main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ One Month, One Saga. Woo Hoo!!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I just visited the TV3 website and found out what their Raro Star Wars competition is ...

WATCH STAR WARS AND WIN WITH RARO
    WIN 1 of 4 family trips to Rarotonga with
    $500 spending money!! Just watch Star Wars
    on TV3, buy RARO and you could be in with a chance to win!
    Click here for the competition question
    and entry form.

Not a very exciting prize, it should have been a Star Wars pack (but then probably less people would have entered). :(

2. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    According to the messages on the TV3 website ...

We're playing them in full screen pan & scan.
    Charlotte @ TV3

Charlotte seems to be the person in charge of the message forums.

3. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I just read the tv3 message board. What's up with that guy claiming he has the Ep2 script and writing all those spoilers!

Sheesh.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    >> I'm also on the lookout for the lightsaber busstop . . . has anyone seen one in Auckland? <<

My wife saw one yesterday. On Park Rd Grafton. Opposite the small petrol station / out the front of the new Hospital construction site.

I'll get a snap on Monday, as I work just around the corner!

5. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    > I just read the tv3 message board. What's
    > up with that guy claiming he has the Ep2
    > script and writing all those spoilers!

I just ignored him/her. There has been a few fake fan-made and/or uncompleted early scripts floating around - almost since they finished Episode I (if not before). :(

6. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Park Rd? Great, I'll hop on a Link and check it out . . . wait, what am I saying? I'm gonna catch a bus just to see a lightsaber busstop . . . my fandom reaches new lows every day :D

So what's the deal with this documentary on tonight? I looked in the paper, and it's still listed. How likely is it that they'll show the NRL instead?

7. SeanAllanGreen

SeanAllanGreen Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2001
    my dad says they wont

8. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    Nope, I think Star Wars is still going ahead. I just saw an advert for it in the middle of the Disney Atlantis behind the scenes programme. My seat in the loung is booked, and (hopefully) my brother is recording it for me to add to my collection - or at least he better be. :)

AND, I'm just flicking through the new TV Guide and there's yet more Star Wars - YIPPEE!! :D

The Mythology of Star Wars
    Saturday, 15 September
    2:00pm - 3:00pm
    TV3

plus of course the movie ...
    The Empire Strikes Back (Special Edition)
    Sunday, 16 September
    7:30pm - 10:15pm
    TV3

Five minutes longer than A New Hope is tonight.

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    damm league

10. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Wow, this is a Star Wars fans dream come true. I've been wanting to see that mythology of star wars doco for a while. I've seen most of the star wars docos over the years, but I've never seen the old one 'from star wars to jedi' hosted by Mark Hamill. One of the best ones out there is 'Empire Strikes Back -spfx' which has great behind the scenes footage from the Bespin duel. They used to have that at my local video ezy, then it disappeared one day. :(

Here's what the listener had to say about Empire Strikes:

The Empire Strikes Back
    TV3, 7.30pm
    The darkest of the Star Wars trilogy and easily the best, revved up for the Special Edition. From the opening sequence where the Rebel base on the icy planet Hoth is destroyed, Empire is one long, extended ricochet of action, which still finds time to attend to plot and character. Han and Leia jet off in the Millennium Falcon to Bespin to form an uneasy alliance with Lando Calrissian, while Luke heads for the Dagobah system and a rendezvous with Yoda, who manages to retain guru credibility despite Muppet persona. But this is Darth Vader's film, as he obsessively tries to lure Luke to the dark side. "There is no escape," he says in their final confrontation. "Don't make me destroy you . . . Luke, you do not yet realise your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy." Vader's next words are immortal, but cannot be revealed for plot reasons. Watch it, or be damned. (1980)

Sheesh, that last sentence is a bit strong! :D

11. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    I don't know, it sounds just right to me. :)

I noticed last night that TV3 has put an advert for The Saga in the Entertainment section of the NZ Herald too (alongside with the movies, ferry rides, etc.). Not an exciting advert, just some dates/times and the movie and TV3 logos - no pictures. It was reasonably big though.

12. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    There was an awesome advert in the Sunday Star Times today. It has 'a long time ago in a galaxy far far away' crossed out, then underneath is written 'tonight at your house'. There's a nice group photo of all our favourite characters.

I scanned it and sent it to TFN, so maybe they'll post it later today.

13. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    Or even "later yesterday" since they're a day behind. :)

Looks like TV3 are playing an advert during every advert break today.

I wish I had one of those BIG TV/home theatre systems. :(

14. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    My brother has a big home cinema system. And I mean BIG. I can't keep up with what he has because it's seems like he's constantly upgrading it. He reminds me of that episode of 3rd rock from the sun, when they just can't stop buying a bigger tv. I've never seen Star Wars on his system, however, because he says he can't watch VHS anymore after DVD. He lives in New Plymouth, so I told him I'd be coming down in the summer, not to see him, but just to watch the Phantom Menace DVD :D

Meanwhile, I'll be watching Star Wars tonight on my 20yr old tv. Only an hour and a half to go. Woo Hoo!!

edit: oh yeah, I was just at the supermarket, and they had Raro everywhere. I was tempted to buy some, but it's just too disgusting.

15. SeanAllanGreen

SeanAllanGreen Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2001
    i all ready own the vhs SE but i think i might tape ANH for the heck of it

16. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Today I saw the lightsaber busstop. Kinda cute.

I also saw another bus stop ad which says '2001's space odyssey' with the film's logos underneath. For those in Auck., it's on the busstop outside the big McDee's in Greenlane.

17. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    i will have to have a look on the way home.

18. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    On Kyber Pass rd, they've got a pile of the bus shelter banners pasted along the wall, where they have all the other advertisments.

