual, but he obediently took up the standard defense stance of Tuotkya, his people. It was a strange one, since his arms were akimbo to his body and his sword ran parallel to his skull. His legs were spread in a wide stance. He was, however, formidable once he launched from t his pose.

She didn't want him to be formidable. She wanted him to stay off the casualty lists.

"You may defend yourself in any way necessary without using the Force," Master Khe explained, "but you may not move your legs."

He looked somewhat relieved at that, but was obviously unaware of the fact that he might very well want to fall off the cliff by the time he was done.

?Are you ready??

Before could answer, she swung her own sword in a move that could have bisected his skull. His left hand caught the blade by the edge while his right whipped around to deliver a blow with the still-sheathed sword to her side. She sidestepped to lessen the impact, then pivoted on one foot so that her weight rested on her right. Her left leg chambered, then struck out.

The blow landed against his collarbone, nearly knocking him onto his back, but he was adapting well.

Perhaps this would not be as easy as she feared.

2. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Poor guy.. lol

Maybe you say his name "chooch" .. lol

So.. I wonder if he survies this?

3. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Nice fight details, but where's the rest of the story!?

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Nice, Ish. Man, I had forgotten to check if you had done a viggie lately. Yeah, good idea to break him of those habits before they both die...

5. Just-Plain-Shmi

Just-Plain-Shmi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    I liked this Master and Padawan team. [face_love]

JPS :)

6. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Sometimes its hard to get into OC stories, but this vig was easy going and fun. The Master/Padawan relationship is a delicate balance. It seems that Xxuxx trusts Khe and that will make his training easier.

Good job, Ish!

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    This is good, I really like:

She didn't want him to be formidable. She wanted him to stay off the casualty lists. [face_laugh]

8. Jedi_Rike

Jedi_Rike Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 22, 2006
    Hmmm,that actually sounds like an extremely smart way of training him to manage a limited amount of space.

I dunno if this was what you were trying for, but I had the image of the training scene from Batman Begins where Raz Algule is training Bruce Wayne on the frozen lake, where he sends him plumeting into the water.

Nicely done. Looking forward to more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.