main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends * One Hundred Words * [JoE?s Drabbles] ? [Now complete!]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jedi_of_ennth, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh do I love the way you write our poor, underwritten and overlooked Aryn, the not-so-average woman who got caught up in some very nasty stuff!

2. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    And now for Week 8. (Finally! :p)

-----

SakuraTsukikage:

Oh, my goodness. I love Aryn, and she's so overlooked! Not only that, but you did an incredible job on these!

I?ve always liked Aryn, and for some reason had the itch to give her some of the attention she deserves. Thanks for reading. :)

-----

Alley_Skywalker:

Thanks! :D

-----

SilSolo:

Oh do I love the way you write our poor, underwritten and overlooked Aryn, the not-so-average woman who got caught up in some very nasty stuff!

That?s exactly how I feel about her: she?s one of those peripheral characters who suffers in silence while the big names save the universe. Thanks for reading. :)

[i][b]Semi-important author?s note & introduction:[/b] We?re going back in time again to take a look at a few more KotOR2 characters. For those of you unfamiliar with the game, there are two ways to play: as a light side character, or as a dark side character. Depending on your alignment, you can train some of your companions as either Jedi or Dark Jedi. I thought Week 8?s contrasting themes offered a nice way to show each of these possibilities for two of the trainable characters: Atton and Bao-Dur. The last drabble features Darth Sion.[/i]

-----
    [b]BROKEN[/b]
    -----

Everything is broken.

The galaxy is shattered by war; people maim and lie because they see no other way to live. Bao-Dur has spent much of his life trying to piece things back together, but his efforts always end in failure, for even he is broken.

But now the Exile has offered him a simple, cold solution. ?Destroy life,? she promises, ?and it will not trouble you. Even your guilt cannot follow you into a void.?

He believes her. Death has been the only constant in his life. Perhaps, then, it is the only truth.

?Give in,? she hisses. ?Awaken.?

-----
    [b]FIXED[/b]
    -----

If traveling with the Exile has taught Bao-Dur anything, it?s this:

Everything can be fixed.

Wires get crossed when you?re angry, mistakes happen when you grow impatient, and occasionally things explode for no reason at all.

?But those are just the consequences of living,? she always says, and she knows those consequences as well as anyone. Maybe trying to rebuild the universe is a thankless job, but she never lets ingratitude stop her.

And when he grasps that mindset, he feels as though he has shaken off a decade-long sleep ? as though he finally knows what it?s like to awaken.

-----
    [b]LIGHT[/b]
    -----

Atton knows what it?s like to be lost in the dark ? in some ways, he?s still struggling to find his way out. She blinds him, and it?s getting harder and harder to bury his secrets away from her light.

When he finally confesses, tells her everything he?s said and done, she doesn?t throw him out the airlock ? she just nods, as though she expected it, and offers him something he?s never been offered:

The chance to be something other than a gambler building castles of pazaak cards in his head.

?You don?t have to run anymore,? she whispers. ?Atton ? awaken.?

-----
    [b]DARK[/b]
    -----

Atton knows what it?s like to be lost in the dark, and he can see the shadows on her face. He doesn?t know why he still follows her; maybe there?s some morbid curiosity in it all. She rages like a newborn sun, and he wants to be close to the spectacle. Someday he?ll get too close and pay the price like everyone else she comes into contact with, but he?s willing to cast his future into the inferno. For that matter, maybe he?ll throw his past in, too. In the end, it?s all a nightmare from which he can?t awaken.

-----
    [b]SHATTERED[/b]
    -----

Sion wishes he could escape from her influence, but she crawls in his skull like eternity?s worm, gnawing on his sanity. He is shattered, fractured in a million places like a fragile doll dropped from the sky, and the Force won?t let him die.

But even that is untrue; [i]he[/i] won?t let himself die, because someone must pay for all his agony.

And

3. emeraldshadow

emeraldshadow Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2005
    KotOR2 [face_thinking]

I forgot about that one! I knew there was some game that I wanted to buy besides Dirge of Cerberus!

Insightful, neat drabbles and a welcome reminder about the game I forgot. Thanks for sharing, J_O_E!

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautiful. :)

SHATTERED
    -----

Sion wishes he could escape from her influence, but she crawls in his skull like eternity?s worm, gnawing on his sanity. He is shattered, fractured in a million places like a fragile doll dropped from the sky, and the Force won?t let him die.

But even that is untrue; he won?t let himself die, because someone must pay for all his agony.

And she will be the one to pay that price, because she has forsaken the Force as he can only dream of forsaking it. She is a beautiful void, embracing a life to which he can never awaken.

