main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends One Path (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Oc's) Updated 5/18

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by azizah, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Your discription of the moonlight and sunset is beautiful
    I am sure this new path will in some way bring him closer to
    Obi-Wan and help the people too.

Excellent.=D=

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    So Qui-Gon was drawn to the place, not by Obi-Wan but by the Force in order to help the people. However, once he goes in there, he can't come out again. Leaving Obi-Wan to his fate.

It all was clear to him now. Perfectly clear. It was not his padawan he was destined to find. This man, these people, needed his help. For no other reason had he been called here, to this time, to this place.

The will of the Force was clear and his path decided, but that did not make it any less painful. Again to choose the Force at the expense of a beloved padawan!

He could find no other way. There were many Jedi who would willingly volunteer for the mission of delivering the power core, even if it meant certain death by disease. But there was just not enough time. He was the obvious choice and the only choice. The fate of many people depended on him.

But what of Obi-Wan? To what fate was he abandoning his young apprentice? Would he be haunted by the boy?s face just as the young governor was haunted?

However, I wonder if Obi isn't on the same moon that Qui is going to?

Good job.

3. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Valairy_Scot ? thanks for your review, and I totally agree with your observation, definitive answers are rare.

earlybird-obi-wan ? Thanks for reading, no more cliffies, at least for awhile

ratna ? Colorful review :) Thank you so much. Yes, the Force will bring him home. (I like that)

Cole_Kenobi ? Thank you.

GKilkenny ? Thank you.

Dianethx ? Thanks for reading. Of course you have guessed correctly.

What a loyal group of readers, and you all have seen the truth even though Qui-Gon missed it. What a dunderhead!

4. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    &

Qui-Gon moved silently and quickly through the tropical forest. The night air was warm and thick with moisture, the overgrown foliage around him dripped incessantly. In the dampness his hair and clothes clung uncomfortably but he barely noticed, concentrating instead on his objective. His feet moved automatically through the tall wet grass.

He stopped momentarily to listen, but could hear nothing except the dripping water, the rustling movements unseen woodland creatures, and his own labored breathing. He carefully re-shouldered the pack containing the power supply, a device about the weight of a small human, but small and compact, less unwieldy, and took a moment to catch his breath. The heavy air was close and oppressive.

He had to stop himself from reflecting on the events of the last few hours that had brought him to this place. There was danger here, that demanded his full attention.

Governor Jorlan had arranged everything quickly and seamlessly. The governor was a man used to being obeyed. A message had been sent to the Jedi Temple, but Qui-Gon did not wait for the reply. A small but maneuverable ship was fueled and loaded in minutes. Jorlan, after barking out orders to scurrying service technicians, had stood uncertainly by the loading ramp, a man not usually at a loss for words.

?I give you my word that I will do everything in my power to help the Jedi find your apprentice, Qui-Gon. My people owe you at least that much.?

Qui-Gon put a hand on the man?s shoulder. ?I know you will do what you can and I am grateful. May the Force be with you.? And without looking back he had boarded the ship and prepared for departure.

Navigating the ion field had been relatively easy, for a Jedi. It had seemed but a moment in the Force and he was through. His ship had suffered some minor damage to the propulsion system making for a difficult landing, farther from his destination then he had intended.

He had been forced to land in a small clearing surrounded by a lush forest. He knew that the medical facility was on top of a ridge at the edge of the forest. He could reach it in an hour of hard walking followed by a short but dangerous climb.

It would have been safer to wait in the ship until daybreak before climbing the rough terrain up to the medical facility, but Qui-Gon did not even consider it. He had surrendered much to the will of the Force in this and he was determined to see it through.

He easily recalled the holographic map of the moon he had studied briefly while waiting for the ship to be prepared on Scolia. He could avoid the climb by using a more circuitous route, but it would take almost a full day to cover the distance.

He had come this far trusting the Force, undue caution seemed pointless.

