main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL ONE MAN STAR WARS TRILOGY

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by chewbacca1138, May 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS!!! I HAVE NEVER LAUGHED SO HARD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The show was the best ever! Brandon and I almost wet our pants laughing so hard....it was the most amazing thing ever.

One man doing all of the effects that ILM took forever to accomplish. AND no unnecessary crap that George added! Its incredible!!!

Two words: "I forgot..."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you guys gotta see it somehow....omg I'm dying just thinking about it!

2. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    Stefanie is right. I would **highly** recommend that anyone having the chance to see it, do so tomorrow; I think that is the final day. It was both awe-inspiring in terms of sheer quality and absolutely hilarious. One man doing it all. Three films in one hour. There is no music provided by CD or anything, no sound effects provided by machine, but, instead, it is all, every last bit, done by the performer (I wish I could remember his name, but I am at a loss).

There was not a dry eye in the house. The amount of laughter is worth the price of admission. He even got a standing ovation at the end of it.

It really is pure genius and should not only be seen by Star Wars fans, but by fans of stand up performances.

Brandon

3. Allie Fox

Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US star 3

Jan 13, 2000
    Is there a cd of the performance available? I'm sorry I missed it but it's a little too far to drive (six hours).

4. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Yes, I suppose six hours is just a tad too far to drive for a one hour performance. =)

To answer your question: no, there is no CD available. To be fair and to further explain, it would actually be pointless and defeat the purpose of the show. At the very *least* a video would have to be available. The guy's performance, mannerisms, and everything else are needed just as much as his voice. It's one of those rare things, even rarer when you consider it is Star Wars related, where you simply *have* to see it in person to fully grasp it.

If it ever comes around here again, I'll be there probably more than just once. If he ever makes his way to your area, all I can say is do what you need to do in order to attend.

It's almost sad, but Stefanie is right when she said that it was better than Menace and Clones. I really wish I had the guy's name because he deserves more credit than I can give him here.

I just wish more people here had seen it besides the two of us... hell, *that* would have made a great "outing" for a group.

Brandon

5. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I was fortunate enough to see it as well. I'd planned all week to go (it was one of two Star Wars shows at the Fringe. The other was "A Long Time Ago...An Eighties Review." The timing didn't work out so I missed it, and very nearly missed this one. My friend and I were late arriving Sunday night but were fortunate that the start time had been pushed back (always in motion is the Fringe schedule).

Though we were the only two people decked out in Star Wars shirts, the crowd was very enthusiastic, and almost every seat in the small theater was filled. Not a bad way to spend the 26th and 20th Anniversaries of Eps 4 and 6, respectively.

His name is Charlie Ross. The Sentinal had a brief review of his show that's worth reading. I agree with you two that he did a really good job. He made it funny, does great mimework, and is a fantastic editor. He left out plenty of great lines and small scenes to keep the flow going and fit his format. It worked very well. My favorite memory at the moment: everytime an Imperial Officer takes an intimidating order from Lord Vader, Ross wordlessly conveys to the audience that the officer loses bladder control. I'll never watch those scenes in the movies the same again.

We're a lucky few who saw the show, but the good news is that this is the beginning of his tour. He said that he was continuing on to venues throughout Canada, Australia, and parts beyond. -Campbell

6. LordGoldenArrow

LordGoldenArrow Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    Sabaac,

You weren't the only two wearing SW shirts! I was there on the far left side (as you were facing the stage) wearing a 501st FL garrison shirt and my companion was wearing a Rebel Wear SW T-Shirt. We were there on time...I didn't see ya walk in.

It was a great show though! I loved the Ackbar impression the best!

Art

7. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Good to hear, guess I was just judging from the crowd I saw leaving. I was far into the theater (the far right looking at the stage) and got a minor laugh when I accidentally stumbled onto the stage. The lights were low and the stage was only about 6 inches above the walkway.

Ackbar was great, Jabba was too, and in general the guy did some great inflections with his voice that only people that have seen the films so many times would pick up on. Good stuff.

