main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

P.Rico On the Spot * Game 2 * Looking for new players!

Discussion in 'Latin America General Discussion' started by Jan_Solo, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthKurt

DarthKurt Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2003
    i did an oral report on how tv works in the 6th grade,they are used in TVs but rafa is lieing abotu all the rest,Borricua is the truthfull,or will be anyway

2. Jedi_Boricua

Jedi_Boricua Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2002
    Q: "What is a cathode ray tube, when was it offered to professionals for experimentation, what was its first commercial use, and when was the first product offered to the American public?"

A: Do you know why they call the tube, the tube? Easy. If it wasnt for the cathode ray tube, we will have no tv to see the new Indy films on DVD (that is unless you have a plasma TV you lucky SOB). Anyway, a cathode ray tube is a closed glass tube containing a gas under low pressure, with electrodes near the ends and a luminescent screen at the end near the positive electrode. Experimenters began using them circa 1931. The first thing to ever come out of them was the television, TV dinners followed shortly after.

And besides, I'm your president, I wouldn't lie to you, would I? ;)

3. Lucidus

Lucidus Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2002
    I'll take my chances and vote for MegaJediRafa.

4. DarthKurt

May 18, 2003
    after watching boricua's post,he is defenetly the truthfull

5. Rao

Rao Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2002
    I'll go with boricua

even though he din't went with me and that got him what? that's rihgt zero points.

6. Jan_Solo

Jan_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/watto/img/movie2_sm.jpg]

"Hey fellas, the results are in! I felt sorry for you humans, and luckily for you I was in a good mood, so I decided to give you a few more days until the end of the last round. But don't expect it to happen too often, eh! Anyway, kudos to MegaJediRafa for coming up with a decent lie! My cousin Watto would be very proud of ya, heh! Well, not really. I was just saying that since you only got one vote, bah."

"So let's get ready to start the next round here, shall we? Heh-heh. The two players chosen to be On the Spot for this round are... DarthKurt and Rao! Please post your answer as soon as possible or you will look like a complete fool before the rest of you, eh! You will find the question that needs to be answered below, and I will secretly reveal the correct answer to one of you shortly. The rest of you can vote once the answers are out, heh?"

RESULTS FOR ROUND 3 - Jedi_Boricua vs. MegaJediRafa

On the Spot:
    Jedi_Boricua was the Truthful, MegaJediRafa was the Impostor!

Scorecard:
    Lucidus (3)
    Rao (2)
    Jedi_Boricua (2)
    Carlitos (1)
    MegaJediRafa (1)
    DarthKurt (1)
    Spike_Spiegel (0)

ROUND 4 - DarthKurt vs. Rao

The Category:
    Music

The Question: What is a harpsichord and what is it made of, when and by who was it invented, and what modern day instrument does it resemble?

Time Frame: A new round will begin on Friday Oct. 31 OR whenever all players have voted.

7. Spook_Spiegel

Spook_Spiegel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2003
    Im joining!

8. DarthKurt

May 18, 2003
    Ahhhh yes,a cousin to the nobel piano.It's a horizontally strung stringed keyboard instrument,made out of one of the most beutiful of nature's bounty,wood.It was invented by those romantics from the boot-shaped peninsula,what was it called agine?oh yes,italy,in the 16th centuary.

I doubt mr.emperor wannabe man will get it,hes a fool and his power as our vice-president has currupted him,dotn lisen to the tyrant!Heed my words and thou shal find enligthenment

9. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    The harpsichord is a musical instrument that resembles the harp but it's somewhat smaller and the sound is more acute and more nasal. It was made originally by the persians circa 400 b.c.and it was popularized by the italians in the baroque. It is made of bronze which gives that nassal quality to the sound.

10. Spook_Spiegel

Aug 14, 2003
    I vote for Kurt. I like his icon. :p

11. Lucidus

Nov 26, 2002
    I vote for DarthKurt because of his icon, as well.

12. DarthKurt

May 18, 2003
    Aye,do not heed the word of the Infidel Rao ;)

13. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    For the icon? ! !

14. DarthKurt

May 18, 2003
    hey,im as surprised as you

15. MegaJediRafa

MegaJediRafa RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 1, 2002
    I know DarthKurt speaks the truth. I vote for him.

16. Jedi_GOREicua

Jedi_GOREicua Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2003
    I'm going with Rao, because if someone knows music is him! (although he can lied the best about it too...)

17. Jan_Solo

Jan_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/watto/img/movie2_sm.jpg]

"Howdy! Fatto here, reporting the results for the last round of the game, ah! In a surprising move, DarthKurt managed to be tied for first place with Lucidus, each having 4 points, and Rao is not that far behind. Not bad, eh! All in all an interesting round where most voters chose to ignore the question and just vote for their favorite icons. Foolish humans-eh, may I remind you that you are supposed to be voting for the person you think has the right answer, eh! Fortunately for you imbeciles, you voted correctly, heh."

