main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit One Canon - Merging Legends and the New Canon - TFA spoilers, very much so

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 8, 2016.

1. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I think I would struggle with the twists and turns required to fit all this stuff into one united canon, but Cooper, your post made my mind launch off on a different path where I found myself casually concocting a third, in-between expanded universe that incorporates bits of both as much as they can be reconciled, kind of in the vein of Marvel comics' Ultimate line: the Ultimate Star Wars EU. Is there justification enough for making a spin-off thread of this one, where individuals craft their own version of the Marvel Ultimate Star Wars continuity?

Not to take away from the One Canon game that this thread is all about... :)

Tanjint, CooperTFN and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm not empowered to make a judgment like that, but IMO anything along the lines of "reconciling the two canons" is best-suited to stay in this thread.

Tanjint and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I think we need to not worry about moving any stories in the timeline based on conjecture, until we have some officially concrete dates to work with. Let's crawl before we run.

Here's something that came up a few times in the TFA Visual Dictionary and is going to require a retcon of some sort: According to the book (and Aftermath, I believe), Coruscant is taken at 1 year after the Battle of Endor and the Galactic Concordance signed with the remaining Imperial forces before they are largely disarmed and sent packing for the Unknown Regions. This needs to be reconciled with the Rogue Squadron books when Coruscant is taken at 3 years after Endor.

Let's not juggle dates around. We need to approach this as a turn of phrase or the context of the wording. I haven't read Aftermath yet, so I'm not sure if there is anything specific in there to be focused on before I attempt any fix on my end.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    This isn't a bad thing actually as the New Republic taking so much of the galaxy in five years with seemingly minimal forces seemed like a strange event to begin with. In this timeline, Coruscant may have successfully overthrown its Imperial Masters one year after the Battle of Endor and the majority of the Empire signed a surrender agreement to turn over their military assets after the Battle of Jakku. However, very soon after this, Sata Pestage seized back control of the government with the Imperial Ruling Council (overthrowing Mas Amedda?), leaving only warlords as well as a drastically depowered Empire. The New Republic also had a vast amount of war material from this trade off, which left the war now very lopsided.

The Empire took Coruscant after Dark Empire, after all, so such a reversal isn't unprecedented.

Alternatively:

We could RESTORE Dark Empire to its original place in the Star Wars canon where it should have been placed by George Lucas and Veitch with the Reborn Emperor appearing a year after the Battle of Endor. That means Anakin would be the eldest and either Kylo Ren would be his twin or the two would, again, be the same character with different names.

Alderaanians or Corellians perhaps having a "secret name" or true name to go along with their public name as in some cultures.

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I think your first idea fits the bill pretty well. I'm sold.

Tanjint likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll settle for Poe, Finn, and Rey leading a Resistance type group shortly after the fall of Coruscant and dealing with a FO-like group and the Vong with help from Leia and Han from time to time.
    And their plot goes on through to TUF and they help out at the Battle of Coruscant.
    Continue the Insider's plot from Enemy Lines duology.
    How much time has passed from Enemy Lines to Destiny's Way anyway?
    Wasn't Wes Janson part of a volunteer squadron or something before arriving at Borleias?

Tanjint likes this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Except, the First Order would annihilate the Vong. What with their Doomsday Gun of Doom and all.

Tanjint and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    3 way battle between the Resistance/FO/Vong.

Tanjint likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm envisioning something like Star Trek: Online for a Post-Star Wars EU MMORPG.

The First Order vs. Remnant vs. The Yuuzhan Vong vs. The Sith Empire vs. vs. Resistance vs. The New Republic/Galactic Alliance vs. Jedi vs. New Separatists.

Which should tell you STO is ****ing violent.

So much for the Utopian future.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That's insane.

Tanjint likes this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Federation vs. Klingons/Gorn/Orions/Nausicaans vs. Cardassian Terrorists with Jem'hadar Cloning Facilities vs. Borg vs. Undine vs. Iconians vs. Romulans vs. Reman terrorists vs. Iconians

And I'm missing some now!

Strangely, the Dominion is missing.

Force Smuggler and Tanjint like this.
  12. Big Fat'Lya

Big Fat'Lya Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2013
    Oh, it's more than that. Let's see...