Loved them all! =D=

5. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    Week 9, coming right up. (I'm only two months behind! :p)

-----

Marie:

I forgot about that one! I knew there was some game that I wanted to buy besides Dirge of Cerberus!

:eek: Shame! Shame! Shame! [face_shame_on_you] How could you forget about KOTOR2? :p

Insightful, neat drabbles and a welcome reminder about the game I forgot. Thanks for sharing, J_O_E!

Thanks for reading! :D

-----

VaderLVR64:

Thanks for reading! :D

[i]Week 9 focuses on Tahiri and Riina. [face_happy][/i]

-----
    [b]REBIRTH[/b]
    -----

[i]Between the lines of sea and storm,
    Glimpse how it feels to be reborn.[/i]
    ? Abira M?lar
    [i]Excerpt from ?The Eternal Womb? [327 BBY][/i]

Riina loves darkness, and so Tahiri leaves the light on.

Riina loves pain, and so Tahiri makes herself numb.

But pain and darkness are inescapable, and they offer necessary truths, even when we do not wish to receive them.

Sometimes, it is better to succumb.

Tahiri drowns in the pain behind her eyes, slipping slowly into Riina?s secrets ? only to find that they are her secrets as well, because Riina and Tahiri are one and the same.

-----
    [b]SCARS[/b]
    -----

[i]Crawling memories
    sprawled like starlight
    on your marble skin;
    crevices where your heart
    will never be smooth
    again.[/i]
    ? Nilx?an Jorrin
    [i]Excerpt from ?Warrior?s Riddles? [522 BBY][/i]

Wise women in fairy tales read palms and know a person?s soul. Tahiri reads her scars, and her soul holds only sorrow.

The man she loved is dead. Sometimes, she forgets who she is. She is flawed and dangerous, a would-be angel trapped in a bubble on a windowsill. She presses on because her spirit is stronger than her pain.

Can a stranger read those tragedies in the hard-edged cicatrices dancing over her eyes?

-----
    [b]DISEASE[/b]
    -----

[i]Does darkness seethe,
    Do monsters breathe,
    Does death drip under doorsteps?[/i]
    ? Unknown
    [i]Excerpt from traditional Anzati crèche chant[/i]

So many things are dying.

The worldship where Riina spent her childhood grows cold as it labors through the final throes of death. Disease and decay have weakened it to the point where it can no longer support life.

The worlds where Tahiri spent her childhood are ravaged wastelands, dark places alien and empty.

Riina mourns for her people, and Tahiri mourns for hers.

They mourn together, as friends ?

And if they were not enemies, they would have no reason to grieve.

-----
    [b]AGONY[/b]
    -----

[i]Where hurt does not exist,
    there is emptiness;
    a sliver, a shard, a pang ?
    and we are alive.[/i]
    ? Anonymous
    [i]Inscription on the Fifth Pillar of Crellysa?s Temple[/i]

Riina loves the memories: the burns and pricks and pains and small, exquisite agonies that made her beautiful. She takes pride in her scars, and hates the frail, unmarred body that contains her.

Even more, she hates the frightened, frantic mind that imprisons her in a labyrinth of subconsciousness.

Doesn?t this [i]Jeedai[/i] girl know that agony is just a part of life? Doesn?t she know to savor it for the lessons it teaches?

-----
    [b]HEALING[/b]
    -----

[i]I gathered salve and soothing balm,
    And like the wind the wounds were gone.[/i]
    ? Zaccur
    [i]Excerpt from ?Dust? [677 BBY][/i]

It all comes down to the moment when paradoxes are reconciled: when friend and enemy realize they fight only figments of their imaginations, when Jedi and Yuuzhan Vong learn the truths inherent in pain and sacrifice.

So Riina stops chasing Tahiri, and Tahiri stops running away; they stare, mirror to mirror, eyes the same shade of green ?

And they meld so seamlessly into one another that they seal the scars in the war-torn mind they tried to share.

They heal.
    [hr]
    Feedback is appreciated. [face_happy]

6. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    Wow, these are amazing! You pack so much emotion into such a small space. 1,2 and 4 were my favorites: they were heartbreaking, and you captured the J/Z relationship and what could have been so well. Even KotOR, which I'm not familiar with, seemed familiar because of the way you wrote it. Great job! =D=

7. emeraldshadow

Oct 7, 2005
    You captured the struggle between Tahiri and Riina and their seperate pesonalities perfectly. I especially liked the quotes that started each drabble. I think this set was your best so far.

8. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    Here?s Week 10. I?m halfway done! [face_dancing]

-----

Emerald_Lady:

Wow, these are amazing! You pack so much emotion into such a small space. 1,2 and 4 were my favorites: they were heartbreaking, and you captured the J/Z relationship and what could have been so well. Even KotOR, which I'm not familiar with, seemed familiar because of the way you wrote it. Great job!

Thank you so much for taking the time to catch up! :D I?m glad you?ve enjoyed these drabbles. :)

-----

Marie:

You captured the struggle between Tahiri and Riina and their seperate pesonalities perfectly. I especially liked the quotes that started each drabble. I think this set was your best so far.

Thanks. :) The quotes at the beginning of the drabbles were actually inspired by Zonoma?s Week 3 ?poetry drabbles?; I wanted to try my hand at incorporating poetry, but I wasn?t brave enough to attempt a drabble-poem. ;)

Thanks for reading. :D

[i]Week 10?s theme was provided by [b]emeraldshadow[/b]; she challenged me to write ?the senators contemplating the repercussions of giving Palpatine emergency powers.? These drabbles take place during AotC. [face_happy][/i]

-----
    [b]BELL[/b]
    -----

Senator Miralla Decale abandons regality, slumping before her mirror and allowing her eyes to wander the wrinkles of her face. Her memory traces back to the days when she was a young woman on Qale IV, caught up in her world?s bloody civil war, and now she wonders if the galaxy is on the same twisted path.

Earlier, when the motion to grant Palpatine emergency powers was raised, everything seemed so clear ? but now Miralla hears the solemn bells of Qale IV playing the traditional funeral hymn; she mouths those first familiar words ?

"[i]Mother soil, my bones return to thee. ?[/i]"

-----
    [b]BOOK[/b]
    -----

?Do you think it was the right thing to do?? his wife asks, her voice strained and low.

Senator Krell Illnson sighs and looks up from his book. ?Of course it was. By granting Chancellor Palpatine emergency powers, I?ve won the support of the Biltarri delegation and ensured their help in passing the Allinton project I introduced last month ? ?

?No,? she whispers, and now her eyes reflect the intensity of her voice. ?[i]Was it right[/i]??

He deliberately sets the book down, rubs his temples, and picks it up again. The next line reads ?

[i]He sold his soul for power.[/i]

-----
    [b]CANDLE[/b]
    -----

Evening comes, and Senator Yuura is alone in the inner chamber of his suite. Here he changes into the ceremonial robes and performs the simple, ancient rituals that will bring him safe and peaceful sleep.

?Be a light for my soul in the midnight darkness,? he murmurs, as he has murmured every night. He lights the candle in the middle of the room. Will the gods hear him tonight? Will they leave him to his nightmares because he has granted Chancellor Palpatine such powers?

The religious texts say ?

[i]Those who grant men the power of gods incur the gods? wrath.[/i]

-----
    [b]BOWL[/b]
    -----

?Supper?s ready.?

If Senator Ki Artiu was thinking clearly, the fact that her husband managed to fix dinner without destroying anything would have shocked her. But she is too harried to care and too frustrated to sit down at the table.

She grabs a bowl of stew and a spoon and goes to her workroom, ignoring her husband?s protests. The Senate gave in! How could they possibly place so much power in Palpatine?s hands? No one can be trusted with that amount of responsibility; something is bound to break ?

The bowl shatters as Ki slams it down on her desk.

-----
    [b]BLADE[/b]
    -----

Senator Ijiime of Altha-Morra cannot sleep. Lavender sheets spread over bare legs, she leans back against her pillow and studies the image on her datapad.

[i]Palpatine[/i].

He looks so old, so fragile ? and yet she has given him the universe, to shape

9. emeraldshadow

Oct 7, 2005
    I can't imagine why this didn't get any reviews. I hate it when good things get buried. You did a fabulous job with the challenge.

10. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I'm a sucker for Yuuzhan Vong drabbles, and dualistic minds. Your poetry also makes a great stand alone :D

And as for the senators, I liked their portrayal. Not much material about civilians is being circulated. In truth I didn't think of events through their eyes...

11. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    And on to Week 11! [face_dancing]

-----

Marie:

You did a fabulous job with the challenge.

Thanks. :D And thanks for giving me such a great topic; it made me think outside the box. ;)

-----

kecen:

Thanks for stopping by! :D

I'm a sucker for Yuuzhan Vong drabbles, and dualistic minds. Your poetry also makes a great stand alone

Thanks again! :D I?ve really enjoyed experimenting with different topics throughout these drabbles; the Yuuzhan Vong mindset was one I?d never written before.

