main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

One of the most underrated scenes in the Star Wars Saga..

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Oakessteve, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I looked to see if there's a thread about this already, but as there isn't, I decided to post something about it. There are certain key scenes in the Star Wars Saga that I think, and I could be wrong, that are pretty much universally loved by all Star Wars fans, such as Luke watching the binary sun set on Tatooine, Darth Vader's revealation to Luke, Anakin's confession, and when Anakin finally brings balance to the Force and kills the Emperor, but one moment that I absolutely love, and I never see anyone mention, is from Empire Strikes Back. Just before the Battle of Hoth, there's a scene where before Luke goes off in his snow-speeder to try and stop the ATATs, he says goodbye to Chewie and Han. There's very little dialogue exchanged between them, but I think the acting in this scene is wonderful. As I said, there is hardly any dialogue, but the look in Han and Luke's eyes speak volumes to me, that they're both very good friends, but they are far too proud to say what they really want to each other. It's a very understated, subtle piece of acting, but to me, it's this little scene that makes Empire Strikes Back so great. There's a similiar moment in Attack of the Clones, when Anakin goes off on his mission, and Obi-Wan wishes him good luck, as again, we can see how much they care for each other. Anyhow, am I alone in liking this scene? And are there any moments in Star Wars that are never mentioned, but that you really love? Feel free to post them here!

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Tobie_Wan

Tobie_Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    That scene you are referring to reminds me of the scene in ANH when Luke is chastising Han for leaving..."You know what they're up against....etc." This time around instead of whining Luke has gained the maturity to accept Han's decision to leave, and what he doesn't say really has the greatest effect on Han. Luke's example and innate sense of goodness inspires Han to re-examine his life as a mercenary in that one moment. Of course this all leads to Han's final transformation when Luke turns the tables and has to save Han from the clutches of Jabba.

3. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    the balance between Harrison and Mark makes you feel that they really are best friend. Some that Episode 1 was lacking. in the CT you could feel the bonds. It made you wish you had friends like that.

4. markdil

markdil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    You're right! That is a great scene, especially the way Luke reaches up and scratches Chewie, and then Chewie gives him a big bear hug.

Another scene I love that is seldom mentioned is Luke and Han's interaction in the Falcon's cockpit in ANH.

Leia (as she storms out): I wonder if you really care about anything!

Luke (as he comes in): I care. (turns to Han) So what do you think of her?

Han: Tryin' not to, kid. (gets a sly look in his eye as he realizes Luke has a crush) I don't know, what do you think... a princess and a guy like me?

Luke: NO.

I just love that whole scene and exchange between naive Luke and wise but calloused Han. hehe.

5. DarthJava

DarthJava Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    You almost get the impression that in the OT, Lucas (and the crew) was really creating a work of art, in the sense that he took care of all the little details of the interactions between characters, the dialogue, the chemistry, the descriptions of the Force, and well as some very important moral messages ("Don't give into hate!").

In the PT, Lucas seems more focussed on making the movies entertaining, and spectacular. While I do value good entertainment highly, it adds something to a film to see the kinds of subtleties that were present in the OT.

It's largely for this reason that ESB remains my favourite Star Wars film of all time.

6. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    I does feel like in the PT he's going "look what i can do"

He didn't have those abilities in the CT and it was all about the actors

7. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    HAN: Be careful.

LUKE: You too.

John Williams' touching scene music.

Yeah, that is a good scene.

8. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Of course I love that exchange between Luke and Han. I don't think their lack of words was about being proud, I think it was more about the emotional difficulty in saying goodbye to a close friend. Another great moment there is Chewy hugging Luke, with Luke laughing and saying, "ok...ok." I also think it's a far more moving scene than the one you compared it to in AOTC. Yes, it is clear how much Obi-Wan cares for Anakin. But Anakin just looks like he can't wait to get out of there.

9. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Chewie is great in that scene. Good point about the symmetry with AOTC as the heroes get sepearted.

10. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    I never thought about the parrelels between that scene in Star Wars, Tobie_Wan! I wonder if Han was actually wanting Luke to ask him to say, and I wonder had Luke asked him, if he would have done? Maybe that's what they both wanted to say to each other. Interesting!

11. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    Oakes, that is hands-down one of my favorite ESB moments. It's just this little moment between them, but it's so heartfelt and real. Made all the more pogniant when you realize that Han and Luke won't see each other again for a very long time.

Something to point to, also, the next time someone says "The OT had terrible acting, too". Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill speak volumes about their characters' relationship without saying a word.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why I will always hold ESB above the rest as the crown jewel of the "Star Wars" saga...it's full of little moments like that one.

12. Master_Grover

Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2002
    Lets not forget in ANH :

Han: You think a princess and a guy like me...

Luke: NO.

I love that scene.

13. alfy

alfy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2002
    Oakessteve, another great scene, and one very similar to the one you mentioned, is in Jabba's Palace....when Han is first unfrozen and put in the dungeon, he meets up Chewie, and it's handled really well.

14. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    Yeah, I like that scene too, alfy. It's a shame that Luke and Han didn't have more scenes together in Return of the Jedi, as usually there's good banter between the two of them.

Oh, and I agree with you about that scene from Star Wars, Master_Grover. That's always been one of my favourites, too.

15. Robbie-Wan

Robbie-Wan Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2002
    One of my favs is when Leia is forced to give the command to shut the doors on Hoth while Luke and Han are still out there. You can see the doors closing behind Chewie, and when they shut, the roar that Chewie gives shows exactly what he is feeling.

