main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

On The Topic Of Baiting.....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthAttorney, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Can an admin please define the term "baiting" as it's currently being enforced here at the JC?

I wouldn't ask except that I keep getting banned for it and both of the admins responsible seems to be unable to define it.

At all.

It seems that it now covers personal opinions that admins don't agree with, as with my previous ban for "moderating Communications and general baiting" by Knightwriter. I've taken this to PM and gotten nowhere so....here we are.

Anyone? ?[face_plain]

Baiting This one's not even locked, either. :)

2. BOBAFETISH

BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    I think a good example would be the AC member with the last post of the butt kissing thread a few threads down- see, he calls me petty indirectly,for wanting mods to police the threads and not regular members, and since he is defending those who are..umm..defending the mods, the thread is quickly locked with no repercussions. That help, DA?

3. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    This is a great question.
    I personally think baiting is a very weak excuse for a ban.
    It's basically like sticking someone in jail for having a nice house and "asking" to be broken into.
    My fear is the definition itself will be vague, when it is given, could examples also be given?

4. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I always thought baiting was posting something to try and start a flame war, even if it's not actually insulting anyone.

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    To me, baiting is a comment that you know will get the other person all angry. It's really a case by case thing, where if you said the exact same comment to the next person, no one would care, but because you said it to that person with that comment, you were purposely trying to start a fight, and probably making a personal attack too.

Although, seems to me if baiting doesn't cross the lines into flaming, the baiter shouldn't really be punished. Because it's the other person's responsibility to be mature enough to not cross the line as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.