main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Man Can Make a Difference: Knight Rider

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 28, 2007.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    So... I've never watched the show despite being an absolute KITT looney when I was a kid.

From what I've read here and seen in commercials... it looks to me like they took Knight Rider and gave KITT a healthy dose of Viper.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not too far off the mark, actually. They just lost the Batman-like "one man's secret" aspect of Viper.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pretty good resolution to the episode, though the plane thing seemed a bit rushed at the end.

Also, in next week's episode- it sounds like they got Cullen to reprise KARR! "KITT.MUST. DIE!"

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, here we are- the big episode...

...and it was ok. I dunno. I liked where they were going with it. It was great having Cullen back to voice KARR, and he initially mirrored the original KARR's original personality (given that Cullen voiced him then, it makes sense). I just think the actual showdown was a bit anti-climactic. The added "neediness" of KARR's motivations sort of took away from his dangerous nature. He was fine in the warehouse- very threatening as he transformed back into the car mode after handeling Torres.

And I think that's what it came down to- KARR was more threatening in car mode than botmode. There should have been more car in the duel, I think. That said, there was some cool bits in the showdown- and getting to see them turboboost through KARR (again ;) )in a continuous shot was kinda neat.

I dunno, I just wish we had more time with KARR as a threatening entity and not just an evil robot. Maybe if the show lasts another season we'll see a followup that can give his character more screentime somehow.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Two episodes into the reboot and the series has improved quite a bit- very good episode, IMO.

Also, it seems the KITT/KARR battle was shortened due to budget cuts on the show- but the FX team has the full pre-viz sequence up on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxuk-GD18Rc

6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Ugh, I actually enjoyed the secretive black ops national defense storyline to this good samaritan stuff. The New Knight Rider has officially lost me as a viewer.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    DAH! They wasted the perfect opportunity to throw in a trans am cameo!

However, KITT's "I am simply making you aware that i do not need to be told what to do all the time." and Billy's "Mike, did I just hear KITT smacking you around?" "Naw, it just sounded like KITT was making you his bitch." were full of win. [face_laugh]

"How did you get here before us?!"
    "I have a really fast car."

They've really done a good job evolving KITT'S personality.

Though I have to say- the episode previews for this show are frelling horrific. Seriously, for a show on the edge of cancellation that recently went through a (successful) retooling, you'd think they do a better job conveying it to audiences.

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I was thinking the same thing! In fact, I came here just now only to say that :p

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Watched the last episode- and though I didn't care for the inclusion of the super-serum idea, it still ended up being a good episode- KITT was kinda badass asking where Mike was, ha. The ending setup of the new FLAG while respecting the achievements of the original FLAG missions was a perfect quiet touch of an ending. "Together, we can make a difference."

A proper sentiment to end the show on if it doesn't get picked up for a second season.

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    oh, I missed that it was the Season Finale... that explains the strangely-sappy cliché-ending. Okay then. Felt random without knowing it might be the end.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Rising this thread from the dead, since there's no way of knowing if this film will be a vague continuation (like the 08 series) or total reboot yet...

Knight Rider Script Gets Retooled

The Weinstein Company has hired "Wild Hogs" and "Arrested Development" scribe Brad Copeland to write a new draft of the script for the "Knight Rider" movie.

Based on the popular 1980s TV series, the project has been in development for some time. Copeland's hiring is to reconfigure the project as a big-budget and action-oriented film in the hopes of generating a potential "Fast and Furious" style franchise cash cow.

Copeland's writing history in comedy though indicates the potential film will also have a humorous bent. "Knight Rider" was previously rebooted as a short-lived TV series on NBC in 2008.

Hopefully those credits don't indicate a "21 Jump Street"-style comedic take on the material- it would lend itself much better to a Fast & Furious-style tone.

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah, i guess in his own way he did make a difference... he died this month you know.

i didnt know they were making a movie about him but if they did there's no way they'd have the balls to make it a comedy. that would be awesome though

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    oh i thought this was about the night stalker. my bad

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  14. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    One man and his multi-billion-dollar super-spy talking robo-car can make a difference.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  15. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    They're trying for a Fast and Furious type of franchise? Does this mean we can expect KITT to be doing insane, over the top stunts in the movie? :p

PS: I've only watched the first two movies so I'm only going off the trailers I've seen. One day I'll get around to watching the others.

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

mostly just the car really

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    One man and his multi-billion-dollar super-spy talking robo-car and a guy who pushes its buttons but in no way designed or created the car can make a difference.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, to be fair, the end of the 2008 series tried to update the motto to "Together, we can make a difference.", but no one remembers that show fondly enough for that to overtake the familiarity of the original's motto.

[​IMG]
    Yes, because that would be completely absurd and out of place in a Knight Rider story.​

Souderwan and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Never watched the reboot/remake series and nothing in the original series seemed too far over the top IMO. In the end I won't care too much either way.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Once you've had a car jump over- and through - every type of vehicle imagineable, plus walls, across rooftops, through skyscrapers, through burning circus hoops as well as burst forth from the Earth itself, by comparison pretty much anything done in the F&F is hardly over the top (if anything, it's a natural extension).

Heck, if they had a massive budget at their disposal, you don't think any of the KR shows wouldn't have already done most of those stunts by now? ;)

21. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    That's exactly what went through my mind as I read that. The 21 Jump Street movie worked surprisingly well with that formula, but I don't see it being a good fit for Knight Rider (Unless you bring back Hasselhoff and go meta with it in a Galaxy Quest style plot).

Ripping-off going with a Fast and the Furious approach is a better way to go IMO. Heck, maybe try to get Justin Lin to direct, Paul Walker to play Michael Knight and Vin Desiel to voice KARR. Oh, and cast Gal Gadot just 'cuz [face_love] .

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    *sighs* Everybody forgets the equally short - lived Team Knight Rider series.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With good reason. ;)

(though the broad concept of multiple FLAG agents makes for a more natural progression from the initial "one man" approach than repeating the single car approach)

Though I wouldn't want KARR in the first film (beyond hints of a prototype (if reboot) / his survival (if continuation)) I'm hoping they can deliver the ultimate super car duel that the franchise holds the potential to deliver.

Die Another Day still holds the crown, but KITT/KARR should take it.

(And, what the heck, kill off a new KIFT to up the stakes ;) )

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66184]Chriss[/url] Pratt and Danny McBride rumored to be headlining movie

Ugh. It doesn't say what roles they're playing but...I like McBride. I do. But he's an awful choice for either main role. Pratt could work as either one, though. Let Danny be the ******* mechanic working on KITT for FLAG. That could work. Him bickering with the car would be hilarious (and while the driver and car bickering is part of the franchise's humor- neither KITT nor Knight are *******s).

Of course, I'd rather it not be a comedy in the first place...

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah... I read this an threw up a little in my mouth.