main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

One Hundred and One Things I Love About ANH

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by AdamBertocci, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I already did similar lists for, in order, AOTC, TPM and ROTJ. I've tackled the underrated ones. Now it's time to gush over the two films people are nice to.
    This is my favorite SW film. In fact, I consider it the greatest film ever made. It's also the movie that inspired me to go into filmmaking. I can still remember watching it for the first time as a child. This was the movie that let me take my first step into that larger world. So don't be surprised if this is my most emotional and even hyperbolic.
    Some of these things are big, some are small. Some are things everyone loves, some are little subtle points, some are things many people don't like at all.
    I've tried to focus on specific moments, not the big things, but when you're tackling the greatest movie you've ever seen, sometimes you gotta just say "I love it all".
    In more or less chronological order, here's one hundred and one things I love about the film that started it all... a film that's cheesy, corny, haphazard, messy, badly-written roughly made... and perfect.

1. The opening crawl. Let?s not forget that ANH introduced to us many of the things we find familiar in SW, so if this list ventures into the obvious, so be it. But this introduction is a brilliant device. John Williams? score is pure magic, and here sounds brassier and more triumphant than any other crawl. This also happens to be the only crawl I can recite from memory. As for ?A New Hope?, it?s the only SW episode title that I think could actually stand on its own in non-SW context. It?s actually a ?good? title. The rest, of course, went a cheesier route, not that that?s a bad thing. Heh, I can still remember seeing SW for the first time and being confused at this 'Episode IV' thing.
    2. The pan down from space, and the ensuing skirmish between the Tantive IV and the Devastator, remains the coolest intro shot in SW. It's a shot that will be remembered as long as SW is. It says so much about the movie ahead: this is a film where huge ships exist, ones that fill the screen and keep on going. There's wars in these here stars. But don't worry; we keep their laser colors separate so you can see who's who.
    3. I like the design of the Tantive IV interiors. Interesting without being obtrusive.
    4. Artoo's first 'line' in the film, the "bee-dah-be-bah", is one of the few I can quote. Threepio and Artoo's litte chat here helps us realize we've been thrown into the middle of something; time to figure it out for ourselves, but first, let's get through this battle.
    5. I like Threepio's sound design. Every joint has a special noise; listen to the "brrrh!" of his neck right after he says "What's that?"
    6. I've always liked the shadow crossing the Tantive IV as it gets sucked into the Star Destroyer.
    7. Darth Vader remains, in my mind, the greatest screen villain of all time. So scary, so cool. His fearsome breath introduces him here. It's enough to set a mood.
    8. Princess Leia is beyond gorgeous. And of course you can't fault the ridiculously symbolic pure white dress, nor the just-plain-ridiculous cinnamon bun hairstyle. Beautiful.
    9. Vader's voice is chilling and just plain awesome.
    10. The shot of Captain Antilles' feet dangling above the ground is an amusing touch.
    11. Threepio's "mindless philosopher" line is funny stuff.
    12. As is "I'm going to regret this," for different reasons.
    13. "There'll be no one to stop us this time" is one of my favorite lines in the saga.
    14. Another good Threepio line: "We seem to be made to suffer," etc. The droids-by-themselves-on-Tatooine stuff runs a little long, but it's almost worth it for the one-liners.
    15. Threepio kicking Artoo is amusing. Hey, I find droid slapstick incredibly funny. Sue me.
    16. I love the music cues as we see Threepio wandering alone in the desert. Somehow John Williams tripped over the perfect music to evoke the feeling of a ho

2. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Nice list, but blasphemy for including SE scenes. I especially agree with 2, 13, 38, 83, 89 and 98.

3. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Twenty-eight things I love about ANH

1. Opening theme with "Star Wars" logo slowly disappearing into the stars.

2. Opening crawl in bright yellow print: "It is a period of civil war."

3. The score strikes all the right notes as the camera pans down onto Tattoine, and then the drums start pounding as the star destroyer races overhead, filling up almost the whole screen.

4. The rebel soldiers quickly taking combat stance along the corridor.

5. Artoo and C3-PO together, looking upward; then as we see the blockade runner being pulled up into the much larger ship. " There will be no escape for the princess this time."

6. Darth Vader's famous entrance, music on cue.

7. " The damage doesn't look as bad from out here." I like how the star destroyer is swirling round and round through the pod's window.

