main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

On2 VP3 Plea

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WhisperingDeath, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Hey come on guys. There are many people on this board, myself incuded, who have problems with the On2 codec. Can we please try to use another codec so we can view these vids.

Thank you for your time.

2. Sciz

Sciz Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    *signs name* ;)
    Yeah, not sure whats up with the codec,previously worked for me ... but sadly no more. And yes, I've reinstalled everything including the codec and quicktime.

3. BigRedDog

BigRedDog Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    I know it doesn't have all of the advantages of On2, but Sorenson always worked great for me.

4. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    I'll stop using On2 as soon as people stop using DivX. ;)

5. Sciz

Sciz Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    Blasphemy!
    Ask the divx gods for forgiveness! :)

6. moonz74

moonz74 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 24, 2002
    Indeed

7. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    I second ewing!

-tm

8. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    never mind

9. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    we have this nice new MPEG option, it looks pretty good to me.

For those of you that don't know it is QT6 that has a problem with On2, reinstalling won't help.

10. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Actually I believe it was the VP3 standalone install that is causing the problem. You just need to uninstall that then reinstalling VP3 through QT's Update page should fix it. Unfortunately I have no idea how to uninstall it as there are no options, luckily I'm due for a reformat so I'll fix it up when I get 'round to that.

If someone produces something and wants as many people as possible to view it they should work as hard as they can to achieve that. If so that might mean having several versions of your video available for download. If I end up hosting my own film I'll definately be doing this. If you are limited in space then it is wise to pick a format that can be viewed by the most people (probably Sorenson 3 encoded Quicktime). If you don't care, well, it doesn't matter if no ones sees it and it is likely that it isn't worth viewing anyway.

Just so you know I love VP3, currently my fave codec (actually some of my compressed videos are linked to from the On2 site), but unfortunately at the moment it isn't the most viewable format.

I was going to post a rant about how this also applies to clickable links but I'll leave the thread hijacking for another day! ;)

11. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    on2 should work with Quicktime 6, it's now an accepted part of the programme regardless of which platform you are on. (I'll put money on your platform being a PC, and probably Windows XP to :) )

The auto download feature really should be working for people now, since it's been a few years in the making' now. Make sure you have all of the auto update features working correctly. Failing that, there are/where a couple of bugs with the Quicktime 6 and XP install so on2 released a couple of new 'bug fix' installers for the problem. Have you tried those? Where are you trying to get your codec from?

I have just (about five minutes ago) updated my webpage with these newer bug fix codecs, so maybe try downloading and installing one of them. The page is here Let me know what happens, as it will eventually work, and it would be nice to now what the problems are, as I'm going to be using it for a while :)

I don't actually get any emails about on2 problems any more, which means either
    (a) people can now get it to work, or
    (b) They've just given up watching my stuff

Judging by the amount of downloads the PC on2 codec gets from my site, I'd guess it's (a)

And obviously my smart alec answer to the original question would be: I'll stop using on2 if you host my Sorenson movie files :) I use on2 because it gives the best compression/size performance of any codec I can use, and since bandwidth is at a premium, this means a lot.

Trivia : When TFN agreed to host Dark Skies a few years ago I was asked to make the film between 70 and 80MB in size. Trying getting a good/watchable version of an 18 minute film using Sorenson 3. I just couldn't do it. So I found the on2 codec instead (which had actually been released three days before) It solved my 70MB problem, and I've been using it ever since, and it still wipes the floor with other codecs for me, (including the recent tests I've done with MPEG 4) but as soon as a better codec comes along, that is as universal to use, I'll switch across no problems. It's all about bandwidth...

12. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    Nope, that new install did jack diddly. And nope I'm not on XP.

Oh and of course this is on a PC, on the Mac it works fine.

13. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Well what worked for me is this. Go to the Quicktime Uninstaller and COMPLETELY uninstall Quicktime from your computer. This won't work unless you do this. Then download QT6 and install it. Now run QuickTimeUpdater.exe (should be in your Quicktime prog folder). Click 'custom.' Then check the box to install On2 codec. There you go. Worked for me, QT6, Windows XP, PC. Try it.

14. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Okay. Plan B.

(I just read this post from Jedi Apprentice)

Quote: If you're using Quicktime 6, what you need to do is completely uninstall quicktime. Then reinstall it. Then go to C:\Program Files\Quicktime\ and run the QuicktimeUpdater.exe. Click custom, then check the box to install the On2 codec.

Dunno if that helps?

EDIT: [face_laugh] Well, there you go JA. (I actually read this work around in another thread - honest.

15. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    Done that, as I said the problem occurs when you used the standalone install. You can uninstall QT but it wont uninstall VP3 as it is installed into Windows. So the codec always appears when you install QT on but it wont work. Also means you can't download it from the QT Update server as 'there is no update'.

[edit]Actually I've done that several times before[/edit]

16. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    It might be a problem on your end then. Because in trying to fix this initially, I tried downloading and using the standalone installer for VP3. After that I discovered the trick of completely uninstalling and custom upgrading through the updater. It worked perfectly for me.

NOTE: When you try to uninstall quicktime it gives you a warning message asking if you want to "Uninstall everything," just "Uninstall," or "Cancel." You must make sure to "Uninstall everything" or it won't work. Again, if this hasn't worked for you, I'm not sure what's wrong. But this workaround has seemed to work with everyone I've talked to.

17. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    The fact is the VP3 installer doesn't only install itself to Quicktime, but at a system level. So an uninstall all still wouldn't remove VP3 from a system.

18. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    I see what you are saying. But what I'm saying is that I installed VP3 with the standalone installer, yet this 'method' that I posted worked for me. I can't explain it further. Good luck on trying to get it to work for you though! :)

19. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    Well, I've tried everything so it will either be a reformat or I'll get a new PowerMac and move all my fanfilms to the iMac.

I prefer the second option, anyone want to donate to the cause? ;)

20. masterpadawan

masterpadawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    well I've noticed that QT 6 Pro doesn't problems, I think. Once I installed I was aware of people hav ing problems with On2 and QT6 so I tested a On2 VP3 video and nothing was wrong at all! So maybe it's the basic QT users who have this problem

21. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    I eventually understood you! :p

Nope, Pro here.

22. masterpadawan

masterpadawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    I don't know then...Maybe I was "lucky!"

23. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    i am having the same problem as mentioned above, i unistalled QT, but when i go to the QT Updater it says that there is no update available for On2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.