So, Pikaroth, this is good news. Sounds like more of us got out to see it than we thought.

8. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I'm glad that two more people here were able to attend. To be honest, had I even had to go alone and been the *only* one here to see it, I would have been happy, but it was nice to attend it with Stefanie (which would be Chewbacca1138) and knowing we both saw it, even better. Now that two more here have seen it, well, even better.

It really is one of those odd things in that while I know hundreds of people saw the performance, it seems to "mean" more when people here saw it; so, four of us is not too shabby. =)

If he ever makes his way here again, I hope someone posts the schedule or something. Had I known about it in advance, I would have posted something here, but it came upon us pretty quick.

I suppose we should get our Orlando Fringe Festival schedule early next year.

Oh, and yes, the two of us *loved* the Ackbar performance. The audience was, literally, in tears. I'm glad you mentioned the urination of the Imperial officers, but I do feel that Luke's, uhm... "response" to Leia's kisses and such was even better. Then there was Leia strangling Jabba and how he was going between the two of them.

Anyway, I could go on forever, but it *was* great, and I'm exceedingly glad that the two of you saw it as well.

Like I said, if he ever comes back again, it would be almost a perfect event to have a meeting at. Well, meeting before/after and dinner and stuff and then all go there.

Knowing how things are, though, he'll probably vanish and never make his way back to poor 'ol Orlando. =)

Brandon

9. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    He mentioned something at the end of Sunday's performance about going to Canada and Australia, I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm not sure if he'll be back to Orlando any time soon.

I thoroughly enjoyed his performance. hee hee, the Y-wings in the Battle of Yavin were cool, as well as the AT-STs getting hit by the Ewoks!

And if anyone ever has the chance to see the SW Trilogy in 30 Minutes, I'd highly recommend that. I honestly would drive six hours to see that again (basically, if it ever shows somewhere from Atlanta on down, I'm going).

-Katie
    Thumper

10. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Hard to believe that this thread is not even two months old yet. It feels like a lifetime ago.

Anyway, I post here again because I actually found some links in regards to it. Those that did not see it, might find some worth reading, and those of us that did see it, well, it brings back memories and is probably one of the best fan things ever.

http://www.tjdawe.com/works/star/index.php

http://www.tjdawe.com/works/star/torontostar.php

http://www.theatrebc.org/SIZ/StarWars.htm

http://www.eye.net/fringe/02/display.asp?show=73

Anyway, there are more, but after coming across one by accident, I figured that it would be good to tell everyone here.

Again, if he ever comes back around this area or you have a chance to see it, do not hesitate to do so.

Brandon

11. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    He is great, isn't he? :) (<--- West Coast pride smiley)

Living in Victoria BC, we got the chance to see the premiere of the show, and he's doing it again for our Fringe Festival, so our club will be going again, as individuals and together to see the show. For $8 (CA) you can't really go wrong. :)

Drop by our international bar and grille sometime, and tell us your fave parts! First round is on the comm officer. :)

*Derisa*

12. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I am actually amazed that I missed the most recent post here. Odd. I hope the performance at your festival was a good one, and it is very neat that you got to see the premier for his performance. I forgot how much it was to see him here, but like I said before, I would have paid a lot more for it, and I would do so again. His performance is really superior to most other "fan stuff" out there. It blows away a vast majority of the fan films, fan fiction, and, hell, even the "official" Star Wars stuff. I'd watch him perform all three films again rather than read more tripe by Zahn, for example. =)

Brandon

13. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    That's right! Bringing back a thread from the dead! Anyway, for those that missed it, this was on the main TheForce.Net site:

----------------------------------------------

One Man Star Wars Show Still Running
    Mon, Jan 26, 04 09:21:28 AM EST

The Whistler Question website has a new article on the one man Star Wars act from their area. Here's a clip:
    As if suffering from bouts of schizophrenia, Ross transforms himself from man to droid, not only relaying the star story, but also his slant on it.
    ?I try to do my best to make people reme mber it and what my own view of it is,? he said. ?It?s not worship or disdain; more like a bit of both.?

