main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit One Canon - Merging Legends and the New Canon - TFA spoilers, very much so

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 8, 2016.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am woefully behind on DC context nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I was thinking of this thread when reading the Snoke's identity debates. So far, theories are that Snoke is either Darth Plagueis or some guy we haven't heard of.

The first option is predictable, and the second is just not very interesting. With the EU eliminated, the suspects on who Snoke could be are massively reduced, since Disney canon is nowhere near as large as Legends canon. Thus, we need to turn to the EU for compelling suspects. ;)

Thinking of the parallels between TFA and the EU (Darth Jacen, New Jedi Order purge), it's clear Snoke is really A'Sharad Hett of Disney canon (I believe he was mentioned in a recent Fact Files)

Like his EU counterpart, Hett is a Tusken turned Jedi. Fleeing the Jedi Purge, he escaped to Tatooine to be a Tusken tribe leader. He then attacked the Lars farm, where he was defeated by Obi-Wan and got the scar on his face. Snoke's appearance is what Tuskens look like unmasked--unlike the EU, Hett is not human and has a long Tusken lifespan.

Hett vowed revenge on all Jedi like in the EU. He named himself Snoke and the Knights of Ren are his version of the One Sith.

Ok, so obviously Disney won't go this route. But considering how the lackluster rumors of TFA ended up being horrifically true (Kylo is Darth Jacen, Luke is in TFA for half a minute), I don't really know if Disney will think of any better origin for Snoke.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

3. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I signed up for these forums while lurking when I found this thread. I really like the concept behind this thread, but I don't agree with a lot of conclusions people have come to. I'm not going to tackle anything post-NJO (other than Legacy since it's pretty unaffected,) but I do want to give my piece.

My personal way of reconciling the DisnEU with the EU is this:
    The Empire as a whole does not sue for peace after the Battle of Jakku; rather, the Imperial Remnants that go on to make up the First Order do. Other forces are not so eager to give up.
    Chewbacca narrowly escapes the Yuuzhan Vong's attack on Sernpidal but was shortly thereafter captured by the Vong and put to work as a slave. Towards the end of the war he escapes the Vong and re-unites with Han.
    Hosnian Prime is the de facto capital of the Republic after the Vong invasion, since Coruscant is still recovering from the war.
    I personally subscribe to the idea that Palpatine's reason for building his superweapons was to protect against the Vong. Starkiller Base began construction on Ilum by the Empire, but was shortly forgotten about until Thrawn surfaced. Afterwards the First Order, an Imperial Remnant that becomes prominent during the Vong War, claims it as their capital.
    Ben Solo was an illegitimate child of Leia's who she had hidden away by Luke. The reason she had him hidden was so Han wouldn't be sprung upon with the duties of being a father, but also because she sensed the Dark Side being very powerful within him. Ben is whisked away to a secret academy where Luke brings other troubled students. Also at the academy is Snoke. Snoke slowly begins corrupting some of the students and gets them interested in the Knights of Ren.
    Luke has not been missing for a decade, but toward the end of the Vong War he does go off the grid to find an ancient temple. Since there's not a whole lot of material between New Jedi Order and Dark Nest, this is a really good place to fill in with the new EU. I'll also say that you can probably move TFA to 31 ABY rather than 34 ABY, just to give it a little more space.
    As for resolving anything else, the gaps will need to be filled later on.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I like this, and the idea of giving TFA space.

Rey is definitely on Jakku for nine years, that is all I can say.

Tanjint likes this.
  5. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    According to the script and Pablo Hidalgo, the slaughter we see the Knights of Ren partaking in in Rey's forceback is not the Jedi academy, so let's say that's shortly before Rey is taken to Jakku. It's possible that the Ren were sent by Snoke to relocate Rey during the Vong War, but before Kylo Ren completed his training by slaughtering Luke's academy. Maybe Snoke considered Rey to be an asset and needed to be protected by the war, and somehow knew that the Vong were going to target her homeworld.

