main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

One of Yoda's Bear Clan members is CLEARLY a Noghri

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by MamowNadon, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    OATH BROTHERS, Bib? Good Lord.......

Anyway, no one answered my question. I reiterate: How could the Noghri smell Vader's bloodline under three layers of leather, machinery, and capes, besides having no limbs? How in the world did they do that? Did Vader have a clone with arms or something? That'll be next. Vader and his Three Clones. Vaader, Vaaader, Vaaaader. And it wasn't Vader that battled over the planet, it was during the Clone Wars.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Can you think of a better way for them to be brothers and still fit with what TOS says?

3. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    The official Site says they aren't brothers. And they aren't.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    No, the Official Site says they're not related by blood or marriage. That is all.

5. MamowNadon

MamowNadon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2002
    Yeah, they could figuratively be brothers (i.e.- close friends). I'll bet this happens some time during the Clone Wars.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The only brother that Obi-wan has was before he was taken. Seen in The Hidden Past. His name was Owen, but not Owen Lars.

Stuff in the novelizations are canon, but errors on the authors part. Obi-wan and Owen, Vader with a blue Lightsaber blade, Luke as Blue 5 instead of Red 5. That stuff is contradicted and left out in the cold. Thus they are no longer canon in any sense of the world. The eu novels have only referenced that a couple of times, to my knowledge. Those bits of dialouge have been dropped.

As to the bloodline issue, we'll see what it said about that in the future. His "oder" might be in the suit. Meaning that the oder is like a variation of the Jedi/Sith sensing ability. Only it registers as a smell. Even with Vader.

7. trianiigirl

trianiigirl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 21, 2002
    Someone mentioned 'Asking Jocasta Nu' about the questionable Bear Clan kid...maybe if enough of us do it, she'll answer! BRB...

8. alottoni

alottoni Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    About the EU contradiction

I think GL can contradict EU how much he wants. Star Wars is HIS saga, HE determines what is truth or not.

O read once that in EU, Darth Vader lost his right hand in a time he was ALREADY Darth Vader.

So there´s another EU contradiction, that in my opinion, the way GL did it makes much more sense.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    That's not a contradiction, as Vader lost his mechanical right hand.

In fact, there are no contradictions at all between the movies and the EU.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So anyways [face_plain] back on topic.

It bears a resemblance to a Noghri, but the little guy actually looks more like a Trandoshan.

BTW, how you you guys know that the bounty hunter in ESB was a Trandoshan named Bossk?

11. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    You know, you opened your post with a resolve to get back on topic. Then you had to say that ever-so-clever last sentence to immediately get the thread back off topic.

The debate is dying. No need to stir up the flames again with a challange. Smugly baiting someone like that is only going to create more conflict. If you don't want any one to continue to question the EU, then don't antagonize them. You don't think it is a Noghri. Thats fine. They think it could be. Fine. No one has changed their mind, no one has been convinced. And all of you have been warned by a mod.

Nothing was accomplished here. Its time for both sides to let it go.

12. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    I don't think it is a noghori because, it's suppost to be a kid. well that kid is about the size of a full grown noghori. I don't think it can be a trandoshin because they'er pure killers. I don't see one of them being able to control there temper.

I agree with DS that itr's a new alien race.

13. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I agree with Gay-Len. If you want to continue your pointless EU-Canon debate go do it somewhere else. The whole issue is subjective and there's no way one side will convince the other so let's just drop the exercise in futility, k?

Anyway, could the alien kid be a Barada-type?

14. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    There's actually a small revision of the whole 40 yrs or 24 yrs when Vader arrived on Honoghr. It's in the Essential Guide to Alien Species. There's a journal entry from Leia saying that the planet has a faster rotation. So Vader was at Honoghr 24 yrs prior. It's all fiction, contradictions are bound to happen. In the Thrawn trilogy it even says that Yoda lived on Dagobah the whole time, and we know spent time on Coruscant.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Also about the kids, most of them were real. But a couple had CGI "makeup" applied, since they wouldn't sit still for it. The "Noghri" kid is most likely a combination of different elements put together.

16. Darth Portnoy

Darth Portnoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 1998
  17. markdil

markdil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Here's a good Lucas quote for the EU folks:

"Yeah, I'm certainly not going to worry about that, and um, the fans, they generate their own stories, their own ideas, they have their own fantasy life that goes around the movies and that's fine but I try to keep away from all that; I don't even read the offshoot books that come out based on Star Wars."

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    What's your point? All he's saying is that he doesn't read the books. That means absolutely nothing.

Please don't post here unless you have something positive to say about the EU, because all you're doing is causing more arguments.

19. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

When did this become an EU defense thread? I realiseb that it is not an EU bashing thread but it is not the opposite either.