"Anyway, I have the honor to announce that our newest newcomer, Spike Spiegel, is to be On the Spot for the next round, along with Lucidus, eh! So please post your answer as soon as possible or you will look like a complete fool before the rest of you, eh! You will find the question that needs to be answered below, and I will secretly reveal the correct answer to one of you shortly. The rest of you can vote once the answers are out, heh?"

RESULTS FOR ROUND 4 - DarthKurt vs. Rao

On the Spot:
    DarthKurt was the Truthful, Rao was the Impostor!

Scorecard:
    Lucidus (4)
    DarthKurt (4)
    Rao (3)
    Jedi_Boricua (2)
    MegaJediRafa (2)
    Carlitos (1)
    Spike_Spiegel (1)

ROUND 5 - Spike Spiegel vs. Lucidus

The Category:
    Modern Inventions

The Question: When and by who was modern chewing gum invented, what substance was it based on, and what product was the person supposed to have made?

Time Frame: A new round will begin on Monday Nov. 3 OR whenever all players have voted.

18. Lucidus

Nov 26, 2002
    Q: When and by who was modern chewing gum invented, what substance was it based on, and what product was the person supposed to have made?

A: Modern day chewing gum appeared in 1869, when Antonio Lopez, a Mexican general, was searching for a substance for which to substitute rubber with. He believed that the answer could be found in a gum-like substance called chicle, which comes from a tree species called Sapodilla. Lopez contacted an American inventor named Thomas Adams to experiment with chicle, but he discovered that it was unsuitable for use as a rubber base substitute. Throughout their meetings, though, Adams noticed that Lopez constanly chewed on the substance which he was experimenting with. He then associated chicle with the paraffin wax-based chewing gum sold commercially at that time, and found it to be a superior base for chewing gum than all the other bases that were being used. Adams then produced some chicle-based gum and convinced a local druggist to sell them. After this, a dark age of chewing gum spread across the land, and a hero called Bazooka Joe rose to stand against the madness.

Then again, maybe not. Thank you, and good night.

19. Spook_Spiegel

Aug 14, 2003
    As always, my friend Lucidus is mistaken.

Chiclet (the correct spelling, my friend...), was used by the descendants of the Incas in the mountains of Peru and Ecuador. it is taken out of what we know here in Puerto Rico as Nispero. They cut the tree, lightly dried the sap to make it a bit tougher and then chewed it. In mountains where water is sparse, chewing this sap helped to keep the mouth wet. Some natives also used them in conjunction with coca leaves to help with the breathing in high altitudes. (I was talking to my girlfriend the other day about my wish to visit Machu Picchu and she said that to get there, since it is so high, you need to chew the perky Coca leaf, chiclet combination...nice, huh?)

Anyhoo, an American called Thomas Adams visiting the once Inca mountains got intrigued with this strange substance that the natives were chewing. He discovered it was fun and nice (one guess why...) and decided to import the sap into the U.S. He called his company Chiclets Adams, which survives up to this day. But when he started up his company, coca leaves were illegal in the US (which caused other companies such as Coca-Cola to change their products as well) and he was forced to substitute the coca leaf with another type of leaf. He chose mint leaves (for which our breaths are thankful for!) and his product was an immediate success.

And the rest is history!

20. MegaJediRafa

MegaJediRafa RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 1, 2002
    Hmm both are good stories, which to believe... Can any of you give away an exact date?

21. Roman

Roman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Sorry Lucidus, but I think that Spike Spiegel is telling the truth.

22. DarthKurt

May 18, 2003
    Lucidos is the truthful

23. Lucidus

Nov 26, 2002
    It's a good thing you brought that up, Mr. MegaJedi. Apparently, the when part of the question seems to have eluded Mr. Spook. Although the precise date is not commonly known, Thomas Adams's experiments with chicle for chewing purposes began in the year 1869, as indicated by my clearly non-edited post above. Also, notice how Mr. Spook failed to provide an answer as to what product was the person (Thomas Adams) supposed to have made.

Don't forget your history lessons, either, and remember that the Incan civilization had mysteriously dissapeared, along with all of their customs. The chicle-chewing tradition which endured in Central America had been passed on by the Mayans, who had developed the habit at about the same time that the ancient Greeks developed their own chewing habits. But alas, I digress. The question asks us about modern chewing gum varieties, not ancient ones.

Chiclets brand gum (introduced in 1914) was indeed the first candy-coated variety of gum produced by a firm Thomas Adams himself founded, called Adams Sons and Company. By this time, however, Adams had already been selling his old variety of gum for over 40 years. He had begun selling his invention in New York in the year 1871 at drug stores for an introductory price of one penny each. After many years of success, Adams finally passed away. In order to fulfill his last request, family members wrapped his body with Bubble Tape so that his body be mummified properly as a preparation for his eventual unliving return.

Happy Halloween.

24. Jedi_Boricua

Jedi_Boricua Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2002
    Spike Spiegel tells the truth.

25. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    I go with Spike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.