main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends One Path (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Oc's) Updated 5/18

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by azizah, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Title: One Path
    Author: azizah
    Timeframe: JA
    Genre: drama
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, OC?s
    Summary: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan come to terms with their relationship after Melida/Daan.
    Notes: This was my first piece of fanfiction, started a few years ago and never finished. I am determined to go back and finish it and have just drafted the last few missing chapters. I am posting it to motivate me. Fanfiction was a new experience for me when I started this and in re-reading there are parts that make me cringe but parts I still enjoy, so hopefully you will too.
    I apologize for the title but I was new and did not realize how many Path?s there were, and you can?t really rename your children (or can you?) [face_thinking].

And my deepest thanks to Shanobi, who beta?d this story. She is talented and gracious and I know will stick with me to the end even though she has run off to write in other fandoms.

Chapter 1

The Coruscant sky was dull gray, softened slightly by rays of light filtering through the clouds from the dying sunset. Lying on his back on the rooftop Obi-Wan Kenobi could just see the last of bit of orange that lit the horizon. He closed his eyes briefly and let out a deep breath, trying unsuccessfully to let go of his frustration. The day was finally over.

Laughter filled the air, loud deep laughter. Obi-Wan opened his eyes and sat up quickly. He grasped the mammoth seven fingered hand extended toward him.

?Well done, Obi-Wan. Excellent. Excellent,? boomed the voice of Jedi Knight Calvara Putan.

He laughed again as he pulled Obi-Wan to his feet, a deep rolling laugh that shook his entire frame. And that was saying something. Putan was an enormous being. He resembled a human, closer to two humans if you considered his girth. He had a round face and deep brown eyes which held a constant gleam of amusement. Beside him his slight padawan, Tilla Tan chuckled softly. Tilla was a Tanranite, a small being with light orange skin and a gentle face.

Obi-Wan did not feel as if his performance had been excellent. He rubbed his shoulder where he had fallen and shook his head slightly to loosen his stiff neck.

He had spent the afternoon practicing the ?To Contemplate the Sky? kata under the instruction of Master Putan on a little used rooftop deck of the Jedi Temple. As a break from the strenuous lesson, Calvara suggested they try their hand at Bocho, an ancient battle art from his home planet. Bocho consisted primarily of swinging a large stick at your opponent while dodging returning blows or blocking them with your own Bocho stick.

It had started well enough. Obi-Wan had done well with the unfamiliar kata. He had worked hard and had received high praise from Calvara. Just when he had decided that he had mastered the exercise, he felt rather than saw a presence in the doorway to the rooftop. It was Obi-Wan?s former master, Qui-Gon Jinn. Qui-Gon did not announce his arrival, but settled himself against the wall in the shadow of the door to observe.

Calvara and Tilla seemed oblivious to his presence so Obi-Wan did not acknowledge Qui-Gon and tried to continue with the work out. But he had lost his focus. Moves he had mastered minutes before now proved elusive. But Calvara was not a demanding master, preferring to encourage rather than correct so he seemed not to notice Obi-Wan?s distraction and continued to praise his performance.

At the conclusion of the lesson Calvara had brought out the Bocho. After watching Calvara and Tilla handle the Bocho sticks for several turns Obi-Wan had taken a turn against Calvara. The large jedi was deceptively quick but Obi-Wan was just as quick and was able to use his skill at leaps and turns to evade Calvara?s wide swings with the Bocho. But Calvara Putin was a Jedi knight and he quickly adjusted to Obi-Wan?s strategy, caught him in a turn and swept his feet out from under him. Calvara?s booming laugher filled the open air as he landed Obi-Wan on his back in three

2. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    First!?

Interesting, very interesting. Poor Obi-Wan trying so hard to please his master however one cannot go on at the pace forever. I hope nothing bad happens to Obi, but I have feeling I may be wrong in my hopes LOL!

Very good at writing the relationship between the two through Obis POV, I can sense the underlining feelings and I think a bit of insecurity shown in only his want to please his master. GAH *hugs her Obi* Don?t worry I lu~v you just the way you are :)

I cannot wait for more and I hope more comes soon.

