1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (11th-13th November), Adelaide (18th-20th June)

Oz Comic Con: Sydney (10th-11th September), Brisbane (17th-18th September)

FF:NZ One Month, One Saga. Woo Hoo!!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chansplace Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Transformers is my favourite cartoon. (the original series) I always wondered how they animated their transformation sequences.
  2. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Buzz, I too am a cartoon-a-holic, but I do lean more to the disney full-length movies than the cartoon tv series.

However, I was recently enjoying the Men in Black cartoon. That was great!

Does anyone remember Gargoyles? I wish they would repeat that. Growing up, my favourite cartoon was Pound Puppies. And of course, who could forget the legendary Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Quick, someone start a cartoon appreciation thread! :D

At one stage, I was thinking about doing an Animation course after I finish my Science degree. The trouble is, you have to be pretty good to get into those courses - bit of a catch 22 situation. If you want to improve your drawing skills, I would recommend the Draw 50... book series. You can find them in most libraries and bookstores. There's even one with Darth Vader and Yoda in it.

3. SWNZ Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Sorry Buzz, I like cartoons too but I draw the line at Sabrina and Dragon ball zzzz.

I like the older cartoons, Tom and Jerry, Roadrunner, Samuri pizza cats the good ol' stuff.
  4. Chansplace Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Dont forget the Gummi bears! TMNT's was one of my favourites too. TURTLE POWER!!

Just finished my Childrens Story as part of my Illustration Assignment, its all about a dragon called Spike. it was fun to do but we had to use Freehand to do the pictures, and anyone that has used Freehand before will know its time consuming.
  5. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    samuri pizza cats was great, i loved that....

it takes a pretty bad cartoon not to get me addicted to it, so i try to avoid getting caught up in the,, i know my weaknesses......anyone ever see that Gilligans' Planet one? story was they got off the island, by turning the ship into a spaceship and now they are on some alien planet, it was on about 2-3years ago about 2am in the morning, really random IMO
  6. Chansplace Jedi Padawan

star 4
  7. ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan

star 4
    1. Transformers (all of it even the jap stuff)
    2. Dragonball Z
    3. Gundam Wing
    4. Reboot
    5. Big Guy & Rusty The Boy Robot

Dragonball origanal started in Japan in the 80s so dont go calling it new or crap.
  8. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Don't forget the "Ewoks" and "Droids" cartoons. :)

I tend to like the old stuff better than the ones we see now. It's hard to beat the old favorites like "The Jetsons" and "Yogi Bear". Some of the more recent Disney shows are very good too - "Darwing Duck", "Rescue Rangers", "Duck Tales", "Talespin" and "Goof Troop".

There's not much that really interests me on TV at the moment. Probably "Big Guy and Rusty" and "Reboot" repeats, although Reboot is on a little too early for my house.

"Xyber 9" would have been better if they didn't try and mix 3D computer graphics and traditional animation - it doesn't work seeing block-coloured characters riding around in fully rendered 3D vehicles.

"The Weekenders" isn't TOO bad (the changing theme for the Pizza Shop in each episode is great), but too much of a 'message for youngsters' type of story.

"The Zeta Project" looks like it might be worth watching - it's a spin-off from the "Batman Beyond" cartoon. I think it only started last week.

All together now: E ... E ... E ... E ... Ewoks! :D
  9. RogueJedi Jedi Youngling

I totally agree..
    sept im bored to tears with Xyber 9...

Z.E.T.A Project is good, nice plot line

Jackie Chan is pritty cool, but i couldnt sit through the repeat of it this morning

Dragon Ball Z is Great.... I dont know why but im hooked on it

Ive allways liked Tailspin.. Oh e aye Tailspin Oh e oh Tailspin... oh e aye, oh e aye, oh e oh, oh e oh,

I remember being obsessed with Transformers as a kid.. *and envying all the rich kids with the really cool toys, tho i had my fair share* Luved the music 4 sum reason...

Ewoks was good.. could have had more gust apperances etc...

Long Live Cartoons!!!!!

E E E E EEEEEEWOKS!!!

10. ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan

star 4
    If u thought the english transformer music was cool u goto here the jap music.

The cg action man series was cool to.
  11. SWNZ Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Duck tales woo ooh! Another one of my favourites.
  12. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    I loved Duck Tales, then one day someone asked me how come Uncle Scrooge had all that money, when there were people starving to death in the world. I was actually upset for a while (I was a kid!)

My favourite episode was the one where they go to an island where no one has ever heard of money.
  13. Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Today I saw an ad for the movies on the back of a bus here in Christchurch. Had a pic of an X-wing (it looked a little weird to me, I didn't have much time to look, but it almost looked like it was a pic of a toy) with the movie logos beneath.

That really surprises me. They usually don't advertise movies on TV to this extent.
  14. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    ?[face_plain] that is weird. On Auckland buses, they do advertise TV shows quite a bit on buses, especially TV3.
  15. Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Yeah, I see ads for TV shows all the time. Currently a lot of buses have Shortland Street ads plastered over them. But I've never seen a movie one...

I wouldn't have thought TV3 would advertise them this much. They must have a SW fan in their marketing department ;)
  16. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan

star 4

On Sunday (I think) I saw a shortened version of the long advert. If you look at the order of the movie logos at the end you can see that TPM is very likely to be the last movie to be shown.

I notice a couple of people above have said September, but the advert never says. Is that just an educated guess or wishful thinking??

I would have thought that perhaps October (late?) would have been better - at least from the film distributors point of view. They could have played ANH, ESB, RotJ and TPM, quickly followed by the release of the Episode II trailer in November.

But I'm not going to complain if they show them earlier. :D
  17. farmboynz Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I think Septmeber is the best choice
    Marketing wise if they drag it out until October we with our limited attention span will be wanting something new
    something to do with gen x, y ,z what ever we are up too?? being exposed to such a wide range of media we want everything now

4 week build up is a good length
    other wise they will only get the true die hard SW fan watching

Also they have been doing a good job of expanding the advert lengths over the last few weeks, they don't have any more surprises to tell us as they have already revealed that ESP 1 is playing
    so me thinks septmeber it is (hoping to)

18. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan

star 4

Of course the Episode I DVD is being released mid-October, so maybe that's part of the reason.
  19. BEV1138 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    If you went to high school in the 80's you're a Gen Xer.

Otherwise you're part of Generation Me. I'm not kidding, thats what they're calling us. Bastards. But officially we're up to Y.
  20. SWNZ Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I saw the ad again today. Makes me smile and chuckle a lil'
  21. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    i really don't identify to gen x or generation me either, anyway, do those labels really apply that well to nz?
  22. Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Got to ride in an X-Wing bus yesterday :D
  23. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    you should get a photo, you could make front page tfn
  24. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, we have a listener subscription, so I got the tv listings for the first week of
    September today. And Star Wars isn't showing! Don't tell me I've got to continue my Star Wars fast for a whole 'nother month.
  25. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well, there's actually five Saturdays and five Sundays in September. So it's possible that the Star Wars saga is playing after the first week (Saturday 1st - Friday 7th).

TV3 would be stupid to play them on Saturdays since they'd be competing with their own Sci-fi Saturday shows on TV4.

So that would leave Sundays, 9th, 16th, 23rd, and 30th September, probably in the 8:30pm timeslot.

OR ... maybe their "month" isn't a calendar month at all, but just the four weeks leading up to the release of the Episode I DVD.

I just found a "Discussion" area on TV3's website that includes a Star Wars section. I posted a message with a link to here and SWNZ, so we may get a few "newbies" appearing - be kind. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.