There's the '2001's space odyssey I mentioned earlier' and another one which says 'Watch the Star Wars quadrology, with the quadrology crossed out, and I can't read the rest.
    The only other one I could make out said 'Watch them you will. Yes.'

19. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    I've just been perusing the new TV Guide and there's no documentary next weeken, just the Return of the Jedi movie (7:30pm-10:20pm - they're getting longer).

There is a brief bit about the ratings for ANH though ...

TV3's galaxy-size coup in snaring of all four Star Wars movies has paid off in the Sunday night ratings battle.

The first movie, 1977's Star Wars: A New Hope scored TV3 a tied second place (with TV2's Celebrity Treasure Island) for all evening viewers aged five-plus for September 9. The night was won by TV1's 60 Minutes (503,900 viewers vs 496,300 for Star Wars), but the result is pretty darn good considering the five-plus category is extraordinarily hard for TV3 to crack. In the 18-44 category, Celebrity Treasure Island pipped Star Wars to the post (which just goes to show that former All Black Frank Bunce is every bit as appealing as a hairy Wookie).

The most impressive aspect of TV3's Star Wars deal was securing the world's first free-to-air TV rights for Episode One: The Phantom Menace (screening September 30).

Also, TV4 are showing the movie Clerks in just over a week's time (Monday, 24 September, 9:30pm-11:15pm), which the TV Guide reviewer says ...
    Best scene: the debate about the unfortunate fate of the independent contractors working on Star Wars' Death Star!

20. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I can't believe there are people out there who would rather watch Celebrity treasure island than Star Wars. I watched the last series of it because I knew one of the participants, Kane. It was pure torture . . . 'reality' tv, ugh.

Here's the listener review:

Return of the Jedi
    TV3, 7:30pm

The one with the Ewoks - that irritating tribe of hooded teddy bears - which really was a bad omen for the cuteness of The Phantom Menace and, perhaps, the senility of George Lucas. Seemingly arbitrary changes for the Special Edition include a song and dance routine in the Jabba the Hutt opening sequence; a new Ewok song and panoramic shots of Tatooine, Cloud City and the Emperor's quarters at Coruscant. Plotwise, the forces of evil are busy creating a second Death Star, while Luke and Leia take off for Tatooine to save Han, who is still frozen in a giant chocolate bar. Things liven up once Luke, having reached the peak of his Jedi powers, tries to coax his father, Darth Vader, from the dark side of the force, and we finally find out what's under that black plastic helmet. (1983)

And there's a picture of Luke and Vader dueling, with the caption 'Return of the Jedi: See what's under the helmet'.

TV2 have put Jumanji on at 8:30pm. It'll be interesting to see what they put on opposite The Phantom Menace. It's pretty neat that we're getting the World tv premiere down here in little 'ol NZ.

21. Darth Sebious

Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 21, 2000
    The spoilers the guy posted are real. I'm pretty much certain he doesn't have the script, but we had a scriptment up for a few months which outlined the plot with dialogue (Lucasfilm requested we remove it). If anyone's not familliar with TFN's Episode II section, you can check it out here. Of course, if you're spoiler free, you might want to stay away from some of the sections ;)

I saw the "Watch them you will, yes" poster. There's more to it, and it's painfully wrong compared to Yoda's actual speech syntax. But still effective for advertising :)

btw, where are the lightsaber bus stops in Christchurch?

22. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

It's amazing how people's opinions of the Ewoks (in particular) vary. According to the TV Guide reviewer ...

Return of the Jedi: Sepcial Edition
    The conclusion of George Lucas' space fairytale lacks the emotional weight, and horror of the Empire Strikes Back, particularly in what should be the climatic moment of the entire Star Wars trilogy - when the hero Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) removes the mask and visor from Darth Vader and looks into the eyes of his nightmare of a father. Despite its flaws, however, the film compensates with non-stop action, great special effects (particularly with a new sequence near the end) and cute creatures like the Ewoks.

It got four out of five stars.

And as for so-called "reality TV" - let's just say [beep][beep][beep][beep]!!!! :)

23. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I never had a problem with the Ewoks, until I started reading about how much everyone hated them. You can't read 'Ewoks suck' a thousand times, without it starting to get to you. Still . . . they are kinda cute.

If you read the reviews for ROTJ at imdb.com, there seem to be a lot of people who didn't like the Vader redemption/mask removal scene. Gary Kurtz didn't produce the third movie because he disagreed with that direction the story was taking.

To me, it's the whole point of the saga. Reminds me of what GL was saying on that mythology of Star Wars documentary. Good doco, I thought, I like the companion book too.

24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    THE MYTHOLOGY OF STAR WARS DOCO!?

Waaaaaaaaaaaa!

Totally forgot about it. Saturday, 2pm! What a stupid time.

If anyone has it VHS and would be kind enough to dub me a copy or lend it to me so I can dub my own, I will dub them the "Star Wars" Muppet Show in return (I have a 1st gen. copy, taped straight from NZ tv about 5 years ago, with only the first 20 seconds missing (when the bogus "scottish" muppet guest is being curtain-called by Scooter).

PM me to set up a trade. First in...

[image=http://www.lucasfan.com/swtv/muppets3.jpg]

More stills here;
    http://www.lucasfan.com/swtv/muppets.html

25. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I think I know why they showed it at that time: For one thing, there was quite a lot of spoilers. For instance, they showed the entire father revelation sequence, and most of the unmasking sequence. It would probably have been better to show it after the four movies had screened.

There was also some long discussion of God and religion, which they might have judged to boring to be shown at primetime.

Anyway, I'm happy to lend you my tape of it . . . I have to run now, but I'll be online later-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.