The show has toured across Canada, from Victoria to Halifax, with performances also in Orlando, Chicago, Iowa and future showings in L.A. and Texas.

Vancouver?s Georgia Straight praised Ross as a ?miracle of energetic precision and wit.? Critics have lauded Ross for his light-speed pace that often goes into overdrive with the amount of energy he musters on the stage.

?People definitely don?t leave saying, ?That guy didn?t put out enough energy for the ticket price,?? he said, cautioning that those in front-row find being there a bit like experiencing Sea World with his spraying sweat.

----------------------------------------------

Brandon

14. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    Thank you for the article recap. So, is he coming to Orlando or anywhere near here again that you are aware of?
    The calendar on the links only shows TX and then Canada. Anyone up for a road trip?

Melanie

15. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    I'll go to Texas! I used to live there so if it shows in the Dallas area I'll be the guide.

16. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Hopefully he will return to the FRINGE Festival here in Orlando this May.

17. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    If he does, maybe we can have a group outing?

L8r

18. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Sounds like a plan!

19. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Maybe I'm reading way too much in to this but I just went to the site Brandon posted and it listed all the places he had toured in 2003 and then says (& I quote) "This tour will be continuing to Orlando, Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Victoria and Vancouver."

See the first city listed??? Not January, February or March according to the calendar but perhaps as Campbell mentioned in another posting above he might make it down to the May fringe? One can dare hope & dream, right?

Melanie

20. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    Im confused.....what is everyone taling about?

Ia

21. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    This is a man who does a show. If you read earlier in the posts I think Campbell & Brandon describe it a little. There's also a link that I checked out. I do hope he comes back.

Melanie

22. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    And, out of nowhere, an update!

Found, of course, on TheForce.net's main page.

One Man Star Wars at Celebration 3?
    Mon, Apr 26, 04 04:01:01 PM EDT

bulent files this SW report:
    I work in a comic shop and the producer of the "One man star wars trilogy" walked in asking if we would post a flyer advertising the show. The creator is performing live in vancouver again and will be premiering his new play after OMSWT, "ONE MAN LORD OF THE RINGS".
    The producer also told me that they had a great sold out shows in Chicago, at a Science Fiction convention in Boston, and has been contacted, but not officialized yet, by Lucasfilm for him to perform at Celebration 3.

Brandon

23. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Well timed, because our man Charles Ross is returning to Orlando's Fringe Festival with the new LotR production. I really enjoyed the Star Wars version, but I'm not certain I'll try to go to this one. Fortunately, there are many shows, so anyone who goes early, please let us know what you think. Unfortunately, this appears to be the closest thing to Star Wars in the Fringe this year. Last year had 3 or 4 Star Wars themed choices.

here's the rundown:

Show Name: One-Man Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Show Genres: Comedy, Performance Art, Other
    Performing Company: Chicken for Supper Productions
    Venue Name: The Margeson Theatre
    Venue Color: orange
    Venue Address: Orlando UCF Shakespeare Festival, 812 Rollins Street
    Length: 60 minutes
    Price: $10.00
    Discounts: $1 off for Students, Seniors, and Military
    Rating: General Audiences
    Warning: None
    Description: Charles "One Man Star Wars" Ross, takes you on a one hour rocket ride through middle earth. A thousand perils, nine companions, three masterworks. One Man to do it all.

Show Dates and Times:
    Friday, May 21- 7:40 p.m.
    Saturday, May 22- 7:15 p.m.
    Sunday, May 23- 7:30 p.m.
    Monday, May 24 7:55 p.m.
    Tuesday, May 25- 11:30 p.m.
    Thursday, May 27- 11:35 p.m.
    Friday, May 28- 11:30 p.m.

24. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Awesome, awesome, awesome. If this is even *half* as good as his Star Wars Trilogy, it should be laugh-out-loud funny. Going for sure...

Brandon

25. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    I might have to check this out also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.