main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit One Canon - Merging Legends and the New Canon - TFA spoilers, very much so

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 8, 2016.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    How is One Canon handling the lethality of Force Projection in canon vs the non-lethality of Force Projection in Legends? Let's make up a rule that over a certain distance, Force Projection is lethal (from Ahch-to to Crait), while among shorter distances (the Falcon to Byss) it's not. Fitting we are making these rules up since the whole lethality of Force Projection is a rule that was literally made up for the last movie after decades of other material indicating the power was not lethal.

In Shaak Ti's case, she was still on Coruscant when she projected a double of herself to distract (and get killed by) Vader in the Jedi Temple. The close range made this harmless for Ti. She later goes on to die for real in TFU.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To be fair I didn’t even have a rule - I just assumed that was the case. Luke definitely over-exerted himself to save the Resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  3. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Just say the Luke in TLJ is Luuuke or Bigger Luke. It'd make the most sense, even Mark himself thinks so.

4. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    double post

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    But I thought Mara Jade killed Luuuke in The Last Command. :D

6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If you played Yoda Stories, the cloning mission ends with Luke making a clone of himself who ends up running off...

Raab Katarn likes this.
  7. Raab Katarn

Raab Katarn Jedi Padawan

Feb 3, 2018
    I say actual works supersede reference books like the Galactic Atlas. Why? Because a reference book may make a single mention of someone or something and is technically canon... but for the purposes of this One Canon endeavor, should one sentence to a paragraph, hell even a page dedicated to something that contradicts an entire video game or an entire novel supersede said game/novel? I would say no. Besides, there's easily ways around this.
    • She was meditating in the Temple when Knightfall began
    • She recorded a message onto a holocron
    • She fought Vader in order to let others escape but he defeated her, seemingly killing her in the process. Before he was able to confirm her death, several other Jedi tore his attention away from Master Ti who was able to gather the Force around herself in order to escape into the Coruscant underworld.
    If/when a novel directly contradicts something, then it becomes a matter of "is it possible to still reconcile things" or "eh, just pick and choose which story your prefer." So for those that dislike TFU, it could be as easy as just ignoring it entirely and going with canon that states Anakin killed Shaak Ti.

If you prefer a few more Jedi surviving Order 66, then just pick the version where she lives.

To go on a bit of a tangent: My issue with the new Canon isn't that they made a new Canon in principle. I get that they didn't want to be shackled to old continuity so they had all the possibilities when making a new sequel trilogy (although, in terms of having all the freedom in the world, it's a bummer they saw fit to just do another Empire vs Rebels storyline but they're still fun films). I totally understand that and it makes sense to say "everything but the films and TCW is now no longer canon" but it's not like they can't decide later and say "you know what? Shatterpoint is canon because it was a great novel, we love the ideas it used, etc." If they still wanted to use Depa as Kanan's master then whatever, fine, she wakes up. That doesn't really contradict anything.

But the fact that they saw fit to have her participate in a Battle of Haruun Kal in which she was put into a coma but completely trivialized it by making it a basic "forces of Grievous vs. forces of the Republic" story is kind of b.s. Like, if you want to write an entirely new story and history for a character, so be it. That's what the continuity reset was for after all. But cannibalizing one of the best Star Wars novels (okay, that's subjective but it is at least one of the most unique and interesting Clone Wars stories ever written) and creating a watered down version that just throws Grievous into it for no reason is...not creative. And it's frustrating. Just say that Shatterpoint is canon and that she later wakes up and atones for her mistakes and takes Caleb Dume as her Padawan by the end of the war. Like...that's literally the story written in Kanan just without the unnecessary addition of a line discussing how she went to battle Grievous.

Either do something completely different... or just make that novel canon again. The more I think about this specific example the angrier it makes me. We've had plenty of contradictions made, regardless of whether or not we can find a way to reconcile them technically but like, deciding on Ben Solo instead of the twins and Anakin -- fine. I get that. Same with anything that just completely cuts characters or stories out entirely. But taking 90% of a Legends story and then shoehorning some new thing in that basically breaks the old story and turns it into something way different and way less creative and unique is the opposite of creativity IMO. I don't get why they felt the need to do that. It's worse than just completely creating a new story for Depa.