In fact, I think it is high time this trhread was closed because it is turning into an EU/Cannon debate.

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    It will only turn into one if people continue to bash the EU, try to discredit it or simply argue that it's not canon. If you don't do that, this thread will be fine.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Bib, the problem is that you're going on. It's ok to defend it, but you're helping to add fuel to the fire. I love the eu, but it's pointless to go on about it. Let's all drop the debate and concetrate on what the Padawan is supposed to be.

22. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    markdil, stop discussing it. The thread is returning to the topic. Its time to drop it.

If you can't handle people disagreeing that the EU is a continuous part of the GFFA OR handle that there are fans who enjoy the EU and will defend it, then a message board that is open to both 'EUists' and 'Purists' is not for you. Bib, you have been reprimanded for your behavior before. If you persist, I have a feeling a longer ban is in your future. Obviously DS is watching this thread. If you don't want to draw the attention of a mod, then I suggest you exit, stage left, with haste.

I also think that if it wasn't for the time difference regarding Vader's inital discovery of the race, most EUists would be arguing it WAS a Noghri and Purists would be arguing it WASN'T simply because it is a race only seen in the EU. Everybody missed that part. Even if it is a Noghri, it is a moot point that it clashes with the time frame of Vader's visit. GL would have taken a character from the EU and used it in the movie. It still is giving an EU character the status of movie canon, and in that way validating the EU.

This debate is silly for that reason. If it is Noghri, it contradicts the time in the story, BUT IT IS STILL A EU CHARACTER. It isn't a victory for either side. And it should never have been a EUist vs. Purist battleground.

23. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    "Please don't post here unless you have something positive to say about the EU, because all you're doing is causing more arguments. "

What if I want to talk about the bear clan kids? They're not EU. Can I say something negative about them? Or something postive ?

24. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    As for the little Jedi: I don't know what the heck it is. But I don't think that dog thing is a Noghri. Are there any comic pictures of Noghris? I know there's an illustration of one among the icons we choose to accompany our messages on this site.

As for "the debate": I reckon we can all have our separate opinions. As far as I'm concerned, only the movies are incontrovertible. I generally accept the books written before, during, and between trilogies, but generally reject anything written post-ROTJ. Why? Because it suits me to accept a certain very well-written fanfic extrapolation instead, and because I can. And no one can tell me that I'm wrong, because none of this is true to begin with. It's all fiction. But via the films, I, for one, can see absolutely no way that Owen and Obi-Wan are brothers. As of Ep. II they don't even know that each other exist, and as of Ep. IV Owen calls Obi-Wan a crazy old hermit. These guys aren't pals, and they aren't related by blood or marriage. I doubt they've much more than met.

The absolute clearest sign that the written EU and the movies contradict is up for debate: the EU ("Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina") holds that Greedo was a teenager when Han shot him in ANH, and that clearly can't be the case if he fought with nine-year-old Anakin (and he looked older than Anakin, at that) during TPM. Obviously, that's a deleted scene, but I accept those, too. On the other hand, that fight is also in the novelization. So which is right? The movie novelization or TFTMEC?

25. darthgetalife

darthgetalife Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    Do You want some EU contradiction ?

Try this one .

At Starwars.com friday 19th was posted a news link entitled "This Party is Over" wich purpose was to showcase the bios of the Jedi's that survived the Battle in Geonosis Arena.

Well among the survivors was the one Ki Adi Mundi

Reading his expanded universe bio ( as posted at http://starwars.com/databank/charac...dimundi/eu.html)
    the fllowing excerpt was found :

" Despite adherence to the Jedi philosophies, Ki was, in his hearts, a Cerean. He followed the Cerean custom of polygamous marriage, taking a bond wife, Shea, and four honor wives. He fathered seven daughters and became a strong community leader. "

So after that i tought : am i missing something ?

Wasn't one of the plots in AOTC that Jedis weren't aloud to marry -- even to love ?
    Wasn't supose that Anakin and Amidala had somewhat of a forbidden love that should be kept secret?
    How to explain then that one of the members of the Jedi Council was not only married but had a freaking harem ?

Some could argue that EU story would have happened after the events of the films but the site followed :

" Following his exploits on Tatooine, Ki-Adi-Mundi was invited to permenantly join the Jedi Council, filling a space left vacant by the recently deceased Master Micah Giett "

So could anyone dare to explain this incoherence ?
    Doesn't this contradict the whole screnplay, the role notion of the Jedi order showed in the move ?
    Why only Anakin had to hide his feelings ?
    Why he cannot marry Padmé ?
    Wasn't attachment forbidden in Anakin words forbidden for Jedis ?

This clearly beats noghri thing easily ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.