Oh and if you have a PM list can you add me to it pwease, thankie!

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    One path is a perfectly acceptable title, especially since it seems to speak of Obi-Wan's path forward. I really liked your OCs. I could picture them very clearly. What a contrast between the laughing Master and Qui-Gon. I liked, too, the way you showed Obi-Wan's uncertainty and his doubts.

Great job. Please put me on your PM list if you have one.

4. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    If even part of this chapter was truly from your first
    fanfiction effort then I feel woefully inadequate!

I love this, and the premise as well, I have always wondered
    how they became an even better team afterwards...
    I love it!
    and I want to see more so please
    as soon as you post the next part PM me

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    =D=

Excellent, and I love your OC's. I like Obi-Wan's uncertainty, and Qui's gentleness rather than disapproval, but it's interesting how he keeps his thoughts to himself.

Please add me to the PM list, too.

6. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Wow, great job. This feels very accurate to me, very in-character. I can totally see this happening. Also, I really like your writing style. It seems to flow very well, understated but lyrical. Very good job indeed!

7. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Very interesting beginning.:cool:
    I love the start, Obi-Wan's uncertainity shows through.

Please add me to you PM list.

8. Luminara_Kenobi

Luminara_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2006
    Oh, my poor Obi...that doubting complex'll get you every time :(. Since this is mostly already written, does that mean there will be regular updates? Like maybe daily?! [face_batting] :D Please put me on the pm list.

9. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    Ganki ? I would never let anything bad happen to Obi-Wan, at least not for too long.:) I will be happy to send you a PM with updates.

Dainethx
    ? Thanks for reading. This one is full of uncertainty and doubt. I love these two, but never enough to make it easy on them.

ClaudiaR
    ? Thanks for reading

Valairy_Scot ? Thank you and a PM is on its way.

SakuraTsukikage- Thank you, I really appreciate the comments.

Gkilkenny ? Thanks, more uncertainty to come.

Luminara_Kenobi ? Daily updates. Uh, ok. Well just this once.

I can?t have this catching up with me. I have about 24 chapters done and a few more in draft, so hopefully that will buy me some time. Thanks for reading.

10. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    Chapter 2

This was one of those mornings. Obi-Wan had returned to his quarters in the early morning hours and had thrown himself down on his sleep couch fully clothed. He had meant to rest for just a few minutes before he undressed. It really seemed he had only just shut his eyes when he was awoken by the sound the door chime. He blinked for a moment, disoriented. The chime sounded again. He quickly pushed himself up and hurried to the door, ignoring the stiff ache of his muscles. He knew before he opened the door that it was Qui-Gon.

?Good Morning, Obi-Wan. I trust you slept well.? Qui-Gon?s gaze traveled over the young Jedi?s disheveled appearance as he stood in the doorway of his quarters.

Obi-Wan?s eyes did not meet his, ?Yes, Master.?

Well, not exactly a lie, mused Qui-Gon. He had come to propose morning meditation, but paused to reconsider. ?You had better change and get something to eat. Then perhaps you will be better prepared for our meditation session.?

Obi-Wan quickly looked up, distress registering on his young face. ?I am ready now, Master. I can eat later.?

Qui-Gon considered him for a moment and suppressed a sigh. He knew Obi-Wan was eager to please and anxious to prove his commitment and Qui-Gon was grateful for that. They had been through some difficult times and were still trying to rebuild the trust that had been broken when they had parted ways on Melida/Daan.

Melida/Daan. The ever fluid emotions and memories of all that had happened between them on that sad planet were hard to lose and lingered close, quick to surface if he allowed them. Obi-Wan?s face as he stood before Qui-Gon, light saber drawn in defiance, was vivid in Qui-Gon?s memory, etched there by feelings of anger and betrayal that had long since faded. The sick empty feeling in his gut as Obi-Wan relinquished the weapon and the helpless anger as he watched the boy throw everything away were not emotions that would easily pass without a leaving a mark.