Anyone who makes a Yoda Stories reference is good in my book.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    SpecForce Trooper and spicer like this.
  8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I don't follow how involving Grievous in the narrative automatically turns the canon version of the battle of Haruun Kal into something "watered down" and "way less creative." Given that those events were never actually detailed in the Kanan comic, it's seems kind of early to make that pronouncement.

We learn so little about canon Haruun Kal, in fact, that we can't even be entirely sure Grievous was there. In issue #7 his involvement is mentioned a rumor; in issue #11 Grievous references a previous encounter with Depa where he "defeated" her, but doesn't directly say that that incident occurred at Haruun Kal. In other words, it's all sufficiently vague that Shatterpoint could pretty easily still be the canon version of those events if you want it to.

Vthuil likes this.
  9. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    TLJ didn't establish "Force projection is lethal" as a "rule."

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Kylo did apparently comment that Rey couldn't be Force-projecting messages to him because the effort would kill her.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Projection

Jedi Knight Fett and sidv88 like this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    He did.

sidv88 likes this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That seems like a pretty easy problem to rectify, though, by simply declaring him wrong/lacking in knowledge.

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    But it did kill Luke?

14. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Maybe he had cut himself off from the Force for so long that the effort killed him, whereas if he hadn't cut himself it wouldn't?

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m taking it that the distance is the reason for the lethality, that’s all.

16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    That's possible, although I wonder what the distance was when they did that to Caedus in Legacy of the Force, although I'm guessing it was a lot shorter.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It was in-system; Fondor.

But from the Unknown Regions to Crait is the largest demonstration of Force projection outside of Force Phantom.

PCCViking likes this.
  18. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Oops! I did completely forget about that line from Kylo. But does even that really imply that Force projection is inherently lethal? I still think it's more logical to assume that the exertion required due to distance, time of use, and degree of realism to the "viewers" is what did Luke in. (And honestly, I don't think even that was necessarily the actual reason Luke passed into the Force, but that strays outside the realm of One Canon discussion.)

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I doubt it’s inherently lethal.

What’s your rhyme for his demise? I’d like to know, One Canon or not.

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I guess it was only a matter of time before directors started their own "kryptonite" for Jedi (as Zahn describes ysalamiri, and indeed his whole core concept of the Thrawn Trilogy, in interviews), and we finally got it in Force projection lethality. Ysalamiri, which I always disliked, suddenly don't seem so bad now.

21. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I don't mind this new "kryptonite." There should be some sort of cost for using the Force across such a great distance.

22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's not consistent. Palpatine could theoretically kill Dooku from Coruscant (core world) to Serenno (outer rim) by choking him. A dark side power with no lethality. (TCW, The Lost One)

Force projection, which kills no one, can't be maintained at this distance though???

Luke: "Is the Dark Side stronger"
    Yoda: "Yes. It's use over light years is possible, while use of the Light Side over light years--kill you it will."

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That's not inconsistent with anything. Force choke was always consistently able to act across great distances as long as they could see you in a transmission...? It was a line-of-sight power...?

EDIT: As an aside, I will be rereading Millennium Falcon, and the Crispin Solo Trilogy before Solo comes out...

... and re-reading Outbound Flight and Thrawn before Alliances...

... but after the TLJ novel of course.

I do have some very early ideas about the Solo movie from what little we know about it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    SWpants, PCCViking and Ithorians like this.
  24. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Indeed. Those two abilities don´t seem exactly the same to me. Didn´t Vader force choked Xizor from the other side of the galaxy on SOTE? (He did require a hologram of Xizor to do the trick). With Force projection, I can see the logic behing portraying it as an even more taxing power, considering the complexities of interacting with a physical world you are not actually involved in.

The other thing I´m not sure about, is there a possibility that Luke´s projection ended up being fatal because his projection itself suffered life ending injuries (from both Kylo Ren and the walkers)? Perhaps the effort to sustain the projection after that became too much for Luke´s physical and spiritual self to handle...

PCCViking likes this.
  25. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I don't think it killed him. It's pretty obvious that he was just tired and that after he had done what he did he saw no reason for him to remain in the Galaxy in physical form. So he pulled an Obi-Wan and willed himself to the netherworld of the Force intentionally.

Darth_Duck likes this.