16. DarthStew

DarthStew Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2002
    I love the little scene in ROTJ when Han and Luke have both been brought in front Jabba to get their death sentence to the Sarlaac, and they have a hilarious exchange between them.

LUKE
    Han!

HAN
    Luke!

LUKE
    Are you all right?

HAN
    Fine. Together again, huh?

LUKE
    Wouldn't miss it.

HAN
    How are we doing?

LUKE
    The same as always.

HAN
    That bad, huh? Where's Leia?

17. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    I totally agree, Robbie-Wan. ;) The zooming close-up shot of Leia as the blast-doors of the Echo Base in ESB were closed was both well-executed and superbly displayed the necessary emotional response. ;)

18. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I have to agree with Oakessteve about the Han/Luke scene in ESB. It really is a wonderful moment, and you can tell that the two characters care about each other a lot, despite hardly saying anything. :) I'll have to think of other underrated scenes that I like another night when my brain is awake though.

19. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    For me, the scene is in ROTJ. When Luke and Vader meet and talk on Endor, before Leaving for the Death Star. The dialougue in that scene is perfect. Especially the line, "You don't know the power of the Dark Side." Which I think is a perfect mirror to ESB's line, "If you only knew the power of the Dark Side." There is a very subtle change in the lines, but the changes tell a lot about Vader's mentaltity in each instance. Add in, that David Prowse does his best work in the suit. I don't know how he does it, but he is able to convey a hell of a lot of emotion in that scene. After Luke is taken away, and Vader walks to the balcony and looks out, you can literally see the conflict going with Vader.

Great Scene.

whostheBossk likes this.
  20. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001
    I second that DDD, excellent scene. Especially when Vader takes that deep breath after Luke is led away. The inner turmoil is brewing in him like a pressure cooker.

Another scene I love to death is the scene when Luke realizes Yoda is Yoda in ESB. I don't think it is appreciated as much as the other ones are.

"I'm not afraid." - Luke

"Good! You will be! You will be!" - Yoda

21. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    That scene is absolutely perfect. It really dwarfs the PT in any of its scenes.

Someone said: "It makes you wish you had friends like that."

So so true.

Some of my other underrated scenes I love:

1)
    Yoda: Ah. Father. Powerful Jedi was he. [then very sullen] Poowerful Jedi.

2)
    C-3PO: If you ask my opinion sir--

HAN: I'm not really interested in your opinions 3PO.

3) (and of course)

Obi-Wan: Well hello my little friend!

>plus<

[The part when Obi-Wan and Luke watch the message in its entirety. And Obi-Wan's face as he realizes the circle is coming together.

Alec Guiness' face speaks VOLUMES in that one instant as he sits back contemplating. Almost like: "Oh my God. This kids' sister sent a message for me and HE recieved it because he got the same droids his father hung with. Looks like I'm back in action."

btw,
    Best.Thread.Ever

22. LASTJEDICHOSENONE

LASTJEDICHOSENONE Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2002
    I agree with you, "Oakessteve"! That ESB scenes (Han and Luke's silent exchange) has always given me somewhat of a (good) chill!
    I also enjoy those expression on old Obi-Wan's face after Leia's hologram finishes in ANH. He knows it's time for these two cross paths! The ironic thing is that Sir Alec Guinness didn't even know about all that at he time! But he played it all out so perfectly! It is also a credit to GL's genius to recognize that and put it to such great use in the rest of the plot of the OT and now in the PT!
    A couple of other such great moments in the OT are:
    The looks Han and Leia give each other in the Hoth command center when they hear that Imperial stormtroopers have entered the base. Han looks at Leia with obvious love - determined to get her to safety whether she likes it or not. Leia, resistent and dutiful at first, recognizes this, sees his love, and trusts him to do it.
    Speaking of these two, there's also a touching few seconds just after their first kiss gets interrupted by Threepio. I liked her expression of confusion, before she ran off, and then Han's expression as he watches her go.
    Another GREAT silent moment is Darth Vader's in ROTJ when Luke is taken away after his line, "Then my father is TRULY dead." Once he's gone, you can almost SEE Vader's expression of hurt and uncertainty through his mask!

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. MD-O

MD-O Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2000
    I also love the Vader/Luke exchange on Endor especially when Luke slightly nods and says, "then my father is truly dead."

The scenes with Piett and his expressions of fear and nervousness are also golden. I especially love the look on his face when Vader promotes him to Admiral.

24. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    This thread is why coming to the forums is a fun thing to do.

Both scenes, the Luke-Han exchange in ESB and Luke-Vader in ROJ are simply brilliant and are the two most underrated in the saga thus far.

I think with that Vader scene, it's the first glimpse we get of the Anakin side of him coming out. It's almost as if Anakin himself is speaking when he says "Obi-Wan once thought as you do." Then, as if not by his own hand, he turns around and switches back into Vader mode. The conflict within Vader is readily apparent in that scene, and it's beautifully written and acted. Awesome stuff.

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. LASTJEDICHOSENONE

LASTJEDICHOSENONE Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2002
    I also forgot to mention the scene in ROTJ just before Vader picks the Emperor up (while he's zapping Luke). Again, somehow you can almost see Anakin's emotions coming through Vader's mask. It was a combination of the lighting, cinematography, the musical score, the editing - and pure "Star Wars" magic! But it definately comes through without Anakin/Vader saying a word!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.