main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit One Canon - Merging Legends and the New Canon - TFA spoilers, very much so

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 8, 2016.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The only thing the EU established was that Tython was home world to the Je'daii. These were not the same as the Jedi.

Only the Old Republic game claims that Tython was where the Jedi Order was founded, and even this is just presented as the beliefs of Jedi like Satele Shan, Gnost Dural, etc. In-universe, they could be wrong.

Further in the Disney canon book Star Wars Complete Locations (according to wookieepedia), Tython and Ossus, and Jedha, are mentioned as candidates that in-universe historians think may be where the Jedi started.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Darth Caliban likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    To be fair, TFA already eliminated the early history of the Jedi with Ach-to.

3. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Ach-to is home world of the Jedi. Tython is home world of the Je'daii ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DarthJaceus likes this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The First Jedi Temple =/= Ossus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Or maybe the point of divergence lies in the times of DOTJ. Maybe in canon the Rakata were successful in conquering the Tython system with survivors fleeing and colonizing Akch-To.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Je'daii =/= the Jedi.

The gap between Tython and Ossus could easily be Akch-To.

vncredleader and Darth Caliban like this.
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

A small tangent, but when I see Akch-To, I can't help thinking: "Akch-To, Scene 1." :D

8. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    To be fair there is a 93,000 year gap between Coruscant and Mandalore for the Taung which only is filled by Roon... In the Cloak of the Sith. It's strange.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    so... anyone try fudging Rogue One together with the Death Star novel?

10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Being as the film came out today? And spoilers? No.

11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Sinrebirth I can't see how you can continue this quixotic and somewhat foolish project. The more Disney fills in the nucanon the more your going to be twisting straws and having to perform increasingly sophisticated mental gymnastics. I really think you should do as Yoda said and "Let go."

Anedon and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Fanfic has worked through worse and the continuity folk at Lucasfilm.

Jedi Ben and Kev-Mas_Colcha like this.
  13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I was thinking of proposing another project in which we identify the Legends works that can still fit in canon, and eliminate the works that can't. The list will be trimmed as time goes on inevitably, but some Legends works like, say, Cestus Deception or Approaching Storm, will probably never be affected.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I like things like "Snoke existed in Legends, but DE Sheev put an end to his ambitions" but don't care for things like "Jacen and Ben Solo exist in the same universe."

Vthuil and Darth Caliban like this.
  15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I like when things go all out like the fact Caedus was actually a clone of the original Jacen who became Kylo Ren. :)

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    *shrugs at Darth Invictus*

Applying a TCW retcon to the timeframe between Endor and Krytos Trap, cutting that period down to fit between Endor and Jakku, acknowledging the NJO actually lasts four years and embracing the 'there were 7 years between TUF and LotF: Betrayal' references in LotF simply fits it all in.

Finish off with 'Jacen changed time' as FotJ confirmed, putting FotJ and Legacy in its own timeline (which they always were) and you're done.

One direct retcon, and three turns of perspective. That's it.

The only Legends works directly affected by the new canon are those post-Endor. The Bane Trilogy maybe, maybe not, depending on how long the Sith ruled Coruscant, sidv88.

darklordoftech. You are likely going to be able to summarise the meaningful change between Legends and canon down to one word; Jakku.

If Snoke is from Jakku, then all of the new continuity flows from and to it. Jakku births Rax. Jakku (re)births Snoke. Jakku brings the GCW to an early end. Jakku.

17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    What about when they fill in pre TPM? That's 25,000 years IU up for grabs.

Anedon likes this.
  18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    A lot of pre-Battle of Endor Legends works have been overwritten by the new canon beyond any retcon that is reasonably realistic, in my opinion.

Shatterpoint is overwritten by Kanan and Rebels, Dark Disciple wipes out almost all of Dark Horse's Clone Wars run, the new Marvel run overwrites the old Marvel Run and Vader's Quest on how Vader discovers Luke is his son, the old newspaper comics and any material with the Rebels hanging out on Yavin long after ANH is overwritten by new canon showing the Rebels left Yavin 1 day after ANH, etc.

Moving Target stomps all over the Shadows of Empire multimedia project (the game itself only barely makes it due to ironically never featuring Luke's new lightsaber) and annihilates the Tydirium theft stories of the Rogue Squadron game and X-Wing Alliance. Thrawn's Grand Admiral rank pre ANH wipes out his stories including TIE Fighter game. I can only hope the new Thrawn novel at least allows Outbound Flight to remain intact.

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Welllllll...

Depa was pardoned, as was Ofee, and sent to the front to die at Order 66. As to Dark Disciple, Tholme faked his death (for the fourth time). As to Vader's Quest, Fett could have been confirming the Skywalker information to him in the new Marvel run. As to Yavin, they could have abandoned it and returned to it. Battlefront showed the 501st attacking back after all.

Shrug. Your mileage may vary.

But I will offer possibilities.

Darth Invictus.

You're assuming they will anytime soon. At most we're going to find out about Maz and Snoke one millennium ago in the immediate future. Eventually? Down the line? Maybe, sure. But what with ToR's Sith symbol in the Lando comics, who knows?

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Dark Disciple also needs a convenient mind wiping for Asajj and Quinlan (and even Dooku). "Poor Quinlan, misplaced his memory again has he?" asks Yoda. Maybe the Jedi put them together with Barriss for a "Revan'ing" session.

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Someone remind me why Quinlan can't re-infiltrate Dooku's circle after the Republic comics arc, using Ventress?

23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Quinlan and Ventress didn't know each other in Dark Disciple. Ventress literally chased Quinlan out of Dooku's inner circle back in the Republic comics. She'd know him, as would Dooku.

There probably is a sci-fi way to make it work, but it would stretch my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point.

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    But she saw through his disguise in DD, did she not?

25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Requote from my edit: "There probably is a sci-fi way to make it work, but it would stretch my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point."

Ventress would at least mention their previous interactions etc.