main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

P.Rico On the Spot * Game 2 * Looking for new players!

Discussion in 'Latin America General Discussion' started by Jan_Solo, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan_Solo

Jan_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    On the Spot: Truthful or Impostor?

In this game you will overcome your opponents by using your wits, rather than your brains or brawn. We need at least 3 people to start the game, and more can join in at any point, even when a game is currently in progress!

The rules are simple: each round I will randomly choose two players to be "on the spot". I will post a question on this Thread and I will give the correct answer to the question to one of the two players who are "on the spot". The other player will have to come up with an answer by herself that sounds just about right but is really not. Both of the players who are "on the spot" will then post up their respective answers to the question on this Thread, but nobody else will actually know who posted the correct answer and who posted the fake one: who is the Truthful and who is the Impostor? After both players who are "on the spot" have posted their answers to the question, the rest of the players will proceed to vote for whoever they think posted the correct answer to the question.

The scoring method is also simple: Players who are "on the spot" will receive one (1) point for each vote they receive during a round, regardless of whether or not they answered the question correctly. Players who vote for the Truthful (the one who posted the correct answer to the question) will get one (1) point for their correct guess. Players who vote for the Impostor (the one who posted the wrong answer to the question) will get nothing!

Note: I reserve the right to remove people from the game if I consider them to be "inactive" for a considerable amount of time.

So, do you think you have what it takes to outsmart all opposition?

2. Rao

Rao Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2002
    I'm in

3. Lucidus

Lucidus Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2002
    I may not be witty, but I make up for it with sarcasm. Sign me up.

4. Carlitos

Carlitos Jedi Master star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Sounds interesting. Me too.

5. MegaJediRafa

MegaJediRafa RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 1, 2002
    Count me in.

6. Jedi_Boricua

Jedi_Boricua Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2002
    Let's go.

7. DarthKurt

DarthKurt Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2003
  8. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/watto/img/movie2_sm.jpg]

"Hello everyone! The name is Fatto and I will be your game show host for On the Spot. Yes, I am a Toydarian, but unlike my fellow brethren from Toydaria, I can actually speak fluent English.

But enough about me, let's talk about you. Round 1 has started, and I have chosen Lucidus and Rao to be On the Spot! You will find the question that needs to be answered below, and I will secretly reveal the correct answer to one of you shortly.

Alright, the rest of you listen up! Lucidus and Rao will be submitting their own answers to the question (soon enough, I hope). Once they do this, it's up to you smart people to vote for whom you think has the right answer... if you want to get ahead on the game, that is.

I will not be waiting for answers forever, though, as I have other things to do as well. So you will find some rules about time limits and such below. And no, I do not sell junk for a living. Good, everything seems set, so...

Let's get ready to grumble!"

ROUND 1 - Lucidus vs. Rao

The Category:
    Video Games

The Question: What is the best-selling console video game of all time, which company developed and published the game, on what year was it released, and how many copies have been sold?

Time Frame: A new round will begin on Friday Oct. 17 OR whenever all players have voted.

9. Lucidus

Nov 26, 2002
    The game title "Tetris" for Nintendo's handheld Game Boy platform has sold nearly 30,000,000 copies worldwide. The original Game Boy units, released in the year 1989, included a copy of this game with its purchase. With its simple yet addictive gameplay, the title had gained an immense popularity around the world. This made the system a must-have amongst the children of most first-world countries, increasing the title's sales even further.

The concept for Tetris, however, was not originally conceived by Nintendo. The orignal game was designed during the year 1985 by a team of computer engineers at the Computer Center of the Russian Academy of Science in their spare time. The whole dramatic story as to how its rights eventually ended up in Nintendo's hands can be found here.

10. DarthKurt

DarthKurt Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2003
    Lucidus is the Truthful!

Lucidus posted a link to the official story,so that was a dead giveaway!

11. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    People don't be hasty and listen to your options before making desitions.

Yes the link is a positive addition to his story but it does not answer the question, don't be fooled by petty documentation.

the answer to the question is: Super Mario Bros. 3, developed and released by Nintendo in 1990. Sold 17 million copies.

I will keep pointing out where my nemesis is flawed, the questions specifically asked for a console game. Gameboy is not a console per se.

Furthermore I too have a link http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/smb3.shtml

pay special attention to the part that says did you know?

Chose wisely.

12. Carlitos

Carlitos Jedi Master star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    I remember hearing that Super Mario Bros. 3 was the most-sold video game some time ago.

