main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST On the lack of originality

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AbsolX, Feb 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbsolX

AbsolX Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 30, 2015
    Now, most people know how large chunks of TFA comes from ANH, but with the old EU and one (other) book series I can reduce the original ideas down to two things (plus some other stuff).

Now something odd about TFA is that you can draw so many parels to Jame Patterson's Witch and Wizard series. But first a SPOILER WARNING. Many things below draw from all books in the series, so if you wish for an unspoiled reading, TURN BACK NOW.
    1. New main characters
    Rey: Now, the whole "Stuck on desert planet" part seems like a common theme for the protagonist in Star Wars, but there are many parrels to be drawn with the character Wisty. They both have great force/magic powers, something the evil controlling order wants. Both of the evil leader's chief lackeys seem to have a slight love interest with her (Kylo Ren and Pearce). And when our female protagonist is captured, they have no idea of their powers. However, their new powers are used to escape. Wisty also has this thing called "The Gift", granting her insane magical powers, while it is commonly theorized Rey has something similar.
    Finn: Okay, child soldier for evil order. After the interrogation of an order enemy, they step in to help them escape. Joins the Resistance. Helps with battling the order. Audience is tricked into believing they have magic powers. That sounds like Finn's life story. You know whom else's? Byron Swain from Witch and Wizard.
    Poe: Captured by evil order. Interrogated by magical lackey. Saved by a traitor. Assists in destruction of the base he escaped from. Not as many parrels as others, but they are still there. Poe = Whit
    Snoke: Tall pale intimidating leader of evil order with an unknown past. However, they have great magic powers. Taken (or attempting to) over a democratic society. Sounds like the antagonist of Witch and Wizard, The One Who is The One.
    Kylo Ren: Now, his life story is clearly ripped right from Jacen Solo's of the old Eu, but he also has similarities to Pearce. They are both force/magic users who act as the chief lackey to Snoke/The One. They both have head related melting abilities (minds for Kylo, but faces for Pearce).
    2. Organizations
    The names of the evil orders are very similar; First Order and New Order. They are both authoritarian (over controlling) dictatorships attempting to conquer democratic society. Now a common theme of Jame's Pattersons young adult novels is that the adults have messed up the world. Now many people can argue that the prequel era republic/jedi were failed. So there. Now, you know what the names of the "good guy" organizations are? There's only one: The Resistance. Ourprotagonist team runs away from the First/New Order into The Resistance.

So, what do you think of this? Is it uncanny that there are so many similarities to a third party book series? Do I just read too much?

2. Dareth

Dareth Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2015
    I have found that people say they want something original, then when they get it, they hate it most of the time. But if these same people get something that is more of the same to some degree they complain they want original. I guess I am saying is most people (not all) complain to complain, Because its the *cool* thing to hate on in the moment, or are just trolling to piss people off.

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It wasn't a very original movie and it was intentionally done that way. The movie was well executed overall though. Ultimately I rather have an unoriginal but well executed movie then a original but poorly executed one.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, this doesn't really warrant a thread of its own. Locking.

Ezon Pin and rumblewagon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.