And thank you for the comment on the poetry; I like to dabble in it a little.

And as for the senators, I liked their portrayal. Not much material about civilians is being circulated. In truth I didn't think of events through their eyes...

Neither did I until emeraldshadow thought up the theme. 8-} But I?m glad you liked the way I portrayed them; I tried to craft unique personalities for each, despite the fact that they were only on stage for one hundred words each.

[i]Week 11 focuses once more on Jaina and Zekk ? this time, we?re taking a look at their pre-YJK relationship. [face_happy][/i]

-----
    [b]DAWN[/b]
    -----

Dawn is real enough inside the Imperial Palace; Jaina watches from her bedroom window as sunlight glints off the highest buildings, touching first the very tops and slowly traveling toward noon. But the sunlight isn?t real; for security?s sake, it is an illusion, relayed from a holocam outside the Palace walls to this plane of glass looking out on nothing.

Her walls splotched by the rising sun, Jaina half-feels warmth on her freckled face. Dawn is technology and imagination and computer circuits clever enough to emit heat and light in conjunction with a recorded image.

And it?s all very safe.

-----
    [b]MORNING[/b]
    -----

It?s already morning in the sky when dawn sprawls across the mid-levels and stops on the threshold of a centuries-untouched darkness. Zekk slips past the sunlight, treading in shadows the day doesn?t dare disturb. This is his territory, the dangerous edge of a knife that cuts his calloused feet as he tightropes his way through adolescence.

Streetlight slender, he moves like a whip from catwalk to catwalk, level to level, a Wookiee in his own never-ending forest, master of the labyrinth. He breathes exhilaration, adventure, adrenaline; he tells himself he?s lucky to have this freedom.

But it?s all an illusion.

-----
    [b]NOON[/b]
    -----

Their worlds collide at noon, spinning into each other in a mid-level junk shop. They dance on the seam that separates them ? she has ventured as far in his direction as she can, and he has risen from the shadows to meet her in the upper reaches of his atmosphere.

Jaina laughs as they poke through piles of broken machinery, Zekk jokes as the surly Nautolan shop owner follows them with suspicious dark eyes, and their differences melt away in the fires of friendship.

And then they spin away again, returning to their respective realities, both all the more enlightened.

-----
    [b]DUSK[/b]
    -----

Dusk is just as real as dawn for Jaina Solo, and so she switches off the depressingly deceptive window screen. Her fingers fumble idly with a multitool; over and over it goes in her hands, and she imagines the breeze on her face and the neon pulse of Coruscant as the sun goes down.

She wonders if Zekk is wandering the wide boulevards above the skylanes, a brave shadow under sun-bright billboards. She asks herself if she would trade her existence for his, and the answer is swift and affirmative.

Because freedom is reality, and safety is just an illusion.

-----
    [b]EVENING[/b]
    -----

Evening is ebony, and supernova thrills ignite Zekk?s blood as night leaves him vulnerable and anonymous. He shouldn?t be out this late in Lost Ones territory, but home means nothing to him with Peckhum away on a supply run, and danger always trumps boredom in Zekk?s tenuous game of cards.

Besides, Norys will never catch

12. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    Wow! I love the contrast here, and the irony in how they both want to trade places with each other. That was addressed a little bit in YJK, but never this well. The imagery and descriptions are wonderful. I think my favorite part was the comparison between Jaina's synthetic dawn and prison-like safety with Zekk's illusory freedom. Fantastic job! :D

13. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    Week 12, coming right up. :)

-----

Emerald_Lady:

Wow! I love the contrast here, and the irony in how they both want to trade places with each other. That was addressed a little bit in YJK, but never this well.

Thanks! I wanted to give this set a YJK feel, so I tried to expound on a concept that was introduced in those books.

The imagery and descriptions are wonderful. I think my favorite part was the comparison between Jaina's synthetic dawn and prison-like safety with Zekk's illusory freedom. Fantastic job!

Thanks very much. [face_blush]

[i]Week 12 stars Jacen Solo. [face_happy][/i]

-----
    [b]GOOD[/b]
    -----

Jacen begins as an idealistic shadowmoth warrior, curled like a wisp of smoke in a cocoon of vibrant pain.

[i]?We can?t kill them!? he protests, his voice rising. ?We?re Jedi, not murderers!?

?So what do we do with them?? Jaina challenges. ?Let them go? Lock them up so they can escape and come after us again??