I vote for Rao.

13. Lucidus

Nov 26, 2002
    In his defensive, edited, and inaccurate answer, Rao has specified that the game Super Mario Bros. 3 sold 17 million copies. However, the link to The Mushroom Kingdom's info specifies that "The 1999 Guinness Book of World Records pegged SMB3 sales at 15 million copies sold worldwide". Where is it that the other two million copies got sold? Jupiter? Or did that number come from Uranus?

Don't be fooled by the definition of what a "console" is. Check the Thesaurus definition of the word here. There is no reference as to the expression that most people typically use to refer to video game systems that are played with controllers/joysticks on a tv screen. A "console", by the definition of this question, can be interpreted as a home video game system which works without an operating system (such as a PC or a Mac), and is not intended for arcade usage (there is no pay-per-play element in its structure). The Game Boy is little more than a compact version of a home video game system, and is therefore considered to be a console.

I can honestly say that this is one of those situations where you're not sure which is the "right" way to go, but the "right" way eventually ends up being the one that was hiding in plain sight the whole time. Take a good look and make the right choice.

14. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    Since I have the facts, I'll limit myself to this statement: I have the facts. I need not say more.

15. Jedi_Boricua

Apr 17, 2002
    Lucidus says the truth.

Never trust Rao...I mean an elf!

16. MegaJediRafa

Feb 1, 2002
    I'll have to go with Lucidus.

17. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
  18. Lucidus

Nov 26, 2002
    I believe all the participants have made their votes. Let the scoring process begin.

EDIT: Nice move, Rao; I'm impressed. Observe, people, how he continues to use the tools of deception to attempt to turn the tables to his favor. The post above this one said, "Well you all get fu|<*d in the a$$ except Carlos." What a wonderful form of expression, having to resort to that kind of language out of rage! Apparently, he erased it immediately and posted again after I posted mine in order to imply a negative impression on myself. It provides us clear and factual evidence to the extensive use of subterfuge and rogue tactics from his part. Rao, if you are trying to convince the others that you are telling the truth, why don't you provide them with more evidence or a better argument? Or does the problem lie in the fact that your imagination has run short? The people have spoken clearly: 3 to 1 votes in my favor. Is it not clear enough to us already that Rao is the Impostor in this game? I believe there are others who would also like to participate On The Spot soon instead of having us hold up the game forever.

19. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    Cual es la prisa amigo mio

miedo de que la gente vea la razón?

20. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002

"My, my! Sometimes you humans can get so riled up about things, eh! You would live longer if you had a more laid back lifestyle like myself. Then again, I am a Toydarian, so I can't expect the same amount of perfection from you humans.

However, there is one among you that managed to deceive the great majority of you, heh-heh! There might be hope for the human race after all. Lucidus managed to obtain three votes even though his answer was not correct! Rao received one vote, and Carlitos gets one point for that one, eh! Good, very good. But the rest of you receive nothing.

So, now we are ready for the second round, in which two more of you humans will get the chance to be On the Spot. And the lucky individuals are... Carlitos and Jedi_Boricua! You will find the question that needs to be answered below, and I will secretly reveal the correct answer to one of you shortly. And the rest of you, try to vote on the one you think is not lying this time around, eh!"

RESULTS FOR ROUND 1 - Lucidus vs. Rao

On the Spot:
    Rao was the Truthful, Lucidus was the Impostor!

Scorecard:
    Lucidus (3)
    Rao (1)
    Carlitos (1)
    MegaJediRafa (0)
    Jedi_Boricua (0)
    DarthKurt (0)

ROUND 2 - Carlitos vs. Jedi_Boricua

The Category:
    Biology

The Question: What is a Caenorhabditis elegans, how big is it, where does it live, what does it eat, and why is it important?

Time Frame: A new round will begin on Monday Oct. 20 OR whenever all players have voted.

21. Lucidus

Nov 26, 2002
    First, I'd like to thank those who weren't able to call my bluff and gave me their votes. (SUCKERS!)

Second, I'd like to discuss some of the game's rules.

1) Should the players be allowed to change who they vote for before the round ends? If not, it would mean that the voters would have to analyze the others' answers more carefully, but it would make each round take longer to complete until the voters decide.

2)Should links and other outside references be allowed? I believe the information available should be limited to what the contestants who are On the Spot provide to the other players in this thread. If the players tried searching for the answer on their own, they would know what the truth is and be able to score easily. Limiting the game to this thread also makes the game focus more on the use of the player's political speech skills.