8. C3-PO kicking Artoo. "Go that way. You'll be malfunctioning within a day, you nearsighted scrap pile."

9. The jawas stalking Artoo in the canyon. I like those little whisperings.

10. Luke stumbling onto Leia's holographic message. I like how she whirls around and then inserts the tape.

11. When Luke first ignites a
    lightsabre. "An elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

12. Han Solo introducing himself to Luke and Ben. I like how Chewbacca loomes beside him.

13. Millenium Falcon coming out of hyperspace, being followed by TIE fighter. I love all the dialogue in this sequence.

14. A little-mentioned scene: showing the Millenium Falcon arriving at the Death Star, with a couple of storm troopers standing around in the foreground.

15. Chewbacca confronting that little shoebox-droid in the hallway.

16. The whole trash compactor scene. When ANH first came out, this was my most favorite scene.

17. As Leia comforts Luke, Han bursts in and tells them, " Come on, we're not out of this yet!" And they all race to their stations. Love the music here.

18. Han and Luke talking about Leia: "Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know...do you think the princess and a guy like me?" "NO!"

19. POV of ships entering the Death Star trench. It makes me jump out of my skin every time!

20. "I'm picking up new signals: enemy ships headed your way." For some reason, I really like the music and the actor's poise.

21. That closeup of Leia and the music cue as she realizes that Luke is one of the few left. " Alright, we're going in: we're going in full throttle."

22. When Luke is the only fighter left in the battle. You realize that the odds are stacked against him.

23. Music begins to build up for the victory.

24. TIE fighters flanking Vader's ship explode. "What?!"

25. Final shot of Tarkin looking pensive.

26. Death Star explosion, how it lingers.

27. Princess Leia in her ceremony outfit.

28. Han Solo winking at Leia as she brings the metal around him.

ANH: a hell of a good time, isn't it?

4. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    always get a kick out of the fact that the iris out is centered between Leia's legs. The last thing we see in the film is Princess Leia's crotch. Hey, I call 'em as I see 'em.

Thank you for giving a new, fun and exciting thing to look for and reason to watch these movies again.

5. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Another great list, it must have taken a lot of time.

Here's some of the little things I love that haven't been mentioned:

1. C3PO convinces Owen to buy R2-D2 "he's in prime condition, a real bargain" then claims "that R2 unit has always been a problem" and after Luke says "That droids gonna cause me a lot of trouble, 3PO responds with "Oh, he excels at that, sir."

2. I always found it funny that Dr. Evazan politely taps Luke on the shoulder before threatening to kill him.

3. I guy dressed up as Greedo once felt up my then-girlfriend. I always liked his original ANH scene.

4. I love the peice of music that begins right as the Falcoln gets caught in the tractor beam.

5. One of SW's all time best images: Ben walks down a Death Star passage and comes upon... Darth Vader, red lightsaber lit. He's been waiting years for this moment. Interesting that Vader lit his saber first (seems like the younger fighter usually lights up first); he still takes this old man seriously.

6. I love how the professional stormtroopers leave their posts to watch the boss fight.

7. Vader stepping on Ben's empty robes is so coldblooded.

8. When Leia comforts Luke on the Falcoln after Ben's death, the driod's expressionless faces manage to actually look sad.

9. "I just wish Ben were here." I've always really felt for Luke right then. He's lost so much and is now going into an almost suicidal battle with no friends. Until he runs into Biggs anyway.

10. I love the shot of the Falcoln blocking the view of the planet as Han and Chewie join the battle of Yavin.

11. The medal ceremony. You've got to be proud of the guys here. Plus, the princess looks stunning.

6. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Thanks for comments, all...

MaxVeers - As far as I'm concerned, the SEs are an improvement. I have not watched the OEs since 'round 1996 and I have no desire to.

I talk in SE terms. :D

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Yet again, you nail some much of what I enjoy about the SW films. I've loved all of these so far, I'm looking forward to the ESB one as much as the others :)

8. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    17. I am always impressed by the first shot of Artoo wandering in the canyon, with the stark red sky above. ANH may have been made cheaply, but there are still moments of great visual quality.

You do realize that's a SE change, right? So it doesn't really count to cite that as a low-budget example...

18. I don't even know why, but I like how the last sparks of Jawa stun-gun lightning course around the blue squares on Artoo's dome. It always makes me wonder what those little blue compartments are for.

I always like this too.

26. Leia's theme in the garage is a nice touch, and unobtrusive to boot. For extra fun, compare this soft, airy cue to the music we hear in the PT's garage scene.

This is one of my favorite cues in the entire saga. The cellos swell periodically and it's just gorgeous.

37. Motti's an interesting guy for the time he has. I also like how he tries to squeeze out the words "hidden fortress" before he's cut off. Very cute, George.

Heh...I can't believe I never noticed that.

