main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga One Lonely Visitor (Ep3)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Fruitcake, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Summary: After the loss of her husband, Padmé discovers a different life in the Coruscant underground.

Genre: General, angst, some humor.

Rating: Mild PG-13.

Timeframe: Ep3.

Characters: Padmé Amidala, originals, Darth Vader.

Disclaimer: I own absolutely nothing except my own characters. I make no money whatsoever on this piece of fan fiction, so keep your lawyer to yourself.
    ;)

Coruscant, in all its political glory, had places in its underground that not even the seediest citizens knew about. These places -- cantinas, alleys, and the like -- had a certain predetermination about them. This notorius stature kept the lesser of criminals away, until only the dangerous and the stupid remained. Padmé Amidala was neither.

The shawl she had selected carefully covered everything except her mouth, so that she was carefully concealed in the shadows. Very rarely did even a prostitute wander into those parts, let alone a beautiful former senator. If not for the protection of her concealment, she would certainly be dead by now.

She was, quite simply, there to hide herself from the more aristocratic areas of Coruscant. As the estranged wife of Anakin Skywalker, everyone would no doubt be looking for her, to collect the large bounty the Empire had placed on her head. She snorted lightly as the thought of the Empire crossed her mind. She had trusted Chancellor Palpatine, but then again, she had also trusted her husband.

"Trust no one." Who had told her that? She couldn't quite remember, for it was a very long time ago, but the words had become as much a part of her as her sorrow.

Sitting in an inconspicuous booth, she prayed to the many gods that she would not be seen or noticed by anyone except those who would help her. And she saw one of them at that moment.

The girl was young, not a day older than twenty, with long brown hair and a set of sharp green eyes. She was nothing spectacular, by any means, but not ugly in the slightest either. Despite her current location, she didn't seem in the least nervous; instead, a calm aura radiated off of her. Padmé would have gone over to her booth and spoken with her if not for the four people she sat with.

The first was about Padmé's age, and elegant in a most dangerous way. He had drawn, delicate features, and looked startlingly like the girl, what with the same piercing eyes -- only his were brown. The man next to him was absolutely nothing like them. He was tall, broad, with a shaved head and stubble nearly three days old, and obvious muscle clearly seen under his shirt. This particular person was much more threatening than the latter two. The third man was shorter, and nervous-looking, eyes darting about frantically. The fourth man was built like the second, but had dark skin, and a kinder expression -- though not by much. This group was, aside from Padmé, the only humans in the cantina.

Abruptly, one of the aliens across the room stood and left. The four men grinned at each other and followed, leaving only the girl at the booth. Padmé would have seized her chance, except that the girl seemed to have some kind of clairvoyance, and crossed the bar to sit across from Padmé.

"You're the senator," the girl stated simply.

Padmé frowned behind her hood. "And how would you determine this?"

The girl grinned. "Magic." She extended a hand. "Ara Camric."

Padmé hesitated, then took Ara's hand. "Pa -- Pagré. You run with a tight crowd, Miss Camric."

"Pagré, hmm?" the girl asked in a way that indicated she didn't believe Padmé in the slightest. "And yes, I do. They're my brother's friends."

"Your brother is the man in the green vest, correct?"

"Yes," she replied curtly. "So what are you doing here?"

"I needed to get away for a little while."

"No offense, ma'am, but people don't come down here just to 'get away.' They either do it because they're running from something or they're just plain stupid. I'm starting to think you're both." Ara leaned ba

2. sethnakht

sethnakht Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2002
    Fantastic! This is highly original, leaves a lot of questions to be asked (has she sent away Luke and Leia? why is she not on Alderaan? what the hell does she want from assassins? how come An--I mean Vader hasn't sensed her?), and promises to be a smashing, action-and-angst packed romp. I look forward to the next chapter.

sethnakht

3. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    Great fic I agree about the questions like why hasn't Obi Wan come to help Padme. I hope Ara helps Padme.

4. Darth_Fruitcake

Jan 18, 2001
    Thank you all for your comments! Satis bene, gratis (or, in the English translation, "Very good, thank you). ;)

Once upon another life, Padmé had sworn she would never become part of the world that so many others shunned, she one of them. Arrogance as a senator, believing her life was perfect and nothing evil could penetrate her little world, had blinded her to a completely different array of possibilities. But sometimes things happened that completely changed plans -- and destiny -- to the worse. Padmé's case was no exception. Despite the small, conceited part of herself that told her she was too good to be doing what she was doing, she returned to the Jiggling Juba Cantina the next evening, protective shawl securely in place.

The burly, threatening, bald-headed man was waiting for her, feet propped up on the table in a very casual manner. "Sit down, lady, make yourself comfortable. Drink?" His voice was deep, deeper than anything she had ever heard, with a constant amused undertone.

Padmé sat warily. "Water would be fine, thank you."

"Suit yourself." The man grinned broadly. "What can we do for you, miss?"

"Did Ara Camric send you here?"

"She did. Said you had something to ask of us."

"I know of all you have to offer, Mister..."

"Kuros. Zared Kuros."

"Yes, well, Mister Kuros, I did some research on your friend, Mr. Camric."

Zared's face took on a closed, almost angry, look. "Did you really."

