main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit One Canon - Merging Legends and the New Canon - TFA spoilers, very much so

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 8, 2016.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well if you follow the OP, if the timeline is adjusted to use the Clone Wars retcon on the gap between 4 and 9 ABY in the old canon, then the NJO ends in 25 ABY, so there are a good three years space for Denon to be rotated out as the capital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanjint and Force Smuggler like this.
  2. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Alright, that works.

Tanjint and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm actually more concerned by Bloodlines than TFA as it has the potential to include a lot of detail that TFA couldn't get into as a movie (and the novelisation is not the strongest in my opinion).

If I *do* figure out a way to shrink Legends to less time and not horrendously mess with the ages of the cast (and leave space for the new canon to breath), I will make everyone aware(!)

Tanjint and Tim Battershell like this.
  4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Thinking of this thread, it's shocking how easily TFA could fit into the EU after the NJO books, and eliminating everything from Dark Nest onwards, if Han had just yelled Jacen instead of Ben in the film.

Chewie was obviously found alive after the Vong War. Mara, Ben, and Jaina all went down in the Knights of Ren Jedi Purge. The New Republic reformed after the Vong War on Hosnian Prime, and the Admiral Ackbar in TFA is Gial's relative.

Losing Jaina, Mara, and Ben is too painful for the Big 3 to talk about, so they don't (and it's too much to explain to a film audience anyway). The Big 3 can't change the past, and can only focus on trying to redeem Kylo/Jacen for now.

If Ben were named Jacen instead, it's almost as if Kasdan and Abrams had finished reading The Unifying Force and said, let's start writing about what happened 5 years from this book.

My personal take on preserving EU best with Disney canon now is still eliminating everything post-ROTJ except the Jedi Knight games, Truce at Bakura, Shadows of Mindor, and Scourge. But it's still unnerving how much TFA parallels the old EU.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

5. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    'Ben' could be a family nickname, or a middle-name; not so?

Tanjint and sidv88 like this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It does work out pretty well if everything post-NJO is dropped.

Tanjint and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    But how is that really unifying canon if you cut out major parts? Sure, plenty of people don't like the post-NJO EU, but isn't the important part making sure the stories flow together?

Tanjint likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I don't want to do that at all. I just note the issues of having a 'no Han, but we have Chewie' continuity faced with a 'no Chewie, but we have Han' continuity.

If Luke and/or Leia die in Episode 8 and it's not set ten years after Episode 7 it gets harder to do.

Not impossible, but harder.

I'm just conscious that some peoples mileage will vary and I am not an extremist - it is not my way or the high way. If you don't really like anything post-NJO, then drop it. It you do, then work with me.

I love everything and I will keep it all for my purposes.

9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I sincerely admire what you're trying to do here, Sinrebirth, although I don't really understand it. With all due respect, this seems a bit delusional.
    “Your EU is dead, son,” Cliegg said decidedly, “accept it.”

Sinrebirth , Tanjint and Noash_Retrac like this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Thank you, Lelal, I appreciate that.

It is delusional, but it is fun.

I like to think that people like Luceno, Stover, Stackpole, Ostrander, Traviss, Allston, Tyers, McDowell, Keyes, Zahn, Denning, Golden and the rest will all be happy to see their stories getting the canonical love they deserve.

11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, no one would have been happier than me to see the whole Legends package stay (yes, all of it: the good, the bad, and the ugly). But well... we didn't get to decide. :(

Tanjint and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    some thoughts about Dark Times and Marvel's Vader I wanted to get some input on; Jedi Ben suggested I post this here

So to be clear, years ago I bought and read the first TPB to Dark Times, a story where Vader is concerned about what the Empire will do now that they have the Galaxy. The story has a lot to do with Vader wondering about Palpatine’s plans for him and the Galaxy, coloring their master/apprentice relationship in interesting and logical wats. I never read the rest of the series though all the new great Vader content is making me want to.

This new series’ first 6 issue arc is similarly concerned with Vader’s relationship with Palpatine as Vader learns of alternate apprentices and the secret existence of his offspring.