He bites his lip because he doesn?t have an answer. Her head makes more sense than his heart, and he doesn?t know which to follow. He wants to make things better, but what good can he do in a galaxy so dark as this?[/i]

-----
    [b]EVIL[/b]
    -----

Jacen hides his face in his hands and crumples like paper, crisp black uniform crinkling and losing its dignity as he slumps forward. What good can evil do in a galaxy so dark as this?

[i]?Lady Justice demands the extreme,? he says, silhouetted against the horizon like a soldier on a recruitment poster.

?So what do we do with them?? Ben asks. ?Lock them up??

?They?ll only escape and cause more trouble for us later.?

?So ?? Ben studies his scuffed boots. ?If we?re not going to lock them up ?? He bites his lip. ?But we?re Jedi ? aren?t we??[/i]

-----
    [b]DREAM[/b]
    -----

Destiny?s misdirection sends Jacen tumbling into a garden full of weeds, and it is years before he accepts his duties as gardener.

[i]?I had a dream last night.? Anakin worries his lower lip and stares at his breakfast. ?There was a figure dressed all in black, like Darth Vader. And he was on a Star Destroyer, and he ordered all of his gunners to fire on the[/i] Falcon[i].?

?It was just a dream,? Jacen assures his younger brother.

Anakin?s eyes meet Jacen?s. ?[/i]No[i],? he insists. ?Jacen, I think ? I mean, I?m pretty sure ? that the man in black was[/i] me[i].?[/i]

-----
    [b]NIGHTMARE[/b]
    -----

The walls of the [i]Anakin Solo[/i] are too sterile and pristine; Jacen stumbles, snow-blind, his vision fading into memory and dream.

[i]She feathers her crest into a cascade of colors so that it mimics the bridge of multicolored debris in Yuuzhan-tar?s alien sky. ?Are you so sure this is a nightmare??

He can see his house from here, and it?s nothing but an archeological curiosity on this new-old world. ?It?s definitely not a pleasure cruise,? he pouts.

?But pleasure is hardly a qualified tutor,? Vergere points out. ?Pain is much more competent ? and she still has much to teach you.?[/i]

-----
    [b]TRUTH[/b]
    -----

Jacen?s fingers ruffle his hair and he stares into the mirror, scared of his burdens. He bears the weight of responsibility simply because no one else understands it.

His mother, his father, his sister, his uncle, his aunt ? they are all too weak to comprehend and too complacent to care. He alone has seen the truth, and he alone can restructure the galaxy block by block until order prevails. The Jedi preach that peace and democracy and the good inherent in each being will inevitably sort things out, but Jacen knows the truth.

Everything they tell him is a lie.
    [hr]
    Feedback is appreciated. [face_happy]

14. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    curled like a wisp of smoke in a cocoon of vibrant pain/crumples like paper, crisp black uniform crinkling [...] She feathers her crest /Jacen?s fingers ruffle his hair

Very nice use of alliteration. What I noticed first, though, was the parallels drawn between the beginnings of drabbles 1 and 2 and 4 and 5. Smoke, burnt paper, and the hair/crest thing. I'm assuming you did that on purpose, because it was pretty sweet.:cool:

Everything they tell him is a lie.

Great last line. Yay for irony.:D

You do a fantastic job of getting inside Jacen's head and showing his moral descent. I love how he sees his idealistic younger self in Ben. If profic explored Jacen's thinking half as well, JINO would be easier to take. Here, he's even...dare I say it...sympathetic.;)

15. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    I just had to check these out. I like them alot. I really liked Zekk and Jaina pre-YJK. You gave me a true sense of what their early adolesce must have been like and the contrast between what their freedoms really met.

I just read the new Jacen one. Interesting parallels with making decisions on who to kill and how Jacen went from the one who was afaid to the one who would kill. The dream with Anakin also conveyed the transformation...and of course the very last one with him thinking all his family tells him are lies. Beautiful!

=D= I'm glad I check these out!

16. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    Okay, so I have Exile. I should be reading it, right? No, because my muse suddenly decided that Week 13 had to be written right now, new LotF book or not. :p

-----

Emerald_Lady:

Very nice use of alliteration.

Thanks! I?m always afraid the fanfic style police are going to arrest me for overuse and abuse of alliteration. :p

What I noticed first, though, was the parallels drawn between the beginnings of drabbles 1 and 2 and 4 and 5. Smoke, burnt paper, and the hair/crest thing. I'm assuming you did that on purpose, because it was pretty sweet.

The hair/crest parallel was intentional, but I never thought of the smoke/burnt paper parallel. [face_blush] I love it when a reader notices something that I don?t. ;)

Great last line. Yay for irony.