But the anger had passed. True forgiveness and understanding had not come easy, but they had come, fostered by a deep affection for the boy that had never really left. And when he could finally look without anger at the images in his mind Qui-Gon saw something that pulled at his heart. He saw all that he had missed before. He no longer saw the hard face of defiance and betrayal, in its place he saw only Obi-Wan?s brave determination, his willingness to fight to build a better future for his friends, and the selfless passion for good that had driven the young Jedi to his desperate act.

Obi-Wan had been foolish and impulsive, but he had followed his heart, and in that Qui-Gon could not find fault.

What had happened to that boy, the one who was willing to throw away all he had known to try for peace against impossible odds?

Qui-Gon did not want to return to the past, that was not the way of the Jedi. He and Obi-Wan had come so far, but Obi-Wan had changed. But then Qui-Gon had changed as well.

No, there was no going back Qui-Gon thought with a sudden pang. The death of his former padawan, Xanatos had seen to that. In recent days it seemed to color all of his actions. Memories of Xanatos as a promising, eager young boy haunted Qui-Gon as they had not done in years. He raged against the loss. Xanatos had been a bright spot in Qui-Gon?s life, before he had turned.

Before I hunted him down and killed him, Qui-Gon thought bitterly.

Xanatos? betrayal had cost him; it had taken him to the edge of his endurance. He had survived, he had buried the pain and the guilt and continued down the path that had always been his life. He had even thought it was behind him when the bond with his new padawan, Obi-Wan, had tentatively started to grow.

But the old feelings would not let go. They had resurfaced on Melida/Daan and had almost caused a permanent rift between himself and Obi-Wan. It was his fear that drove him. He could not face such a loss again. So Qui-Gon steeled himself against the future and drove Obi-Wan to the point of exhaustion. He knew it made no

11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Melida/Daan. The ever fluid emotions and memories of all that had happened between them on that sad planet were hard to lose and lingered close, quick to surface if he allowed them. Obi-Wan?s face as he stood before Qui-Gon, light saber drawn in defiance, was vivid in Qui-Gon?s memory, etched there by feelings of anger and betrayal that had long since faded. The sick empty feeling in his gut as Obi-Wan relinquished the weapon and the helpless anger as he watched the boy throw everything away were not emotions that would easily pass without a leaving a mark.

But the anger had passed. True forgiveness and understanding had not come easy, but they had come, fostered by a deep affection for the boy that had never really left. And when he could finally look without anger at the images in his mind Qui-Gon saw something that pulled at his heart. He saw all that he had missed before. He no longer saw the hard face of defiance and betrayal, in its place he saw only Obi-Wan?s brave determination, his willingness to fight to build a better future for his friends, and the selfless passion for good that had driven the young Jedi to his desperate act.

Obi-Wan had been foolish and impulsive, but he had followed his heart, and in that Qui-Gon could not find fault.

What had happened to that boy, the one who was willing to throw away all he had known to try for peace against impossible odds?

Qui-Gon did not want to return to the past, that was not the way of the Jedi. He and Obi-Wan had come so far, but Obi-Wan had changed. But then Qui-Gon had changed as well.

No, there was no going back Qui-Gon thought with a sudden pang. The death of his former padawan, Xanatos had seen to that. In recent days it seemed to color all of his actions. Memories of Xanatos as a promising, eager young boy haunted Qui-Gon as they had not done in years. He raged against the loss. Xanatos had been a bright spot in Qui-Gon?s life, before he had turned.

Before I hunted him down and killed him, Qui-Gon thought bitterly.

Xanatos? betrayal had cost him; it had taken him to the edge of his endurance. He had survived, he had buried the pain and the guilt and continued down the path that had always been his life. He had even thought it was behind him when the bond with his new padawan, Obi-Wan, had tentatively started to grow.