The Federation is at war with the Klingons again, though now the Klingon Empire includes the Gorn, plus the Orions and Nausicaans have signed on as mercenaries. The Romulan Star Empire has collapsed, so you have multiple factions there - Tal Shiar (who control the rump empire in its near-entirety), the Romulan Republic, Reman terrorists, etc. These fight each other as much as they battle (sometimes ally) with outsiders. The Tholians show up occasionally, doing weird and generally violent things in systems they really shouldn't be in. The Breen are attacking neutral systems and trying to control Preserver technology, while apparently being no-one's allies. The Borg and Species 8472 ("Undine") are both making devastating incursions. Every mysterious baddie from the shows whose origin was never explained (bluegill parasites, solanagen abducting aliens, "shroomies", etc.) is reimagined as a harbinger or servant of the Iconians, who manipulated Species 8472 who in turn manipulated the Klingon-Gorn war and the subsequent Klingon-Federation war (the Iconians are also responsible for the destruction of Romulus, so everything happening in Romulan space is their fault too). The Cardassian True Way is rebuilding a new Cardassian-Jem'Hadar separatist alliance and attacking the Cardassian government, Starfleet, and anyone else. Some time-displaced Jem'Hadar who don't know the Dominion War is over show up. The Mirror Universe Terran Empire is back, somehow, apparently having learned nothing, and is making incursions. The Delta Quadrant has been half-conquered by the Vaadwaur, who are apparently really, really dedicated. The Voth are being idiots because of Doctrine and making everything worse while playing with Omega Molecules (also they have T-rex with frickin' laser beams). The Hirogen are strolling around hunting everyone and being mercenaries for some of the Romulan factions. Most alarmingly, Neelix is cooking winter recipes for Q.

It's a fun game, for sure, but it definitely shouldn't be taken seriously as an actual sensible extrapolation of the Trek 'verse's future development. Save a few bits here and there (the whole Romulan situation is actually really convincing).

13. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Though some of that is out of date, the Federation, Klingon and Romulans teamed up to fight the Iconians for instance.

Tanjint and Sinrebirth like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Lorr San Tekka was the Mayor of Sernpidal in the EU.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Finally. A valid explanation.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Does the Corsair use Kyber Crystals?

Tanjint likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    One key difference changes the EU to the NEU and vice-versa. In one universe the Solo siblings take precedence and Finn, Rey, Poe, Ben Solo, Lor San Tekka etc all live peaceful lives or don't exist.
    In another Rey, Finn, Poe, Ben Solo, Lor San Tekka etc take precedence and the Solo siblings don't exist.
    Han and Anakin think he feels familiar right? The Force telling them that he had a role with them or something.
    Or when he blows up the Vong weapon, he gets teleported to the timeline with Rey, Finn and Poe.

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I have to say, while I mostly regard this thread as a fun thought experiment/covert cry for psychiatric help, I really like the idea of a New Republic continuing to exist as one of the member states of the Galactic Alliance, and I really wish that they'd actually done that in Legends. It would have addressed the complaints I've seen about the restoration of the Republic not even managing to last three decades, and it would have drawn a sharper distinction between the GA and previous galactic governments that at least could have helped make it harder for the post-NJO to screw up galactic politics again..

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will admit this damned thread was running through my brain during one of my TFA viewings at Kylo's confrontation with Han a part of my brain said "Oh, that's Anakin Solo reincarnated!" or something. Freakin' thread. [face_beatup]

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Kylo is what happens when a Solo child destined to be a hero is robbed of the nineteen book series in which they were to define themselves and told, "No, sorry, there is no more story. Everyone lived happily ever after."

"FINE THEN I'LL DESTROY THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. NOW I HAVE TO BE IMPORTANT!"

21. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    lol So he's the Superboy Prime of the SW multiverse?

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    [deleted]

Tanjint likes this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    That would be pretty accurate but Kylo isn't a complete fool.

That, unfortunately, strikes me as gross character assassination which doesn't make it seem like it's any better. Preserving events at the cost of everything which makes our heroes sympathetic and noble isn't something I think which is worthwhile. While it may preserve the nature of the timeline, it would ruin the heart of what was supposed to be the heart of the story--the love of the characters. It's also not the sort of thing Han Solo or Luke would ever forgive of Leia and is also bizarrely and completely out of character for her.

If we want to simply state, "Oh, Ben has just always been off camera" then that's one thing but this is quite another.

I suppose you could do an in-universe reaction for Kylo Ren's "Unperson" Status, though. maybe he was born first and was a huge part of the Solo family's life. Then Jacen Solo, as Darth Caedus, proceeded to go back in time and attempted to wipe out his brother from existence. We know that he can't alter events but he's capable of altering memories on a galactic scale. Obviously, that means he experimented with it before.

I admit, though, I'd prefer he was Anakin.

Tanjint likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Leia not telling Han about baby one but is fine with babies two, three and four is a bit much for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanjint likes this.
  25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    YES IT'S PERFECT OMG.