main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by henchman24, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    So I caught a commercial on Spike TV, and apparently the entire saga will be aired in the near future, but one of the lines in the commercial(once more the Sith...) caught my attention.

While I have played one of the old republic video games, and know it happens in a past setting, I never read any of the books, or have any knowledge of the EU stuff.

Perhaps someone who is more informed might know when was the last time the Sith actually ruled the galaxy?

I know Obi-wan mentions the Jedi defending the republic for 1000 years or so, but until I saw the commercial Palpatines line never really made me think about it before.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help =D

2. skgai1

skgai1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    You've answered your own question. :) Obi-Wan's 1000 year remark was the last time the Sith ruled the galaxy. That's when the Jedi and the Senate become the powers that be.

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    There is the Army of light vs The brotherhood of darkness way before PT times. It's pretty much a full waged war where the Sith actually had more numbers...

Then KOTOR, if you pick the darkside you rule the galaxy for a little while... somewhat.

You can never really tell with the canon vs non canon debates.

4. FirBholg

FirBholg Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    Actually, Obi-Wan's line is: "For over a thousand generations, the Jedi knights were guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire." (emphasis mine)

The Sith were believed extinct for a thousand years in TPM, but if the line in ANH his accurate, the Jedi and the Republic had been ruling for a long, long time already at that point.

The time of Sith rule would have been at some point prior to that.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Sith ruled the majority of the galaxy for 1000 years before the 1000 years of peace. The millennium of peace was basically preceded by a millennium of war, where the Rpeublic was conquered and driven to a small corner of the galaxy. It never fell, so the Jedi still served the Republic for 25,000 years; but the Republic wasn't in control of most of the galaxy then. There were thousands of Sith Lords, but they turned on each other and their leaders, and their division helped the Jedi eventually gain back an advantage to kill them off and re-establish the Republic as the GALACTIC government. Only 1 Sith survived, and he went into hiding, starting the Rule of Two.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Unfortunately, that ending is not canonical... at least not at this point. [face_whistling]

But speaking of KOTOR, the Rakata ruled the galaxy before the Republic, and since they were dark side users, they are considered by some to be proto-Sith.

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    There have been several incarnations of the Republic..

8. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    Thank you guys for all the input, I have never heard of any of that stuff. Sometimes a little backstory can be fun, and informative =D

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes, but Obi-Wan says the Jedi were the guardians of peace & justice in the OR for a thousand generations. Do we know of any incarnation of the Republic existing before 25,000 BBY?

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The Republic was founded at approximately 25000 BBY. Before that, the planets in the galaxy were more or less independent.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No, there was no Republic before 25,000 BBY. I suppose there was some sort of trade/diplomatic links between systems (obviously they wouldn't have known eachother existed, otherwise) but no actual galactic central government.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.