43. BoShek is one of those 'random extras' I've always found cool, really for no reason.

It's the sideburns, isn't it?

53. I find it hilarious that there are guys who work in the superlaser tunnel. I mean, that's their office. What do they do? What the hell are they there for?

Yeah, and do they get worker's comp?

63. The conversation in the turbolift is amusing. Sometimes I think the other films could benefit from having these quick funny interludes.

AOTC finally brought this element back. "Good job!"

101. I always get a kick out of the fact that the iris out is centered between Leia's legs. The last thing we see in the film is Princess Leia's crotch. Hey, I call 'em as I see 'em.

Very nice...I never noticed this.

I'd just like to add one of mine:

I love the way Obi-Wan has such a no-BS attitude when bartering with Han. This isn't some old man not in touch with the real world. He's been around. He knows his way around the seedy underbelly of the galaxy. We learn all of this just from the way he insists "and NO QUESTIONS ASKED". AOTC only confirms it.

9. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Adam, nice list. However, I think you have too much time on your hands. :p

10. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think my single favorite thing about ANH is where Vader keeps gesturing with his hands even after he stops speaking. I don't know why, but everyone time I see that it's like the funniest thing ever.

...And I also love Leia's ANH attitude. So refreshing to see a girl who kicked butt rather than one who just waited for the big strong hero to rescue her.

11. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Awesome job, Adam. Your insights serve us well. I can't wait for the Ep5 thread. :D

12. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree with almsot all of your reasons for loving ANH! :D

I really like Vader, his voice, and everything about him.

I like when 3PO has his amusing antics.

I love Han Solo!

I love Princess Leia and how she's kind of a bad ass, tough girl, ya know?

And many other things. I think ANH is the best of the saga, there's just a magic feeling to the whold film, I don't know. Maybe I like it because it's the first Star Wars film, maybe because it feels like magic every time I watch it. :)

I also love the chemistry between the main three characters, a chemistry that kind of deteriorates in the next episodes. :(

13. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Up.

Rick McCallum loves you!

14. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    43. BoShek is one of those 'random extras' I've always found cool, really for no reason.

I'm with you there.

53. I find it hilarious that there are guys who work in the superlaser tunnel. I mean, that's their office. What do they do? What the hell are they there for?

"Good job I never wanted kids isn't it?"

15. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    Always a pleasure, AB. I like how when they get out of the smuggling compartments and then OB1 says (in response to Han), "Who's more foolish; the fool, or the fool who follows him." Cheesy, but good.

Vader doesn't need to stop breathing just to talk, sheesh. :p

SBC

16. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "always get a kick out of the fact that the iris out is centered between Leia's legs. The last thing we see in the film is Princess Leia's crotch. Hey, I call 'em as I see 'em. "

A new reason to watch ANH. Thanks Adam :D

17. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Great list(s)! Allow me to add some more great A New Hope moments:

The shots of the Sandcrawler interior and all the various kinds of droids, especially that gibberish-spewing bug-face gold robot, the sweet Power Droid walking around on its little feet. I want one of my own!

Obi-Wan's line: "Obi-Wan Kenobi. Obi-Wan. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A LONG time." It makes me smile every time, I can't tell you why.

That squeaky little mouse-alien who asks for a drink at the Cantina.

The way long pair of legs that walk by the camera after they sell the speeder. Absolutely unnecessary, a great touch. I've always wondered what the heck that was that walked by!

The long-snoot alien that tails our heroes. A lesser movie would probably have had some generic character in this part, but GL and company gave him a weird, memorable design and sound.

The scene where the Falcon is pulled into the Death Star never fails to give me chills. The magnitude of the battle station is well rendered here.

Han and Luke, in stormtrooper disguise, are in an elevator with doors on both sides but at first don't realize it and are momentarily confused when the side behind them opens. Great stuff, not only funny but shows that Han and Luke are really only human.

Then, at the end, when Luke successfully fires his torpedoes into the exhaust port...he breathes a huge sigh of relief! This gives the whole moment a very real dimension. Who wouldn't breathe a sigh of relief at that moment? A lesser movie would have immediately cut to the starfighters making their escape, or the pilot would have said, "YES!" and pumped his fist. But Luke is not that kind of hero, and Star Wars is not that kind of movie, and it is better for it.

18. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Always good to read these again. up!

19. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    AdamBertocci posted on 6/27/03 6:57am
    As far as I'm concerned, the SEs are an improvement. I have not watched the OEs since 'round 1996 and I have no desire to.

I talk in SE terms. [face_grin]
    [hr][/blockquote] Heathen! :p

Nice list [b]Adam[/b]. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.