"Yes," she continued firmly, though inside she was shaking. "It seems he, like his father, grandfather, great grandfather, and so on before him, is the head of an elite group of organized crime. Assassinations, specific loans, robberies, hired guards, drug dealings -- spice in particular -- are not out of reach for your... unique group, am I correct?"

He raied a brow. "You are."

"How do you know I won't go to the press with this?"

Zared threw back his head and laughed; a deep, booming thunder that made his voice seem feminine in comparison. "Because you aren't that stupid, lady. We'd have you dead before it reached the midnight holo-news." Here his voice grew quite serious. "Riordan Camric can sense betrayal long before it's ever put into action. It's a gift of his, really... extra-sensory perception. He can read people. I do know several who have gone through with the betrayal, and even lived, but they lost something very dear to them." His mouth twisted into a wicked smirk. "Wives... children... and certain... appendages. They're not happy people, I can tell you that. So it would be wise to hold your tongue."

Padmé drew a deep breath, trying very hard not to visualize what he was saying. "Mr. Kuros, there is no doubt in my mind that you are very efficient at doing your job, which is why I came to your group in the first place."

He chuckled. "So Ara was right. You are a politician."

"How do you people know this?"

"Magic."

"She gave me the same reply."

An almost affectionate look crossed his features. "That would be Ara.... So what do you want from us?"

Padmé took another deep breath. "Your protection, Mr. Kuros."

"Is that all? You dragged this whole thing out because you wanted our security?"

"This is a matter of life and death for two people, Mr. Kuros," Padmé said angrily. "My unborn child will thank you for it. The Empire will certainly hate you, but that's nothing new, now is it."

Zared grinned again. "You do your research well."

"You will be compensated very well for your services, so no worries, Mr. Kuros."

"Then by all means, we'll do the best we can. Come with me."

And with the feeling she had signed her fate over to total strangers -- which she had -- Padmé followed him out of the cantina and into the night.

5. sethnakht

Dec 14, 2002
    Oh, this is even more fascinating. So Padmé isn't with Obi-Wan or Bail, as neither of her children have been born . . . and it sounds like she's putting herself in the hands of Force Sensitives. Extremely interesting, Fruitcake.

I wonder a bit at her motive--Obi-Wan could give her similar protection. But then again, perhaps you are showing what a smarter woman than canon!Padme would do; by putting herself in line with many Force sensitive scum, she's apt to escape Vader's notice. Or not. Who knows what you've got boiling up there in your brilliant brain . . .

Eager to see more,

sethnakht

6. Darth_Fruitcake

Jan 18, 2001
    Thank you! And as to your speculations... you will just have to wait and see... ;)

The home of Riordan and Ara Camric was far classier than Padmé had expected. It was, of course, secluded and well-hidden amongst thousands of others, but it almost seemed... homey. Elegant, but as welcoming as her parents' house on Naboo.

Padmé had long since removed her hood on the way there. Zared Kuros was obviously a dangerous man, but he meant her no harm -- at least not for the moment -- so she decided to let her guard down for awhile... at least until they arrived. Aside from a brief comment about her long hair, the taxi ride was completely silent.

Zared pressed several buttons on a keypad, too fast for Padmé's eye to catch, and the door slid open with a quiet hiss, letting them enter the home. The first thing she noticed was Ara Camric sitting on a couch-seat, socked feet propped up lazily on the table in front of her. Next to her sat the nervous, fidgety man, and her brother and the black man sat on another couch-seat.

"So," Riordan Camric said with a grin, "the Senator arrives." Unlike Zared Kuros's voice, his was smooth, practiced, and silky. He extended his hand, much as Ara had done, and Padmé took it hesitantly. "Don't look so nervous, Senator, our home is your home... provided you can pay your portion of the rent..."

"Fifty-thousand credits, Mr. Camric," Padmé replied evenly. "For my protection for the duration of seven months until my child is born."

"We certainly haven't had an assignment like this in a long time, but I think we can manage." He winked, though with a certain air of unkindness. Padmé felt herself growing increasingly uncomfortable. "Zared has run you through your vow of silence, I presume?"

"Of course, Mr. Camric. My lips are sealed."

"It takes more than lips to give away a secret, Senator," Riordan said softly. "It would be a pity if you lost your fingers in a tragic... accident. Come, let me introduce you to my friends." He pointed to the fidgety man. "That is Knute, my mad scientist. He'll figure out just about anything concerning mathematics, politics, or science." He pointed toward the large black man. "This is Mendel, my tacticians officer. And you've already met Kuros -- the bodyguard -- and my little sister, Ara, who does everything and nothing. Call her the errand-girl."

Ara gave something that sounded suspiciously like a snort.

Padmé, for once in her life at a total loss for greeting people, raised her hand in a feeble wave.

"Now, Senator," Riordan continued, "Ara will show you to your room. Everything in this home is yours, except the other bedrooms -- obviously we have some sense of privacy here. As you are a paying customer, I won't ask you to do much, but there will be days when none of us are home and the place needs straightening -- that's where you come in. Just don't pry too deeply, and everything will be just fine..."

Then Padmé was fortunately led away.

7. sethnakht

Dec 14, 2002
    Oh, I'm sorry I missed this. It's very rare I check the boards.

Good post--lots of intrigue and interesting characters. I'm still holding tight to those speculations, waiting to see them answered . . . can't wait for more.

:)

sethnakht

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.