Thanks. :D

You do a fantastic job of getting inside Jacen's head and showing his moral descent. I love how he sees his idealistic younger self in Ben. If profic explored Jacen's thinking half as well, JINO would be easier to take. Here, he's even...dare I say it...sympathetic.

Well, I was actually basing my portrayal of Darth Who on Karen Traviss?s excellent characterization in Bloodlines. [face_whistling] But to each her own. ;) I?m glad you found him sympathetic. :)

-----

iamobiwan1970:

I just had to check these out. I like them alot.

Thanks for taking the time to stop in! :)

I really liked Zekk and Jaina pre-YJK. You gave me a true sense of what their early adolesce must have been like and the contrast between what their freedoms really met.

I just read the new Jacen one. Interesting parallels with making decisions on who to kill and how Jacen went from the one who was afaid to the one who would kill. The dream with Anakin also conveyed the transformation...and of course the very last one with him thinking all his family tells him are lies. Beautiful!

[face_blush] I?m very glad you think so. Thanks for reading!

[i]Here?s LotF J/Z for Week 13.[/i]

-----
    [b]KISS[/b]
    -----

Beautiful in red, she slipped against him, all shimmer and silk under dim lights that made her skin glow supple and white and warm. Her small hand wrinkled his dark jacket at the shoulder and his hand came to rest against her slender waist as they spun mismatched onto the dance floor.

His was an empty touch ? a friend?s touch ? though the sensual shimmersilk of her gown whispered invitingly beneath his fingertips. Her lips, tilted in a deftly oblivious smile, shone the heated crimson of her dress. How much, he wondered, would she make him pay for just one kiss?

-----
    [b]HUG[/b]
    -----

[i]But I rather like the way you stand
    so tall, so tall;
    do you ever touch the sky?[/i]

The nursery rhyme flickered through her mind every time she slid her arms around his waist and pressed against him, insignificant in his shadow. Folded in his embrace, she knew how he felt when he trailed along behind her. Though physically unimposing, she towered over him in spirit, dominating his thoughts and heart and tying him to a need long denied.

When he crushed her close, his heartbeat unsteady against her ear, she knew the sky he reached for was her love.

-----
    [b]SMILE[/b]
    -----

In his own way, he dared her, teased her; when she flushed under his admiring gemstone eyes or watched a little too closely as he crossed the room, he felt their relationship slide from the ambiguous depths of friendship toward something like romantic attachment.

And one day, after long patient months, he realized that his efforts were taking root. For only his words could prompt her lips to twitch and lift in a certain way, like sunlight skittering through the curtains; unknowingly, she had grown a smile just for him, a smile that no one else could summon or see.

-----
    [b]FROWN[/b]
    -----

Hiding from him was out of the question; fragments and echoes of her dreams drifted into his mind an

17. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    Beautiful in red, she slipped against him, all shimmer and silk under dim lights that made her skin glow supple and white and warm.

More pretty alliteration.:D

Her small hand wrinkled his dark jacket at the shoulder and his hand came to rest against her slender waist as they spun mismatched onto the dance floor.

I like the picture this gives; they are very physically mismatched. But I keep envisioning Zekk in jackets now because of your stories...;)

His was an empty touch ? a friend?s touch ? though the sensual shimmersilk of her gown whispered invitingly beneath his fingertips.

This is very vivid imagery here.

insignificant in his shadow

What a poetic way of describing their height difference.:)

Though physically unimposing, she towered over him in spirit, dominating his thoughts and heart and tying him to a need long denied.

A long, long, loooong time.;)

When he crushed her close, his heartbeat unsteady against her ear, she knew the sky he reached for was her love.

*sniffles* It's so beautiful!:_|:_|:_|

unknowingly, she had grown a smile just for him, a smile that no one else could summon or see.

Awwww.[face_love] Such things do happen. Nice rhyming with unknowingly and see.

?If I tried to kill you, would you dream about me?? he snapped one morning.

Well, he did try, and she probably did, but that's beside the point.:p

She took his hand in hers. ?It?s good enough for me.?

Such a sweet ending. Once again, I am astonished by what you can pack into a hundred words.=D=

18. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Wow, j_o_e, these are absoloutley fabulous. I'm kicking myself for not reading sooner!

19. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    Emerald_Lady:

More pretty alliteration.

I like the picture this gives; they are very physically mismatched. But I keep envisioning Zekk in jackets now because of your stories...

