main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ One Month, One Saga. Woo Hoo!!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Ah, I hope so. It seems like overkill, advertising it in August if it isn't being shown till October.

2. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    OK, who else saw it?
    a new ad showing clips from all 4 episodes. also had running commentary, saying the first will screen in september. most probably near the end, so they will run through October.

this is getting exciting!!

3. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    I didn't see it but WOO HOO!!!
    can't wait

4. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Yep.

I've just seen an advert (half-way through Home Improvement) that said "Starts September".

YIPPEEE!!!!! :D

5. Darth Sebious

Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 21, 2000
    It is possible they might screen them on Fridays, since they already screen movies then. I hope not, because I'd like the biggest possible audience for them, and that's 8:30pm on Sunday.

6. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    YES!!!!! We have lift-off!! :D

We just got our copy of the new TV Guide (with Tomb Raider on the front), and:

Star Wars: A New Hope (Special Edition)
    TV3 7:30pm - 10:10pm Sunday, 9 September
    Received 5 out of 5 stars by the TV Guide Movie Reviewer, which equals "Don't miss it" - and I won't!

A slightly late finish for youngsters, but not as bad as it could have been.

There's also a documentary the day before:

From Star Wars to Star Wars: The Story of ILM
    TV3 7:30pm - 8:30pm Saturday, 8 September
    "A documentary exploring the history of Industrial Light & Magic, the George Lucas-owned company that provided most of the spectacular special effects for some of the biggest movies of recent decades."

BUT, underneath it also says "This programme could be replaced by live coverage of the second quarter-final in the NRL rugby league play-offs." :( Let's hope they LOSE soon!

There's also a brief article by the TV Guide Movie Reviewer on page 90, and another article on pages 14 and 15 (NOT page 12 as the Movie Reviewer's article says).

The Movie Reviewer says the others "will also screen consecutive weekends, to be followed by the 1999 prequel The Phantom Menace. (If anyone wants me to re-type one/both articles here, let me know.)

So that means:
    • Star Wars: A New Hope
      Sunday, 9 September

• Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
      Sunday, 16 September

• Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
      Sunday, 23 September

• Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
      Sunday, 30 September

YIPPEEE!!!! :D :D :D

7. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    AND ... :D

I just paid a visit to the TV3 website and they're running a competition each week. (Although technically, the answer to the first question isn't listed because they spelt it wrong!)

BUT ... if anyone here wins anything, they have to share the prize with me. ;)

8. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Wow awesome!!!!

I'll go and get our new listener, and see what it says in there.

9. Darth Sebious

Apr 21, 2000
    Just saw an ad which had the "Begins September 9th" at the end. And as for ANH's time...

7:30pm - 10:10pm

That's 2hrs 40mins. Much longer than ANH actually is. Strange.

And I just posted the dates on TFN, crediting Buzz :)

10. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    Ad breaks. :mad:

Even on days/times when there's supposedly no advertising, you still get the TV channel pushing their own shows - otherwise they'd run out of programmes about four hours early.

11. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Okay. here's what the listener had to say

There's a picture of Luke, Leia and Han in the death star corridor, with the caption 'Great hair, great film'.

Here's their review:

Star Wars
    TV3, 7.30pm
    Yup, it's the souped-up, lowered and remastered version, with digital sound, mag wheels and better colouring-in. which means four minutes of exra footage/noodling from director George Lucas, including Han Solo stepping on the tail of Jabba the Hutt. After all these years ... it's still marvellous - all that new age mumbo jumbo about using the Force, Princess Leia's bagel hairdo, the grubby cardboard sets, damn sexy Harrison Ford, the dizzying scene when the fleet of X-Wing fighters plunge into a vertiginous Death Star trench. To get you in the mood, here is Obi-Wan Kenobi, holding a light saber and talking rubbish to Luke Skywalker: "An elegant weapon, for a more civilised age. For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old republic - before the dark times. Before the Empire."

