main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga One Movie...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Garrett Atkins, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Hey, now! Don't go blaming Luke for the train wreck that is the prequels. That's neither fair nor very nice. ;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Them's fighting words! :p

I think I was attributing certain / very particular design facets of the prequels to Luke -- but I can't remember which ones.

I do come up with these crazy thoughts, sometimes.

The only detail I can remember, right at this moment, is the most mundane: Luke / Lucas.

The prequel trilogy can be looked upon as a reverse-projection of Luke's anxieties and how these are filtered through his deeper connection to an unseen Force: the alien aspects of his psyche made manifest in an epic collage of light and sound.

One obvious point of connection exists in TESB (not the cave scene -- though that is very, VERY interesting)...

"I saw a city in the clouds!" = The start of AOTC

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I know Tatooine is boring, but Luke doesn't seem the type to pass the time by sparking up a vaporator.

Yanksfan likes this.
  4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

I heard that he tried once, but Obi-Wan made him go home and rethink his life.

5. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Pay attention to the "cave" as Luke moves through it. There are slanting stone walls. These mirror (and probably are supposed to be a premonition of) the walls in Cloud City when Vader has fallen silent, then jumps out and starts really going after Luke.

They also mirror the walls in one of the passageways that Ben and Anakin fight through on Mustafar.

6. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    AOTC. Replace a lot of the romance scenes with scenes of Palpatine. I love Palpatine and hate romance.

7. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Yes, indeed!

That Dagobah tree cave is very mysterious.

This site should be your first port-of-call:

http://starwarsverses.tumblr.com/

8. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Cryogenic Offtopic, but just one thing - given your signature, are you familiar with this article? A New Heap.

On topic: ROTJ, with the possibility of bringing in a lot of the things discussed in its story conferences - namely, a battle set over Coruscant/Had Abbadon - is very tempting. But I think I'll still stick with ROTS as my vote.

Cryogenic likes this.
  9. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

Oooh, this looks like a fun read. Gonna bookmark it for when I have more time :)

Cryogenic and Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn like this.
  10. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Familiar? Yup.

It is, indeed, the very article that introduced me to Robert Smithson -- whose work I have yet to seriously examine, but in whom I already find resonances.

It's a fantastic read.

One of the best pieces ever created on Star Wars.

Although, it's as much about 2001, as it is Star Wars -- but then, the two are interlinked, anyway.

It's something I'd recommend to any serious fan wanting to learn more.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  11. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002

That would ruin the story rather than improve it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I think the second line should be on a t-shirt.

13. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Make Anakin older, more likeable and portray him as a real friend to Obi Wan Kenobi.

sharkymcshark likes this.
  14. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith

"Anakin Skywalker. I expected someone with your reputation to be a little...older."

"General Grievous ...You're shorter than I expected." Uh, George, it just should've been, "I was expecting someone shorter," you tin-eared goof.

Also, remove Chewbacca from the proceedings. Entirely. I actually dig the looped character fates between Anakin and C-3P0 along with Bobba Fett and the Clone Army. I thought they were thematically clever. But Chewbacca hanging out with Yoda? That one just felt like a screen mugging fan service. In those scenes I just always pretend that I'm looking at some other Wookie named Stewbacca or Chomocca or Jewhanukkah or...Jeff.

That's it. Everything else about movie is fine. Everything else about the saga is fine. I mean, really, you guys are goin' on about merging Episode I and II, cutting out the Ewoks and whatnot?! I don't know where you get your delusions, laser-brains.

15. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014

Eh… why though?

16. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I sense it was a little tongue-in-cheek. :p

17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

????????????????????????/:confused:

Leia never came to any peace regarding her father . . . at least in the movie. Also, her statement was about her blood relationship with Luke. It had nothing to do with Anakin.

I found the writing of her character a bit questionable in all three movies, after my recent viewing of the movies.

And as far as I'm concerned, Grand Moff Tarkin is solely responsible for the destruction of Alderaan. The Death Star was his command and he solely made the decision to destroy the planet.

18. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    ROTJ easily.
    No tatooine, no ewoks!

19. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    This is right. She could have put her bikini on and joined Luke in that "recovery bath" :eek:
    My original point, though, was that Leia showed not enough emotion in that scene. Assuming she had not "always known" (that Vader's her father, which is logical)..that should suggest it would shock her even more to learn the truth and realize what her own father did, wouldn't it? Given she had to be surprised in that case. But she wasn't affected at all...

20. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    A New Hope:

I think much things need to occur in A New Hope other than saving the Princess and Luke destroying ting the Death Star. Spend less time in the Millennium Falcon and focus more on Darth Vader.
    Make the film less cliched and fairy tale-like.

And completely redo the lightsaber duel between Obi-Wan and Vader.

21. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    skyrimcat9416

At the risk of being labeled a heretic, I think that lightsaber duel is rather boring and laughable. [face_dunno]And I always thought so, even before watching Episode V and the amazing TPM duel between Darth Maul and Obi Wan and Qui Gon.

22. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013

Its just hard to take seriously anymore.

For one thing, its so poorly choreographed, its too short, and I thought Obi-Wan gave way too easily in that fight. Its like a bunch of old guys decided to have a five second fist fist.

Especially after just seeing Revenge of the Sith, its hard to accept that duel. You would thank that Vader would be holding a friggin grudge against for Obi-Wan for 20 years after what he did to him. I mean he got all limbs cut off, was burned to death by the lava on Mustafar, and had to be put in a respirator suit just to stay alive for God's sake! Vader should have been choking people left and right once he finds out that Obi-Wan is still alive. I would think he would want to wring Obi-Wan's friggin neck and waiting for a rematch the minute he feels Obi-Wan's presence.

Their rematch should have been a big duel a lot like Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul's duel in TPM. And Obi-Wan's death should have been much more shocking and dramatic.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

24. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I see it as more of a half-remembered dance that the two men are performing -- almost out of obligation.

Obi-Wan gives quite easily, but he's stalling to distract Vader long enough to let Han, Luke, and Leia escape.

The moment Obi-Wan claps eyes on Luke, he realizes the time is right, and surrenders to Vader's ensuing death blow.

It's not your duel in the normal sense. One of the combatants is extremely level-headed and has entered into it with the express purpose of checking out.

The younger Anakin was full of hubris and was champing at the bit to prove his superiority to Obi-Wan.

Twenty years later, the cybernetic Anakin, having been crippled once before by Obi-Wan when he was too eager, and having grown accustomed to his new life as Darth Vader, is -- understandably, I think -- much more laid back. Based on what he says, he still intends to prove his superiority, but he'll take his time over it and savour victory.

"When I left you, I was but the learner. Now, I am the master," is as much in reference to his youthful petulance, and the fact he now considers himself a mature, controlled adult, as anything else, in my opinion. He's not out to wring Obi-Wan's neck. That would state the case a little too clearly that he hasn't gotten over Obi-Wan besting him on Mustafar in the deep mythic past.

That and Anakin kind of got his dream, already, in that the Jedi are pretty much vanquished, and the Empire has replaced the Republic, and, from his point-of-view, is about to squelch the Rebellion, leading to another victory for the Dark Side of the Force -- the spiritual enemy of the Jedi Order he once belonged to and helped destroy. Again, no need for a big display of emotion. In fact, Vader in ANH pretty much embodies the evil of "business as usual", in my opinion.

No way! That's not how I see it -- at all.

The TPM duel is deliberately much more ornate and religious in scope. The ANH duel forms a powerful contrast.

Not so much is at stake between Vader and Ben. It's more of a punctuation mark for old loyalties.

But in TPM, the participants were and are, in a way, battling for Anakin's soul.

One is much more visually impactful and laden with symbolism than the other. And they suit the aesthetic purposes of their given episodes.

Also, Vader and Ben do not have the Death Star to themselves, unlike the figures battling it out in the epic power generator facility on Theed, or cutting their way through the mining station on Mustafar (the latter does have some workers still slaving away, though).

Again, purposeful differences.

JMO.

25. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Cryogenic knows what's up. All the crazy thoughts that I have scrambled up in my brain that I struggle to get written down, you seem to be able to type so eloquently with ease (and with much more detail and relevance than I could hope to achieve).

Bravo, man. I absolutely love reading your posts.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.