Yes, well, I have sort of an obsession with jackets that seems to have manifested itself in my fanfic of late. :p

What a poetic way of describing their height difference.

Thank you. :)

A long, long, loooong time.

Too long, in my book. ;)

*sniffles* It's so beautiful!

*hands over tissues* Thanks!

Well, he did try, and she probably did, but that's beside the point.

Hehe, I wondered if someone would catch/remark on that. :p

Such a sweet ending. Once again, I am astonished by what you can pack into a hundred words.

Thanks. [face_blush]

-----

ZekksGoddess:

Wow, j_o_e, these are absoloutley fabulous. I'm kicking myself for not reading sooner!

No problem! I?m glad you stopped by. :D

[i]Week 14 features young Anakin Skywalker. Bet you didn?t see that coming! I didn?t, either. [face_tongue][/i]

-----
    [b]SUN[/b]
    -----

Dirty blonde hair and dirty white walls, thick pooling sweat on a puckered forehead, a coarse tunic protecting a young boy?s skin from the rude chafe of sand ? this is Anakin Skywalker?s life in the courtyard of a junk shop.

Tatooine?s twin suns shine unmercifully on the boy?s slight form, but he buries himself in his work with childish delight. He won?t be here for long; his dreams have told him as much. He wipes away the sheen of sweat on his brow, then uses his arm to shield his eyes.

Wistful and small, he stops to watch the sun.

-----
    [b]MOON[/b]
    -----

Anakin props his elbows against the windowsill and rests his chin in his hands. The night is far more welcoming than the day; it is quiet and peaceful rather than oppressive. His dreams were nightmares tonight, and he can still feel the heat of flames on his skin ?

[i]? as though the suns are crawling over his sleeves, under his tunic, into his blood until everything melts away![/i]

But the moon is silent and still, its light as cool as water, and the night breezes are desert-cold. Anakin can?t bring himself to worry. Sometimes a dream is just a dream.

-----
    [b]STARS[/b]
    -----

?How many are there?? Anakin asks, tilting his head to one side as he waits for an answer.

The spacer pauses in his examination of a communications module. ?Excuse me??

?I said, how many stars are there?? Anakin repeats, his voice extra slow and careful. ?Do they all have names? How many have you seen??

The man chuckles and turns his attention back to the junk lining the shelves of Watto?s small shop. ?Get to work.?

?I?m going to see them all,? Anakin mumbles, but in the light of the spacer?s derision, his certainty feels a lot like wishful thinking.

-----
    [b]CLOUDS[/b]
    -----

On this night, Shmi catches him at the window.

?There are clouds in your eyes, son,? she whispers, crouching down to his level. ?What worries you??

?Nothing,? he mumbles, but he won?t meet her beckoning eyes.

?Come now,? she admonishes, leaning back a little and giving him a knowing wink. ?Is that droid malfunctioning again??

Anakin shakes his head, and thoughts roll around inside ? [i]clouds of smoke in a curiously stale, sterile room; the pure, cold metal of droids and pain so deep that he can?t breathe[/i]. ?It?s nothing, Mom.?

She knows it isn?t, and so she pulls him close.

-----
    [b]PLANET[/b]
    -----

From space, Tatooine looks so [i]small[/i]; it seems as though Anakin can reach out and hold the planet in his hand. His mother is down there, homespun robes blowing in the humid wind, and he wonders if she is still watching the sky.

He thinks that maybe he?d like to see that sky one more time from Mos Espa. The suns look different up here; they?re not very majestic from his new vantage point.

He frowns, and a little more of his world falls ap

20. emeraldshadow

Oct 7, 2005
    It's so sad. You can just see the sweet little boy who will be Darth Vader but deosn't know it in these and you want to save him. Interesting choice of subject and good job expressing it.

21. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    I agree with emeraldshadow. He's so innocent and idealistic here. It contrasts what he could have been with the dark reality of what he actually becomes, and it's very poignant. :(

Nope, I didn't expect Anakin Skywalker, but that doesn't mean the drabbles aren't just as great as usual. :p

22. ZekksGoddess

Oct 2, 2004
    Very bittersweet. That poor, troubled, innocent little boy...and then comes Darth Vader. :(
    I really liked how you threw Shmi in, as well. I'm a big fan of their mother/son relationship.

Awesome job!=D=

23. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, what do you know? It?s another update! :D

-----

Marie:

It's so sad. You can just see the sweet little boy who will be Darth Vader but deosn't know it in these and you want to save him. Interesting choice of subject and good job expressing it.