Even though these series are separated by company and over a decade the first trade of the new Marvel Vader series really felt like a great conclusion to the Palatine/Vader arc Dark Times depicts. It seems the farther we go to prequel era the more Palpatine is trying to please Vader and to convince him that he made the right choice.

By the time Marvel’s Vader is happening Vader is trying to please Palpatine and seems devoid of all the idealism he was holding onto in Dark Times. Similarly it seems that Vader was the Emperor’s perfect pupil until the re-emergence of his offspring which is such a ridiculously interesting idea to me. Not only am I hooked into the new Vader series but now I desperately want to go back and read the Dark Times series I never finished to see how the Vader/Emperor relationship develops, especially in light of Vader’s proclamation near the end of the first Vader arc that he “now understands his relationship with the Emperor perfectly” or something like that.

The biggest separator I’m guessing is that dark times Vader is well aware of Mara Jade, other Hands, Inquisitors etc. whereas Marvel’s Vader seems to be much more in the dark about the Emperor’s other apprentices who have much less to do with the darkside in this new universe.

Is anyone willing to

1. Summarize how Vader and Emperor’s relationship develops in dark times and
    2. Connect that to the culmination of that we’re seeing in the new Vader series?

Given the nature of the ‘wipe’ I know there’s no perfect linkage, but I still think it’s legit to trace this arc as part of analyzing different depictions of the Vader/Sidious relationship.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Actually, as mentioned before and how Lucasfilm continuity gurus did in the past, the answer to the whole thing is pretty simple. The dates are wrong. Every single one of them. You know how we're supposed to just say the dates for the Clone Wars in the Thrawn trilogy are simply wrong? Or the dates of the Clone Wars multimedia project are wrong? Well, the dates, times, ages and years from Truce at Barakua to Crucible are totally wrong.

The entire OT era of the post ROTJ EU simply happened earlier. As in everything. It all happened before TFA (and Han & Leia had four kids, Ben didn't get talked about much because he was odd). Or, more accurately, when Crucible ends, right after that is the destruction of Luke's New Jedi Order by Kylo Ren. By Crucible, the only surviving EU Solo kid at that point is Jania and Luke's kid is Ben Skywalker. They're dead too. Bought in in the Jedi Massacre. Only Ben Solo / Kylo Ren is left. Since we don't have a concrete date for when Kylo killed Luke's students, let's say, uhm.... 25 years after Endor.

So there we go. It's true. All of it. It just happened much quicker.

You're welcome.

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Just in case, here's my reply to your post in the thread you created regarding this question:

In summary, in Dark Times we see pretty strong hints of what's to be of the relationship between Vader and Palpatine in the Marvel comics. Despite the fact that both stories are in different continuities, so far Dark Times remains compatible with both Legends and the new canon.

Tanjint likes this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    This is literally what I've been saying throughout the thread, BigAl...

... But you will likely struggle to push anything post-NJO any further forward.

Chop four years off from Endor to Thrawn, fine, but babies still take 9 months to grow and Kylo and then Jacen and Jaina is a thing and Leia isn't pregnant in every pre-Thrawn appearance we have. NJO specifically references the ages of the Solo children, so that's an issue, and then everything DNT onwards is again age tied up by Allana.

Tanjint likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Like I said, the ages and dates are all wrong! Even Dark Nest to Crucible. so Anakin Solo died when he was I guess 15. So Darth Caedus died when he was, I dunno, 21. his grandkid only lived to be 3. Jania only lived to be 25. Ben Skywalker only lived to be 15 or whatever. Jania Solo and Ben Skywalker died in the Jedi Massacre by Kylo Ren (bonus points for moar grief for Han & Luke to run away). From that point on, TFA canon takes over. (And any reference in canon to "decades of peace" or only one kid is a lie.)

Tanjint likes this.
  17. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    I don't mind being spoiled on DT. I kind of need to be spoiled to decide what to buy, the DH stuff getting expensive. Even Marvel's reprints are 10 bucks more than the DH omnibi.