3)Should the other voters be limited to only posting who they vote for? If a voter already knows the answer or has made a pact with one of the sides, they could try to sway the other voters to make the same choice. This could make the game more interesting, but may also be considered as an unfair advantage.

22. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    Interesting points. I already answered some of these behind-the-scenes to Carlitos and Jedi_Boricua, but I will answer them here so everyone can see them.

ADDITIONAL RULES EXPLANATIONS

1) Should the players be allowed to change who they vote for before the round ends? If not, it would mean that the voters would have to analyze the others' answers more carefully, but it would make each round take longer to complete until the voters decide.

All votes will be final once the round ends. So in theory, yes (although I would not encourage it) voters can change their minds before the end of the round. But a round will be over once everybody votes, so players should not post hastily.

2)Should links and other outside references be allowed? I believe the information available should be limited to what the contestants who are On the Spot provide to the other players in this thread. If the players tried searching for the answer on their own, they would know what the truth is and be able to score easily. Limiting the game to this thread also makes the game focus more on the use of the player's political speech skills.

From now on posting links (or sending them via PMs) which reveal the answers are not allowed. The player who breaks this rule will receive 0 points for the round and her opponent will receive points as if all the other players voted for her.

3)Should the other voters be limited to only posting who they vote for? If a voter already knows the answer or has made a pact with one of the sides, they could try to sway the other voters to make the same choice. This could make the game more interesting, but may also be considered as an unfair advantage.

Voters should be limited to posting who they believe has the right answer. They should not expand on why, though, or post any links leading to the answer either. Those who do will be penalized.

I do not want to mess up the game with strict rules, though, so just use these as a guideline in order to have a fun game experience. :D

23. Jedi_Boricua

Apr 17, 2002
    ROUND 2 - Carlitos vs. Jedi_Boricua

The Category: Biology

The Question: What is a Caenorhabditis elegans, how big is it, where does it live, what does it eat, and why is it important?

Ah Biology, the most 'noble' of all sciences. I don't know how good Mr. I go to Yale think he is, but I do know that I have the correct answer.

A Caenorhabditis elegans is a parasitic worm, about 1 mm (small enough that a microscope is needed to study them). It lives all over the world, it's favorite meals are rotting vegetation and microbes. Some scientist say that it is one of the important links between unicellular and multicellular organism.

24. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002

"Very well, it looks like the human side has been getting the best of you, eh? Someone missed his deadline for posting his answer, and it is my duty as game show host to say: 'Sorry, pal!'

However, the show must go on so it is time for a new round to begin. Alright, listen up. The two players chosen to be On the Spot for this round are... Jedi_Boricua and MegaJediRafa! Please post your answer as soon as possible or you will look like a fool before the rest of you, eh! You will find the question that needs to be answered below, and I will secretly reveal the correct answer to one of you shortly. The rest of you can vote once the answers are out, heh?"

RESULTS FOR ROUND 2 - Carlitos vs. Jedi_Boricua

On the Spot:
    Jedi_Boricua was the Truthful, Carlitos was the Impostor!

Scorecard:
    Lucidus (3)
    Rao (1)
    Carlitos (1)
    MegaJediRafa (0)
    Jedi_Boricua (0)
    DarthKurt (0)

ROUND 3 - Jedi_Boricua vs. MegaJediRafa

The Category:
    Chemistry

The Question: What is a cathode ray tube, when was it offered to professionals for experimentation, what was its first commercial use, and when was the first product offered to the public?

Time Frame: A new round will begin on Friday Oct. 24 OR whenever all players have voted.

25. MegaJediRafa

Feb 1, 2002
    "What is a cathode ray tube, when was it offered to professionals for experimentation, what was its first commercial use, and when was the first product offered to the American public?"

Of all the categories, it had to be chemistry!! I don't know much about chemistry, but I DO know about the components of that little box which we sit in front of every single day.

Behold, the correct answer:

A cathode ray tube (CRT) is a closed glass tube containing hydrogen gas under low pressure, with electrodes near the ends and a luminescent screen at the end near the positive electrode. It produces cathode rays when high voltage is applied.

The CRT was first given to German inventors for experimentation around 1855.

The first commercial use of the CRT was on a television set, which was first offered to the American public in the 1920's.

I doubt Mr. Politician remembers these details from the good ol' High School days, so let's see the lies he comes up with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.