Thanks! :) I?m not much for Anakin Skywalker in AotC and RotS, but he was okay in TPM. ;)

-----

Emerald_Lady:

It contrasts what he could have been with the dark reality of what he actually becomes, and it's very poignant.

That?s what I was aiming for. :)

Nope, I didn't expect Anakin Skywalker, but that doesn't mean the drabbles aren't just as great as usual.

Thanks! Sometimes I have no idea where my muse is coming from. :p

-----

ZekksGoddess:

Very bittersweet. That poor, troubled, innocent little boy...and then comes Darth Vader.

I know. :(

I really liked how you threw Shmi in, as well. I'm a big fan of their mother/son relationship.

Oh, me too. Shmi is an awesome character. :)

Awesome job!

Thanks!

[i]Week 15 focuses on the crew of the [/i]Ebon Hawk[i] during KotOR2. For those of you unfamiliar with the game, your character (the Exile) teams up with a group of wildly different characters in a noble quest. But even heroes get cabin fever. [face_tongue] Just so you know, Ny?are is my female Exile. [face_happy][/i]

-----
    [b]INDIFFERENT[/b]
    -----

?Wyrla eggs or sarlin pastries ? it makes little difference to me,? Kreia announced, her face wrinkling in a familiar frown. ?Neither breakfast choice appeals to me. You would have discovered as much had you bothered to think of someone other than yourself.?

?This isn?t a restaurant, woman,? Ny?are muttered, shoveling a forkful of wyrla eggs into her mouth.

?If you don?t like it, old lady, you can starve,? Mandalore grouched. ?That?ll be one less mouth to feed.?

Kreia sighed. ?I grow so tired of these worldly concerns and uncivilized exchanges. If you need me, I shall be in my quarters.?

-----
    [b]EXHAUSTED[/b]
    -----

?Atton, I want us in the air, [i]now[/i]!? Ny?are barked. ?Get us off this sithspawned planet before those mercenaries vape us!?

?That?s the plan, princess,? Atton responded, eyes tight and focused. ?Don?t get your Jedi panties in a bunch.?

Ny?are stumbled and grabbed the back of the copilot?s chair for support as the [i]Ebon Hawk[/i] shook into the sky. The adrenaline rush of battle was beginning to wear off; she wondered if her shakiness had more to do with exhaustion than with the dubious skill of Atton?s takeoff.

Atton spared her a glance. ?You okay??

?Just fly,? she gritted out.

-----
    [b]HOPEFUL[/b]
    -----

The only light in the [i]Ebon Hawk[/i] came from Mical?s study, and when Ny?are stepped inside she found him folding a load of tunics fresh from the ship?s drying unit.

?You should make Atton do the laundry for a change,? Ny?are teased.

?I have considered doing just that,? Mical said, ?but it would be an exercise in futility. He would inevitably wash Visas?s crimson robes with the whites, and we would all end up with matching pink underwear.?

Ny?are chuckled. ?I think,? she began, tone measured, ?that you just made a joke.? She winked. ?Maybe there?s hope for you yet.?

-----
    [b]RELAXED[/b]
    -----

?This is the life, huh?? Atton mused, slumping in the pilot?s seat. ?Living on a cramped garbage scow with a former Jedi and a cast of crazy misfits.? He took another swig of brandy.

Mira snatched the bottle from his hand. ?As much as I love the whole idea of bonding with you as you drink yourself into a stupor, you?re our pilot and I don?t want you any more addled than usual when we land.?

?Hey!? Atton protested, reaching for the bottle.

The bounty hunter held it just out of reach. ?Uh-uh, Atton. Find some other way to relax.?

-----
    [b]RESTLESS[/b]
    -----

Red photoreceptors met honey-brown eyes.

?Exclamation: Master, I believe your Iridonia

24. ZekksGoddess

Oct 2, 2004
    Well, I haven't played KotoR2, I don't even know the slightest bit about the storyline, but I enjoyed this weeks drabble. :)

?I have considered doing just that,? Mical said, ?but it would be an exercise in futility. He would inevitably wash Visas?s crimson robes with the whites, and we would all end up with matching pink underwear.?
    Ny?are chuckled. ?I think,? she began, tone measured, ?that you just made a joke.? She winked. ?Maybe there?s hope for you yet.?

^ This, was a particularly enjoyable moment.

25. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    ?That?s the plan, princess,? Atton responded, eyes tight and focused. ?Don?t get your Jedi panties in a bunch.?

?Query: May I kill him, Master??

I don't know anything about KotOR either, but these lines made me laugh. You did a great job showing their personalities; I felt as if I knew them. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.