main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN One and Only ..Lets all see Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix together thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by echo-3, Jun 26, 2007.

?

One and Only ..Lets all see Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix together thread

Poll closed Jul 18, 2007.
  1. Friday Evening

40.0%
  2. Saturday Afternoon

20.0%
  3. Saturday Night

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sunday Afternoon

40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I am so in love with Harry Potter series & cant wait to see more.
    I would like to make a viewing for the HA to see it as a group.
    I hope everybody can go. I know it start's on a Wednesday ,but with most of us busy during the week I thought the first weekend would be best.
    Please vote on which day would be best for you, I know that it is a few weeks away, but I wanted to get this going.

Eric

2. GoldLeader74

GoldLeader74 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    I can go anytime but would like to go Friday since I am already in town then.

3. Sword_of_SPEA

Sword_of_SPEA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    I can't wait to see the movie, and could probably make it down to any time you all go.

4. Jedi_Narf

Jedi_Narf Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2006
    There is a very slim chance that I'll be able to go that Friday night, so slim that I'm not really willing to say it's an option right now. Saturday during the day I'm already booked all the way up till the evening, and let's not forget that Saturday evening is our monthly meeting. Not saying we can't go afterwards, but we'd have to plan that carefully and make sure to have tickets well in advance, and eating as a group after the meeting would probably be out unless we keep the meeting short and see the latest showing of HP (for something as big as this I would think we'd want to get to the theater at least a half hour early, if not more, to make sure we get seats as a group). Currently I am free Sunday afternoon, though my schedule is filling up fast lately.

5. tainted_crimson

tainted_crimson Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 9, 2006
    Ah, one of the few things that makes up for not seeing it with you guys is the fact that I'll be seeing the midnight first showing! Bwahaha. I look forward to the costumes, and lack of rabid small children.

6. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    oh i think the kids would be there at midnight....all hopped up on sweettarts and mountain dew...haha

7. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    It's a Tuesday night. I think their parents are more likely to want them in bed at the normal time so they can go to work the next day. It's Wednesday night that will be a kidfest.

8. greedofan

greedofan Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    I'll have to wait and see what my work schedule looks like, but I'm pretty sure Saturday won't work at all for me. Friday night or late Sunday afternoon may work. I'll be sure to vote once I have a definite answer...

9. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I forgot that our meeting is Saturday night and Im not sure most of us could handle going to a 10pm showing but who knows.

10. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    I voted Friday night, but I would be game for a 10pm show after the meeting as well. Whatever will work. I know they can't put everything from the book in the movie, but I hope it doesn't turn out like goblet of fire.

11. daemondred

daemondred Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    I voted friday night as well since that is the only night that my wife could come as well nd we are wanting to see it together.

12. GoldLeader74

GoldLeader74 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    You dint like GOF?

13. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    The director has said that they worked hard to arrange it so that if something doesn't happen onscreen, it is still happening offscreen, so pretty much no plot has been erased from the book, it just may not all be seen.

(I'm liking this director so far, and he's talking about future work on the series.)

14. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    Liked the book, but not the movie. They changed too much for me to thoroughly enjoy the film. Unfortunately due to the size of the book, they kept a hurried pace through the movie. It seemed to me, they changed a lot of scenes that didn't need changed and made new ones when they cut other important scenes. They will always have to cut scenes when making a movie out of a book, but when you start changing characters and locations, it kind of ruins it for me.

I was also very disappointed in LOTR, not only for leaving out Tom Bombadil but more so, the Battle of the Shire. Oh well, we can't have everything. :)

15. deepbluejedi

May 23, 2002
    yeah, they did cut alot out of GOF for the sake of action and pacing the movie along...and OOTP is an even BIGGER book, so it makes me wonder what they'll cut out of this one.

16. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    If anybody has ANY of the series on CD, Can I barrow it please . Im all new to Harry and have not read one book.

Eric

17. daemondred

daemondred Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    I got them all.......
    I will email you more info.

Bryan

18. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    Better get to work on that. 23 days until it ends.

I am soooo definitely going to cry when I finish Deathly Hallows. No doubt about it.

19. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    I have always waited for my sister to finish reading hers (she is an avid Potter fan as well) but for this last one, I am not sure if I can wait that long. She would probably intentionally take her time. (or tell me she isn't finished with it yet)

The one thing I am not sure the movie will convey as well as the book, is just how horrid a woman Umbridge is. As long as you have watched the other movies, I would say just read Order of the Phoenix before the movie. I think I read it in about 12 hours all in all. I spread it out over 4 days, reading when i would get home from work.

20. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    From what I've seen so far, Imelda Staunton has her own nasty version of Umbridge down perfectly. The pink monstrosity if absolutely horrible and you just want to smack her. Therefore, yay for the actress and the crew for getting something right!

Check out the new clips from the film: http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2776&Itemid=99 "Who do you think would want to attack children?" has Umbridge when handing out the DADA textbooks and explaining her no-casting-actual-spells approach to the subject. Oooh I wanted to throw her down some stairs!

21. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    BBC News story and video clip of the World Premiere in Tokyo: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6248690.stm

UK premiere is July 3rd. The Summer of Potter has started!

Edit: B-roll video here: http://orderofthephoenix.imeem.com/video/h5rb1X-W/harry_potter_and_the_order_of_the_phoenix_broll/ Lots of great footage from the film.

22. greedofan

greedofan Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    Eric, I recommend NOT reading the 5th book before seeing the movie. Every time a friend of mine has read the book immediately before seeing the movie, they haven't liked it. I however leave a lot of time between reading the books and seeing the movies. I have loved them all because the book was not as fresh in my mind and I didn't remember all the parts of the book that got left out :)

23. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    You know, thats probably sound advice. Books are almost always better than the movies, so you might wait. The only exception I can think of, in a way, is Dune. Now, the books aren't much like the movie, but I actually like some of the themes in the movie better than in the books. For that matter though, its a completely different animal. Kind of like the X-Men movies. Nothing at all like the comics other than the characters.

24. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    I try to see the movies as a sort of visual aid for the books. That way I don't have to judge them for their losses, and I won't be bothered when they leave major details out.

25. deepbluejedi

May 23, 2002
    I totally agree.....if you are a fan of the comics, and actually sat through all of X-Men 3....you probably died a little inside after how that stinker ended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.