But the old feelings would not let go. They had resurfaced on Melida/Daan and had almost caused a permanent rift between himself and Obi-Wan. It was his fear that drove him. He could not face such a loss again. So Qui-Gon steeled himself against the future and drove Obi-Wan to the point of exhaustion. He knew it made no sense, control was just an illusion. And he could feel Obi-Wan?s growing confusion and self doubt brought on by his actions.

Ah, it all makes sense, now...you can truly understand Qui's motivations - and it's clear he truly recognizes what drove Obi to his actions on Melida/Daan.

Tahl, as always, is wonderful.

?But it is, Qui-Gon,? Tahl said, serious again. ?What if you are doing more harm than good. Obi-Wan?s trust in you is essential to your ability to protect him. Have you thought of what your demands may be doing to that trust??

Tahl sighed, ?It would be different if he were officially your padawan. Do you have any idea when his probation will end??

?I have left that up to the Council, it makes little difference to me when they decide,? Qui-Gon said with a slightly defiant note in his voice.

?But don?t you see, old friend, it makes all the difference to Obi-Wan,? Tahl finished gently.

That is getting to the root of the problem in a nutshell (mixed metaphor,!).

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    At least Tahl is being a good friend. Qui needs one, especially to tell him when he's wrong. Poor Obi-Wan, probably confused and exhausted and wondering if he'd ever have Qui's regard again.

?I will prepare Obi-Wan as I see fit, ? Qui-Gon said not taking up her tone. ?And that is no one?s business but my own.?

?But it is, Qui-Gon,? Tahl said, serious again. ?What if you are doing more harm than good. Obi-Wan?s trust in you is essential to your ability to protect him. Have you thought of what your demands may be doing to that trust??

Tahl sighed, ?It would be different if he were officially your padawan. Do you have any idea when his probation will end??

?I have left that up to the Council, it makes little difference to me when they decide,? Qui-Gon said with a slightly defiant note in his voice.

?But don?t you see, old friend, it makes all the difference to Obi-Wan,? Tahl finished gently.

Great job.

13. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    Thanks for the PM!

I have to say Qui is right and not right, and a sensitive insensitive person... he can see much... but is a blind man when it comes to some of his unofficial padawan1s needs... thankfully Tahl can make him see... she is a wonderful person and I am certain very treasured bu her friends... to think that this ordeal miht have dirven them closer before her death is very bittersweet....

14. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Lovely update.=D=

Qui-Gon is setting Obi-Wan up for a fall if he doesn't ease up on him.
    Words from his peers can hurt, and his confidence is at an all time low.

Qui-Gon should stop seeing Xanatos and see Obi-Wan.[face_shame_on_you]
    I hope he listens to Tahl.

15. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    *bangs Qui-Gon over the head with a stick* Obi-Wan is NOT Xani *glare* Stupid Qui-Gon!

I hope he listens to Tahl, for the sake of Obi-Wan and himself. If not he will probably destroy their relationship¡Kor what is left of it. I just Qui-Gon sets things right before Obi really does end up at the healer. However you know our Obi, he just LOVES ending up in the healers >.< I did like the ending line it brings the true problem to light.

Beautiful update, I am looking forward to more Jinn/Kenobi interactions. Cannot wait for more~!

Uppidy up up ?º

16. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    Valairy_Scot ? Thanks for reading. Yes, Tahl is always a good one for smacking Qui-Gon in the head.

dianethx ? Poor Obi-Wan indeed, but of course it is only going to get worse, well better for awhile, then worse.

ClaudiaR- Yes, for being so insightful, the man has some terrible blind spots. Thanks for reading.

Gkilkenny ? I hope he listens to Tahl too. But that would make for an awfully short story.

Ganki ? Easy on the stick there, girl, you might do some permanent damage. More interaction to come.

Don?t ask me to explain how my life became too busy to update a story that has already been written, but it did. Sorry for the delay.

This next little part was supposed to be on the end of the last post and I left it off by mistake.

Thank you all for reading.

17. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    &

Obi-Wan stretched himself out in the warm sun and closed his eyes. He let the soft sounds of the water and the smell of pine in the gentle breeze wash over him. The lake at the Jedi Temple was a peaceful place to relax and if he wasn?t careful he would soon be asleep. That wouldn?t look good for a struggling young Jedi student. Well at least the council could not accuse me of acting too impulsively, he thought.

He opened his eyes just briefly enough to see his friend Bant catch sight of him and hurry toward him. Obi-Wan closed his eyes again. He had seen the dark look on her face. Maybe if she thought he was asleep she would leave him alone. He was in no mood for the lectures she had suddenly developed a habit of doling out.

Bant stepped off the path, her feet moving swiftly and silently across the soft grass. She could tell even from a distance by the uneven rise and fall of Obi-Wan?s chest that he was not sleeping. She approached him and stood quietly beside him. She was just opening her mouth to say something when he spoke without opening his eyes, ?You of all people, Bant should know better to disturb me when I am practicing patience and preventing myself from performing rash acts.?

?How did you know I was here?? she exclaimed, disappointed.

?Silent your feet were, announced your arrival your anger did,? he said imitating Jedi master Yoda?s most reproving voice. Obi-Wan opened one eye to see her reaction and was only just quick enough to block her foot as she kicked him affectionately.

?Hey, take it easy. You?d think a Jedi dropout could get a little sympathy from his friends.?

The only thing that could anger his gentle friend was when he was down on himself. And he could tell he had hit a sensitive spot. Her next kick was a little less playful. But this time he was ready. He grabbed hold of her foot and while she was struggling for balance tried to pull her down on the grass beside him. She surprised him by twisting and breaking free of his hold. This time her boot came dangerously close to his head.

Obi-Wan twisted and rolled toward the water to avoid first one foot then the next, until he realized that was exactly what she intended. Once he was in the water it was over, in the water he would be no match for his amphibious friend. He was surprised by how much she had learned in the short time he had been gone. There was only one thing to do. .

?Ok, ok. I give up,? Obi-Wan exclaimed lying on his back with his arm extended in what he hoped was a sign of peace. Bant considered him warily for a minute then ignoring his outstretched hand she threw herself on the grass beside him.

?I don?t know who frustrates me more, you or that stubborn master of yours,? Bant said, exasperated, twisting a blade of grass between her fingers.

So it?s Qui-Gon today, Obi-Wan thought. He almost preferred it when she lectured him on his own faults. He wondered for a moment why he bore the brunt of both Qui-Gon?s faults and his own. Maybe he would suggest she take it up with the Jedi master.

?You?re exhausted,? Bant said, looking him over critically.

He straightened his shoulders and looked her obstinately in the eye. His defiance melted however when he saw the look of real concern in her large gentle eyes. ?I am alright really, Bant. I am just a little tired.?

?Qui-Gon works you too hard and you should tell him so, ?she said gently.

Obi-Wan looked away.

?Well someone should, ?she said angrily. Obi-Wan looked at her in alarm, what had she done?

?I saw him earlier, but I didn?t say anything,? Bant said reassuringly. ?But you must promise me you will talk to him, Obi-Wan or I will.?

Obi-Wan was quiet for a moment. ?It is not that simple, Bant. You don?t understand,? he said at last.

?You trust him don?t you? It should be as simple as that.?

&

18. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    Chapter 3

It was late afternoon when Qui-Gon signaled Obi-Wan on his comlink to meet him in one of the senior student training facilities for sparring practice.

Qui-Gon had made an almost daily habit of meeting to spar at the same time each day since they had returned to the Temple. This was Obi-Wan?s favorite part of the day. He had always excelled at saber practice as a student and under Qui-Gon?s tutelage he had made real progress.

Obi-Wan loved the power and grace of the light saber and the feel of it in his hand. He could not imagine giving it up. But give it up he had. The light saber was a Jedi weapon, and he had surrendered his to Qui-Gon when he had forsaken his training. Obi-Wan shuddered remembering that horrible moment.

It was hard to think about the mistakes he had made, but they had taught him one thing. He wanted to be a Jedi more than anything. He had new resolve. He would prove his commitment to the Council, and he would do whatever it took to win Qui-Gon?s approval again.

