Niagara, ON One last event

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by legoman, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legoman Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was recently trying to come up with some way to get the group up and running for one more event. I lost most of my motivation for this with Nick's passing, but after seeing the amazing amount of support last Saturday and realising that another event would have been what Nick would've wanted, I've put together a few ideas.

Looking at the success we had at the Episode 2 event, I think another raffle is the way to go. I have enough resources and free time to do most of the leg work to put this thing together, the only thing I need is bodies in costumes.

Here's the plan so far: Set up a table in The Pen, the Empire theaters, or the Niagara Square cinemas and raffle off baskets of donated goods and gift certificates from local businesses. I also plan to get a small photo printer and sell pictures of kids with their favourite Star Wars characters. We would do this raffle in the day(s) leading up to the release of the new Clone Wars movie.

What I need is people who are able to put on a costume and dance around in a mall for a few hours for a good cause :p

Reply to this message, post on the club's wall or the FanForce boards and let me know asap. If we have enough support, I'll begin contacting the mall/theaters and get the ball rolling on this thing.

We have on month until the release of Clone Wars. In that time, I'm sure we can put together one last event for Women's Place, for YJN, and for Nick.
  2. VaderJay Jedi Knight

star 1
    Im interested......anything on the go?
  3. assetic Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'll make my way from Toronto to help out for sure.
  4. YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada

star 4
    Andrew is heading up this event and doing very well so far. He has been seeking out members willing to help, and I believe he has enough offers to make a go of this.

He has contacted the Niagara Sq theater and the Pen Center theater regarding letting us in. From what I understand the Niagara Sq theater had some issues, but the Pen Center remembers us and is very open and willing to host us again. :)

Andrew has also contacted Gillians Place (formerly called Women's Place) and they are very happy that we are again going to be helping them out.

I've personal got a 2-3 totes of items to be either raffled off or given away at the theater.

5. DarkforceFighter Jedi Padawan

Greetings,

My name is Daniel. I've been to many events and seen YJN all over the place. I empathize with you in regards to your loss of a friend and leader. Grieving the loss of someone close to your heart is not easy and it takes time.

I am writing in reply to this thread in regards to the new Clone Wars movie being released in August. I would like to participate if I may. Although my costume is not authentic to one of the main characters in the star wars series...I designed it with a star wars flare....long hooded cloak, black body armor-a hybrid of sorts mixing many characters together- the black samurai armor of Vader;gadgets and gauntlets of a bounty hunter;the cloak of a jedi;weilding a saber and blaster. I've been a star wars fan all my life and the idea of helping others all the while celebrating the star wars universe and it's stories is something I would like to be a part of.

My email is darkforcefighterATgmailDOTcom ...I look forward to any replies here or by email. Thank you.

Daniel aka DarkforceFighter.
  6. YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada

star 4
    Hello Daniel

What events have you been to?

The member we lost was Nick. He was not the "leader" of the club, but he was a very valued member and a cornerstone of our group.

Our usual "membership" generally consist of meeting with myself and one or two other senior members. We have many younger members in the group and many of the parents appreciate our taking the time to meet with new members prior to their involvement with their kids.

If you are under the age of 18, we then request that your parents be notified of your desire to be involved with YJN. This is to make sure your parents know you are in safe hands.

Feel free to contact me with questions or concerns. Maybe we can set up a meeting.
  7. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Daniel!

Nice to see you posting on the forums here. Be sure to look for us on Facebook as well.

Several of us are also 501st/Rebel Legion, so if you need help or advice on costuming be sure to drop me a line.
  8. dreamweaver_YJN Jedi Master

star 4
    Andrew, what day will this event be? We would be interested, but we will be on holidays for a week in August. Please let us know.
  9. Java_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Gill-Gill & I should be able to attend and help out. Not sure her costume still fits...lol, but maybe she can use dad's. Just let us know times and dates please :) Btw ... Great idea!
  10. legoman Jedi Knight

star 3
    At the moment we've hit a bit of a snag in aquiring a licence to conduct the raffle. The theatre won't let us in without it. We should have it figured out by Monday. I will let everyone know the details of the event once we have the licence.
  11. legoman Jedi Knight

star 3
    Scratch the last comment. All we need to get the lottery licence is a list of prizes to be raffled. I would like to have this list done by Thursday so we can get the licence on Friday. If anyone has anything they wish to donate or knows someone that does, please contact me ASAP.

Once we have the licence, the theatre will be happy to host our raffle. At the moment the dates will be Aug. 13-15. We wll set up when the theatre opens around noon and stay til no later than 8 or 9. More details to come once we show our licence to the theatre and they can confirm the dates and times.
  12. assetic Jedi Knight

star 1
    Anything specific wanted for the raffle? I have a bunch of stuff I was holding on to for a YJN christmas party, but I've been collecting it all together for the past few years (forgot at the last one I was at).

But can we donate stuff other than star wars stuff? Or at least add it into a basket?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.