It also said the Star Wars to Star Wars documentary is hosted by Samuel L. Jackson. Typical of him :)

Under the listings it has:
    Star Wars: A New Hope
    In a galaxy far, far away things aren't going so well. A ruthless militaristic regime known as The Empire has sent out battleships to crush the last vestiges of rebellion. On a dusty, irrelevant planet, a callow youth named Luke Skywalker finds a droid bearing a note from rebel leader Princess Leia. Skywalker sets out on a journey that will take him first to Leia, and later to an encounter with The Empire's sinister enforcer, Darth Vader.

I see they cut the news to half an hour, to screen 20/20 early, just to accomodate it. Go TV3!

12. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    Woo Hoo
    can't wait

Bring it on and no phone calls on Sunday night

i saw the x wing bus on friday

13. Darth Sebious

Apr 21, 2000
    There was just a very cool ad on after That 70's Show. All Vader (his helmet going on in ESB, walking down the shuttle ramp in ROTJ, and gesturing to Luke in the Father scene) with his breathing over the whole thing. Logo in the corner "The Saga Begins in Six Days".

14. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Yeah I just saw that!

Also I was walking home from work today and went past a bus stop that had advertising for the saga and in the middle of the side panel was a picture of a lightsabre and a big green light extending to the top of the bus stop. Best looking sabre bus stop I have ever seen.

15. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Yeah, I also saw the ad. Vader is so cool. All he needs to do is stand around and breathe and everyone is freaked out.

A saber busstop? You've got to get a photo . . .

16. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    I think I saw one of those, actually I just saw a green glowing light, and thought 'why is that bus stop glowing?' and didnt think much else of it. I should have taken a closer look.

I have seen the X-wing on the back of the bus though, thats pretty cool.

17. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Yeah Cen, that geen light was a lightsabre. It probably won't make a great pic cause it would be hard to tell what it is, you need to be close up.

18. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    I just half saw another Star Wars Saga advert in the middle of the repeat of (repeat of repeat of repeat of ...) the Home Improvement episode.

This very short advert said something along the lines of "You have to watch the Star Wars Saga to be in to win with Raro."

Obviously they're running some sort of competition, but they didn't say anything about what the prizes/details are yet.

I guess we're on the hunt for these details now that we know when the movies are showing. :)

Good grief, I just saw another one advertising Star Wars: A New Hope on Sunday.

TV3 are really getting into the saga!

19. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    [anticipation] Only 5 days to go !![/anticipation]

20. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    whaen it eas first advertised it was in widesceen now its not bummer......Don't know why that bothers me I own them all in widescreen special edition.

21. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Movies on TV quite often start in widescreen mode, but after the opening they get stretched to fill the screen - so I'd guess that they won't be shown in widescreen format.

BUT, having said that, many new TV shows are now being shown in "widescreen" format, so you never know.

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hi,

This is my first post in the NZ section (I hang out at "games", mostly).

Snapped this this morning on the way to work (and have sent it th TFN news); Nice use of a toy x-wing!

[image=http://www.breathe.co.nz/images/xwingbus.jpg]

LOVING this campaign! And the Listener write-ups were hilarious.

23. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Hey!! That's Kyber Pass Rd in Auckland! I thought the X-wing buses were only in Chch and Wellington. Ah well, I'm back at Uni next week, and I travel on a bus every day, so hopefully I see one soon.

I'm also on the lookout for the lightsaber busstop . . . has anyone seen one in Auckland?

24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Sure is Khyber Pass.

The story made TFN news today too :)

(I was stopped at the lights, despite the allegations made in the story ;) )

And I'd also like to see one of these lightsaber bus-stops in Auckland! Anyone?

25. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Isn't that X-wing flying backwards??! ;)

Today I heard an advert on the radio (not sure what station since I was flicking through while waiting at some traffic lights) for TV3's playing of The Saga. Lots of lightsabre swishing and clashing noises followed by a voice-over. They're certainly spending a lot of money on promoting the movies.

I wonder if there's a chance of them advertising SWNZ for free (since it IS non-profit) before/during/after each movie - even if it's only the web address displayed on screen. It could be a way of picking up some more members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.