Does DT remain Vader centric after arc 1?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Dark Times isn't very Vader centric in general, so yes, while you can expect as much Vader in the rest of DT as in the first arc, that isn't much. If you want Vader centric stories, I suggest you read Darth Vader and the Last Command and Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison. And of course, the current Marvel series.

For the spoiler part, Palpatine turns an Order 66 surviving Jedi to the Dark Side and forces him to find other Jedi. Eventually Vader finds the new servant of Palpatine and kills him.

Tanjint likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Allana as a three year old can't be shooting down Sith. She'd be three. A three year old cannot hold a gun and interact with adults to the extent she does. There's limited to cutting her timeline down.

I *am* however looking long and hard at the Dark Empire year. There isn't really a reason why Empire's End doesn't end in 10.5 ABY, shortly after Anakin's birth, what with how Empire's End picks up straight after Dark Empire 2. That's another half year off matters, though Leia falls pregnant pretty sharpish after Jacen and Jaina are born; it happens, and it was a whirlwind few months after Thrawn was beaten. Maybe it shaves a few months off at most. Shrug.

Equally the timeframe between Coruscant and Selaggis doesn't even remotely look like a year in the novels, unless the Bacta War was really that long, but I'd need to plot it, what with Han off for five months hunting Zsinj... Not a year. But that's more of a post-Concordance pre-Thrawn issue and so lumping everything from after Wedge's Gamble/Krytos Trap to Last Command in 5 ABY seems feasible to me.

'Decades of peace' can be covered by 'decades of peace between the Empire and New Republic', not necessarily 'three decades of total peace'.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Alright, okay, she's five or whatever. As I saids, so view the EU ages and dates are all wrong anyway. These are fictional people who lead exceptionally busy lives. Just ask Wolverine or Spider-Man, they get a hellova lot crammed into a single day.

Tanjint likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    True enough. There's definite mileage, though. I don't know how much with Allana, but some, agreed.

Let's say, generously, we chopped off around four years with the gap between Endor and the Thrawn trilogy, cut at the years between the end of the Hand of Thrawn Duoligy and the YJK novels, then take away the five/six years for Jacen Solo's vanishing act, as Ben's age isn't overly relevant in the DNT as long as he's old enough to talk and then a couple years off Allana's timeline (though that makes Ben something like 8 in LotF), you could probably make it so Crucible takes place in 29 or 30 ABY, but I'd point out Ben and Allana's ages are pretty low for the things they get involved in, ditto the Solo children in the Vong War, and you'll need to cut at references to the Solo-Skywalker children's ages in a downwards fashion.

Of course, Bloodline is set in 28 ABY. So that potentially hits on Daala ruling the Galaxy as a nut-job, and Luke taking down Abeloth, in this not especially detailed way of resolving thins that likely won't work in the long term, and the Empire has been playing up and invading worlds in the last two years.

EDIT: To anyone reading this in the future (or ever), I don't personally like this as the ages of Jacen, Jaina, Ben and Allana are relevant for their respective arcs. I very reluctantly made Ben four years older in my initial idea. In the future, if TFA onwards shakes things up, I may have to change my view but currently I don't see why the NJO-DNT gap being extended by the shrinking of the Endor to Thrawn gap doesn't resolve it all with minimal intrigue around Han's death.

BigAl6ft6 and Tanjint like this.
  22. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Maybe a good way to go about working out the inconsistencies is that as they evolve, just write them out on a time scale and see where you can move the conflicting data to fix it.

Tanjint likes this.
  23. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
  24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Right now, it appears that the Killik Crisis/Swarm War would take place in the Legends equivalent time as The Force Awakens: both are around 36 years after the Battle of Yavin (assuming that TFA is strictly 32 years after ROTJ and that ROTJ is 4 years after ANH).

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    TFA is 34 ABY. DNT is 35 to 36 ABY, currently. So the setup may be there but the Alliance moved its capital to Coruscant 'recently', so that segues well with Hosnian exploding.

The whole Chiss/Killik/EotH element reads like a good Cold War story, especially when Imperial Remnant territory only expands in 35 ABY... Newly negotiated Galactic Concordance anyone?