Obi-Wan looked around the room as he entered. There were several senior students in the practice room. Obi-Wan was not surprised. Qui-Gon was known for his prowess with a light saber, even among Jedi knights and many students came to watch his technique.

Siri Tachi was there working with Jedi Master, Adi Gallia. Siri had been in several of Obi-Wan?s light saber classes when he had been a student. She was younger than Obi-Wan, but a good fighter, quick and sure of herself. It was rumored that the Council member, Adi Gallia, was considering her for a padawan. Obi-Wan nodded a greeting which Siri acknowledged with the slightest head movement in return. She had been cool toward Obi-Wan ever since he had returned from Melida/Daan.

?I see you are well rested,? Qui-Gon said as he approached. ?I shall look forward to a challenging duel.?

?I would be even more so, if Bant had not tried to push me into the lake,? Obi-Wan said with a grin.

Qui-Gon raised one eyebrow in surprise and gave Obi-Wan a questioning look. ?It appears we have both done something to make our young friend unhappy.?

Obi-Wan looked up but quickly looked away, knowing that Qui-Gon would read the panic on his face. What had Bant said! Obi-Wan quickly took a starting position and bowed to Qui-Gon hoping to distract his master from his agitation.

Qui-Gon bowed in return, but he was watchful as they began their practice. He had seen the turmoil of emotions on Obi-Wan?s face. As they began the exercise, the truth in Tahl?s words struck him and he sighed out loud. It could be tiresome to have a friend who was always right. It is a wise man who surrounds himself with much wisdom, he repeated the Jedi saying to himself with a wry smile.

The hiss of a blade swinging past his ear forced Qui-Gon to bring his focus back to the moment. Obi-Wan was fighting well. Qui-Gon had started the match with a classic attack that he knew Obi-Wan had studied as a student, but Obi-Wan?s response was not the defense they taught the young Jedi students.

The attack involved a series of fast blows at your opponent in sweeping side to side motions. The Jedi students were taught to block each blow and wait for an opening as it was difficult for an adversary to keep up the constant onslaught.

But Obi-Wan was well aware of Qui-Gon?s stamina, the Jedi master would not tire or make a mistake. Instead of the defensive blocking technique he had been taught, Obi-Wan jumped high to avoid each assault. This kept his ligthsaber free to attack, which he did by slashing at Qui-Gon?s head each time he jumped.

Qui-Gon threw himself into the exercise. He was impressed with Obi-Wan?s strategy, but he quickly saw a weakness. As Obi-Wan had to jump to avoid the blows, it was fairly easy to maneuver Obi-Wan into a position that was impossible to defend and dangerously open to attack. A mistake that might get the boy killed in a real battle, a mistake that Qui-Gon would teach him not to make again.

The duel contin

19. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    Well, let's just move things along...

Chapter 4

Yoda was not hard to find. The learned Jedi Master could usually be found in the Room of a Thousand Fountains towards the late afternoon if his otherwise daunting schedule allowed it. Yoda was standing close to the water with his face turned upward and slightly to one side, his large eyes partially closed. The mist of the water surrounding him like an aura.

Qui-Gon hesitated to disturb him and had almost decided to leave when Yoda spoke without opening his eyes. ?Your padawan Obi-Wan cannot be, if Jedi he is not.?

Had he really hoped to escape before the Council learned of his transgression? Well, the disapproval of the Council was nothing new.

?Agreed to wait you did,? Yoda said gruffly as he turned and shuffled toward Qui-Gon leaning heavily on his walking stick.

Qui-Gon suppressed a sigh. This seemed to be a subject they were constantly at odds with. Qui-Gon had initially refused to accept Obi-Wan as his padawan, despite Yoda?s urging. Yoda had admonished him for his treatment of Obi-Wan when Obi-Wan had disobeyed Qui-Gon and remained on Melida/Daan. But when Qui-Gon had come to terms with that decision and hoped to rebuild his relationship with Obi-Wan, Master Yoda had asked him to wait.