Tanjint and Sinrebirth like this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Haven't read the whole thread yet because I'm lazy, but why is it necessary for Rey to be taken to Jakku by Snoke or Ben?

And yeah, the vision was of the Knights of Ren slaughtering a village that had Anakin's lightsaber.

Tanjint likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh was it now.

So how does the saber get from the village to Maz I wonder?

As to your query, there was an assumption that Rey survived the massacre.

Tanjint likes this.
  8. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    From comments elsewhere, Maz snuck in and stole it!

Tanjint likes this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I think Rey was created out of sand by a Celestial to be the arch-rival to the line of Anakin "I don't like Sand" Skywalker.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Sinrebirth I love this idea - I'm doing a very similar thing myself - only my canon is a bit narrower. I don't try to encompass everything, just the stuff that I like or am familiar with. I've gone a bit in-depth about it to Force Smuggler :p

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Maz stole it from the Knights of Ren after they recovered it.

I believe Pablo indirectly shot down the Rey massacre theory by stating it was more recent than when Rey was left on Jakku. Which coupled with the vision not showing the NJO massacre eliminates the main piece of evidence that she did survive it.

Tanjint likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    If it was more recent we can leave canon as it was, as there is a full five years between NJO and TFA.

Ooooooh.

Bloodline is see in 28 ABY.

If the village massacre took place 9 years before TFA by Ben and the Knights of Ren, it doesn't say much as to how good he was though...

Tanjint likes this.
  13. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I think the lightsaber was left by Luke for safekeeping with Maz so if anyone came by looking for Luke they'd know they were on the right track.

Tanjint likes this.
  14. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    From the look and mannerisms of 'Child Rey', I'd have put her in the five to seven year bracket.

Tanjint likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't know if there's any verification of when Ben wiped out the NJO and wiped out the village, but if there isn't I'd like to think that it was six or seven years before TFA so Ben is 23, the same age as Anakin in ROTS and Luke in ROTJ.

Edit: pretty sure the leaked script confirms Maz stole it from KoR after they stole it from the village. I'm not sure if it explains how it got from Bespin to the village.

Tanjint likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    She's been on Jakku since she was 10 at a very minimum as her pilot fabric doll was made on Jakku then.

But this is interesting.

I still think we'll struggle fitting Bloodline into the NJO but I am prepared to try.

Tanjint likes this.
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Mara Jade gave it to her when she decided to make her own lightsaber. :)

Tanjint and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The problem with any "secret child' theories is Han very obviously considers Ben his son and Ben obviously considers Han his father. They're not talking about a biological relationship alone either as a major motive of Ben Solo is his disappointment in Han.

19. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Han could have found out about Ben later in his life and become a father figure that way.

Tanjint and Charlemagne19 like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Mine the NEU for characters, groups, ships, planets, aliens etc of stories in the EU.

Tanjint likes this.
  21. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Looked on IMDb, the actress' profile says she can play 5 to 8 year-old's, so I wasn't that far off.

Tanjint likes this.
  22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Which still boils down to Leia lying to her husband about something fundamental for decades.

That's not Leia.

DarthJaceus and Tanjint like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anakin Solo didn't die in the Vong war but it warped him even more (Snoke was still influencing lil' Anakin Solo off screen), Anakin comes back, says Anakin died because he was weak (same thing Kylo says about the name Ben) and takes up the name of Ben. Luke and Mara think it's weird that the not-dead Anakin, now "Ben" Solo is stealing their kid's name.

Tanjint and AplagueOnTheWise like this.
  24. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Unless Leia didn't tell Han to protect him. What would it do to someone who's been told that they fathered a child by accident, and their child has turned to the dark side?

Tanjint likes this.
  25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Then Leia doesn't go to help Ren and yet sends her husband to redeem him in TFA.

Tanjint likes this.