main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit One Canon - Merging Legends and the New Canon - TFA spoilers, very much so

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 8, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Prior to Chee's comment, plenty of sources had Luke describing himself as having "gone over to the dark side" or being "deep in the dark side" and so forth. So it's understandable that the misconception would arise. Possibly the writers hadn't paid close attention to exactly what Luke was doing in Dark Empire, and what Palpatine had done to him when Luke's ruse was exposed completely (in the Dark Empire audio-drama, using the Force to brainwash him).

Revanfan1 and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Luke's ok. The worst example of someone getting a free pass after going to the Dark Side is not from Legends EU, but Disney canon itself--check out the canon novel 'Dark Disciple'.

This "canon" book completely undermined Revenge of the Sith too--the Jedi Council Anakin seems so afraid of in ROTS (afraid to reveal his marriage, afraid to reveal he chopped off Windu's arm, etc) is revealed to let Quinlan Vos stay a Jedi Master despite him doing far worse things than getting married against Jedi rules or chopping off a Jedi's arm. One wonders what Anakin was so afraid of.

And Anakin totally should have retorted to Mace Windu in ROTS that "Quinlan Vos is a Jedi Master and he's done far worse than anything I've ever done. You should make me a Jedi Master too." Windu would have been forced to agree.

PCCViking, Darth Caliban and spicer like this.
  3. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Haven't read it. What has Vos done in this book?

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    See canon page for Quinlan Vos: everything from the moment he's captured by Dooku:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Quinlan_Vos

leading Separatist military attacks as "Admiral Enigma", planting bombs in an asteroid base (I think those bombs killed clones) leaking intelligence about a Republic operation (allowing the Separatists to evacuate before the operation could be launched) killing two Jedi Knights (one was a mercy kill of a Knight that was already dying) and using the Dark Side of the Force a great deal.

Vialco and Darth Caliban like this.
  5. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    That's really heavy stuff! Now i have a lot more sympathy for Anakin and wonder how Vos could keep his title and why Anakin couldn't ascend to masterhood.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The fact that the original "Get Dooku assassinated" mission had been on orders from the Council itself, may have contributed to their leniency - they'd knowingly put him in an extremely morally dangerous situation - so the Council listened when Obi-Wan spoke up for him.

Daneira likes this.
  7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's been a while since I read the book, but I seem to recall even Vos' "mercy kill" was due to the fact that Vos already had the Knight poisoned while fighting him. This Knight wouldn't have even been dying at all if Vos hadn't decided to start killing clones and Jedi, and the Knight had to fight Vos in self-defense, thus getting poisoned.

spicer and Darth Caliban like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Think of Desh as like a giant bee - only just "activating" the sting to get it ready, kills him, not just stinging. But yes, Desh wouldn't have been in that position were it not for Vos, though "Vos murdered Desh" may not be 100% accurate.

9. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Of course, he believed that all this was necessary to work himself into Dooku's inner circle in order to find Dooku's master and assassinate him along with Dooku.

Still pretty nasty though.

Legends Vos does similar things, but not quite as bad.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  11. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Yeah, I think he let a Jedi die, but never outright killed one.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He did murder a few non-Jedi - all of whom were somewhat villainous.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Viento
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kh'aris_Fenn
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tinté_Vos

He also attempted to kill his own master, Tholme, and was convinced he'd succeeded, till Tholme turned up later:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Quinlan_Vos/Legends

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

This. I consider "he nearly fell" to be a total cop-out. Either commit to the thing or don't. DE was an interesting idea but Luke going to the dark side wasn't. Disguising himself as a stormtrooper in ANH was one thing, but actually joining himself to Palpatine for any reason is, to me, totally out of character for Luke. But if they were going to go ahead with it, then go ahead and bloody well do it, don't back up and say, "Oh, he didn't actually fall, he just did Palpatine's bidding and pretended to be dark." It's terrible.

Sinrebirth and Darth_Duck like this.
  14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    In-universe, what exactly was the New Republic going to do to Luke once he apologized and came back over to their side? I think Mon Mothma decided to just let flexibility prevail over exact wording of the law here and let Luke get on with Jedi business--she seems to have prioritized getting a working Jedi Order as soon as possible far more than her Disney counterpart did.

Yes, Mon Mothma could have said "Naughty Luke, we're putting you in the slammer for a few years". However, with the New Republic just rebuilding from the Reborn Palpatine's campaign, as well as likely high public opinion of Luke Skywalker in the galaxy (many of who may not know of or know the details of his little jaunt to the dark side), the New Republic leadership probably felt punishing Luke would do more harm than good. Even if Luke asked Mon Mothma to lock him up, he already has a reputation for being too hard on himself (the investigation into criminal charges over the Mindor incident came up with nothing except a holonovel/movie). So Mothma probably said, "Luke, I don't want to hear about what you may or may not have done with Palpatine. You're pardoned. Just rebuild the Jedi and we'll let bygones be bygones."

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I really don't see what the big deal is. Yes, Luke turned to the dark side for a few weeks, but he didn't become a traitor. He basically started sabotaging the World Devastators on day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I like to think he also put in an order for stormtrooper boots to be shipped to the troops (the boots being one size smaller than they should be). Just because,

Daneira likes this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So Sinrebirth I was at Celebration and what did I see, you ask?

Well, a 10 dollar hard cover of Rogue Planet! Bought it almost immediately!

SWpants, PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Damn right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I was thinking - it's like they were reading my posts! [face_laugh]

PCCViking likes this.
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Excellent investment, I must say. :D

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Can't wait to read it, but I am afraid it will have to wait - I also purchased the Celebration edition of Thrawn, and that one's up first.

So far Thrawn is so good it's making me want to buy all Zahn's Star Wars novels lol

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Regarding Rogue One, here's how I picture the One Canon Theory regarding the Death Star and it's development:

Rogue Planet -> Catalyst -> Rogue One/Death Star novel occurring simultaneously (the Rogue One novelization even mentions Horuz).

23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I kind of think of EU stories in little groups like this. For example, I consider Tarkin, Lords of the Sith, and Catalyst to be a trilogy showing the Empire at its peak.

PCCViking likes this.
  24. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    I been making my own Canon can I help you guys

PCCViking likes this.
  25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Now that 2 BBY has come and gone in Rebels, it does feel as if The Force Unleashed can be slotted into canon fairly easily. The only issue is Palpatine knowing Bail is a Rebel. However, this was a problem in Legends too (I just pretend that cutscene line of "Proxy, cut transmission!" was said by bel Iblis to remove Organa from the Rebel meeting, and all of Organa's remaining lines in the game go to bel Iblis).

Because Rebels has so far ignored the actual formation of the Alliance details in favor of the adventures of the Ghost crew, we never got a Corellian Treaty on the show or even Dantooine base (and with Yavin as the established go-to base now, we might not even get Dantooine before the show ends). Conveniently, this means the show didn't really overwrite anything in TFU at all.

I think that the Force Unleashed can be slotted right before the Rebels episode 'Secret Cargo'. Mon Mothma and Garm escape from the Death Star at the end of the Force Unleashed (although in the game they are never told it's a planet killer--they think it's just a space station, so even continuity with Rogue One can be preserved). Mon and Garm immediately split up, with Mon making her public speech against the Empire immediately after TFU and finding herself on the run in Rebels 'Secret Cargo'. It seems to fit.