Despite his reputation for defiance, Qui-Gon had the greatest respect for the wisdom of Yoda and the Council. Many times he had been guided by their counsel. He had deferred to their wishes, trusting in their knowledge and insight. He willingly let himself be led. Except when the Force told him otherwise.

The Force spoke a language to Qui-Gon that went beyond the reason and compassionate direction of the Council. It spoke directly to his heart and when the Force called, Qui-Gon followed, with or without the Council?s approval. Over the years Qui-Gon had become famous for what was seen as his willful disobedience, for the times he had openly defied the orders of the Council. He hoped this would not have to be one of those times.

?Years ago I settled a trade dispute on the moons of Fenyali X,? Qui-Gon began, knowing better than to try to argue with the Jedi master. ?The governor of the largest moon has asked me to return and help with a domestic matter. He has not made an official request to the Council because of political protocol, but has contacted me directly to request Jedi presence in overseeing some security measures.?

?I respect your opinion and the wisdom of the Council,? Qui-Gon said, squatting to level himself with the tiny Jedi master and leaning back on his heals. ?But there is much distraction here at the Temple. Some time away will help Obi-Wan to re-focus. I came to ask your permission to take Obi-Wan and travel to Fenyali.?

Yoda gave a loud snort. ?To do as you please in the past, thought our permission necessary you have not.?

?I ask for Obi-Wan, as he is not mine to command,? Qui-Gon replied mildly.

?Keep Obi-Wan from following you on your hunt for Xanatos, we could not,? Yoda said, irritation showing in his large hooded eyes. ?Much progress he has made, but wonder I do. Obey or follow will he, if withheld our consent is??

Yoda gave Qui-Gon a penetrating look, but his tone softened. ?Not an easy journey this,? he said gently. ?Succeed you will no doubt, if patient you are.?

?Patience from you, we had hoped your young padawan would learn. Rashness you have learned instead I fear. Run from your problems you cannot. Follow you, they will.?

He waived his stick at Qui-Gon in a dismissive gesture, ?Go, and may the Force be with you. Stop you I will not, but more to this than meets the eye there is,? Yoda warned. ?Take care Qui-Gon, for ready you and Obi-Wan must be, and ready you are not.?

Yoda turned without waiting for a response and shuffled down the path shaking his head and grunting loudly as if the journey was an effort.

Qui-Gon bowed to the retreating master?s back and smiling grimly to himself as he watched Yoda walk away. He knew the Jedi Master inten

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    At last, he's taking Tahl's advice and letting Obi-Wan know how he feels about their relationship, the Council be damned.

I loved this.

Qui-Gon glanced around the room as if seeing the onlookers for the first time and Tahl?s words came back to him. This had gone on long enough he thought angrily.

?Well fought, Padawan,? Qui-Gon?s voice pitched loud enough to fill the large practice room.

The white light of joy across the bond he shared with Obi-Wan stopped him momentarily, stunned. Surely Obi-Wan had known.

I'm so glad that Qui was willing to defy the Council. Lovely job.

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Obi-Wan bowed low, his face was red from more than exertion. He looked up, but did not meet Qui-Gon?s gaze.

There was no reason for shame, Qui-Gon thought in frustration, Obi-Wan had fought well.

Qui-Gon glanced around the room as if seeing the onlookers for the first time and Tahl?s words came back to him. This had gone on long enough he thought angrily.

?Well fought, Padawan,? Qui-Gon?s voice pitched loud enough to fill the large practice room.

The white light of joy across the bond he shared with Obi-Wan stopped him momentarily, stunned. Surely Obi-Wan had known.

About time...but Yoda's words worry me. Not so good times ahead, I sense.

22. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    I love stories about young Obi-Wan=D=

He waived his stick at Qui-Gon in a dismissive gesture, ?Go, and may the Force be with you. Stop you I will not, but more to this than meets the eye there is,? Yoda warned. ?Take care Qui-Gon, for ready you and Obi-Wan must be, and ready you are not.?

What Yoda says sounds very ominous"ready you are not"[face_worried]

What is going to happen ..[face_thinking]

excellent post.=D=

23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Read this today and it is beautiful. Will you PM me if you update?@};-

24. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    What he said.

Your prose flows so nicely, just a delight to read. And I love the psychological and character insights that fill this story. This was your first fic? Holy[face_cow]!

So Obi-Wan persevered, he followed without question as a padawan should. He did as he was asked without complaint. When he thought he had reached his limit he reached deep inside himself and found a reserve of energy and drive that he never knew he possessed.

Lovely portrait of Obi-Wan's nature and his devotion.

And when he could finally look without anger at the images in his mind Qui-Gon saw something that pulled at his heart. He saw all that he had missed before. He no longer saw the hard face of defiance and betrayal, in its place he saw only Obi-Wan's brave determination, his willingness to fight to build a better future for his friends, and the selfless passion for good that had driven the young Jedi to his desperate act.

Oh, wow.

Was the knowledge of his death any worse than the pain of knowing what the bright young boy had become? Xanatos' death brought new agony because although he would admit it to no one, Qui-Gon had secretly nurtured a slender thread of hope. Hope that the boy he had loved was not lost forever.

This is a recurring theme in the GFFA, isn't it? Beautifully referenced, not to mention a very affecting portrait of Qui-Gon

Tahl is awesome! She gets right to the point, packing huge punch with just a few words.

Her voice softened. "I know you old friend. I know you have a reason for what you are doing. But when you are young, it is hard not to be swayed by what those around you are saying."

"Like Bant?"he asked.

Tahl shook her head. "Like Obi-Wan."

... ... ...

"He is headstrong and will take risks. I cannot always be there to protect him," Qui-Gon started. "He has little regard for his own safety when others are in danger."

"Are we talking about Obi-Wan or about you?" Tahl queried wryly.

... ... ...

"So you have learned there is more than one way to lose a padawan,"

... ... ...

"I have left that up to the Council, it makes little difference to me when they decide," Qui-Gon said with a slightly defiant note in his voice.

"But don't you see, old friend, it makes all the difference to Obi-Wan," Tahl finished gently.

This kind of writing is not easy to do (at least I don't find it easy) Bravo.=D=

And Bant is no slouch either:

"It is not that simple, Bant. You don't understand," [Obi-Wan] said at last.

"You trust him don't you? It should be as simple as that."

Wow. Just, wow.

Tahl & Bant are your voices of wisdom, aren't they?

"Well fought, Padawan," Qui-Gon's voice pitched loud enough to fill the large practice room.

The white light of joy across the bond he shared with Obi-Wan stopped him momentarily, stunned.

That really got me. *wipes eyes*

Yoda was standing close to the water with his face turned upward and slightly to one side, his large eyes partially closed. The mist of the water surrounding him like an aura.

Beautiful image, just beautiful. I could almost feel the water on my own face.

Qui-Gon took a deep breath and gathered the Force around him. He let go of the past, his sorrow and his anger. He wrapped his unease and anxiety for the future around him like a blanket, he let it envelop him for a moment and then gently let it fall away. He reached out to the water, the plants, even the dirt and the rocks, each almost painfully beautiful in detail and purpose when lit by the Force. Qui-Gon surrendered himself to the peace of the Force.

Wow, you beautifully, vividly captured the spiritual act of letting go, *bows respectfully*

Please PM me when you update:)

25. Nimloth

Nimloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2007
    Liked a lot your last posts!=D=

Despite his reputation for defiance, Qui-Gon had the greatest respect for the wisdom of Yoda and the Council. Many times he had been guided by their counsel. He had deferred to their wishes, trusting in their knowledge and insight. He willingly let himself be led. Except when the Force told him otherwise.

That was very interesting, I think that being so absolutely jedi himself, Qui-Gon cannot be always at odds with the Council, as is so frequently depicted.

Well, it´s kind of worrying this sentence, isn´t it? [face_worried] What troubles are waiting for them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.