The wood was full of life, he could sense the cautious minds many small creatures as they moved in unnatural silence about the forest floor. Nature?s defense against the fierce predator whose territory they shared, he supposed. Qui-Gon was almost half way through the wood before he sensed the Bala. Their presence pervaded the forest like a foul smell, full of evil viciousness that went beyond the instinct to survive. It brought the taste of blood to his mouth.

Qui-Gon moved more cautiously, using the Force to dampen the sound of his footsteps and dispersing his presence throughout the living Force of the forest and its creatures.

Time seemed a contract into a single moment, replayed again and again, made up entirely of the steady drip of water, the regular movement of his legs, and the unrelieved background of twisted vines and sodden leaves blocking his way through.

At last Qui-Gon came to the edge of the wood and paused. The dark sky opening up before him was a relief from the dense foliage that seemed to press at him from all sides. The subtle change in the sky?s hue from black to deep purple suggested the approaching dawn.

There was a small open area to cross before he could begin his climb up the jagged rock to reach the medical facility on the top of the ridge. He considered

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I have to admit I read this over at FF where it's further along, so it's hard to comment without giving away your story to those who haven't read it yet.

I love the way your story flows so effortlessly.

A frenzy of muscle, teeth and fur.

-and-

He leapt high into the air, landed clear of the pack and took off at a dead run, fur and fury at his heals.

You do a wonderful job of painting a picture with your words.

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    OOF that was a lot of action and now Qui-Gon being hunted. Look out Qui:eek:

7. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    wow, u r SMOKIN'!

Action sequences just ROCK!

I liked best of all how the cliff kept crumbling out from under Qui-Gon as he climbed it. That seemed so like a nightmare, and so symbolic in a way, too.

So, if Obi-Wan and the girl aren't IN the compound.... where ARE they.....? (besides in trouble, that is:p )

=D= =D=

8. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Your language is really quite lovely. You paint a great picture with words so that we can feel Qui-Gon's anxiety, the drip of moisture, the smell of smoke.

Great job with this.

9. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Awesome update! =D= I love Qui-gon's determination. You write action sequences so superbly! I could just picture him with ease.

Great job! Thank you for the update and the PM! :D

10. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    Valairy_Scot ? There is more over at ff.net, but my plan is to catch it up here quickly and then post the rest. ?flows effortlessly? was a great compliment for me, thank you, it is something I need to work on.

earlybird-obi-wan ? more action to come. Thanks for reading.

ratna ? You made me laugh. Thanks for reading.

dianethx
    - Thank you.

Cole_Kenobi ? Thanks for reading.:D

11. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    Qui-Gon ran without thought or awareness, allowing the Force to lead him. It was not far. He had managed to put some distance himself and the Bala when he suddenly came upon the field. His steps faltering slightly as he took in the scene.

The savage creatures had surrounded Obi-Wan and the girl, forcing them back against the distorted hull of their ship. Obi-Wan?s face was intent as he swung his light saber from side to side trying to drive back the beasts. It was a stream against a flood.

Qui-Gon allowed his gaze to remain on his padawan for a long moment. Relief was powerful and sweet as it swept over him, stalling only at the sight of the twisted wreckage of the spacecraft. He forced his mind elsewhere, Jedi did not dwell on what might have been. His eyes traveled back to his apprentice.

His padawan was alive, but in serious trouble as he struggled to defend himself and the girl against the furious attack of the relentless Bala. And Obi-Wan was badly injured. A look told him much, but Qui-Gon needed to know more.

The bond he had once shared with his padawan was an uncertain thing. The constant steady light that had once bound them together had been reduced to a glimmer, occasionally flaring to brilliance only to fade again to darkness. The damage inflicted by still too recent events and emotions difficult to define, would not mend. Now despite Qui-Gon?s efforts, the bond remained dark and frustratingly silent, faint awareness and distant pain, nothing more.

Frustration and uncertainty turned his relief into fear. Anger easily followed. Anger at himself for the many mistakes he had made, for allowing Obi-Wan to face the danger alone, for turning an innocent boy?s trust to doubt, for rushing headlong into danger before they were ready, with so much between them still unresolved.

Qui-Gon pushed the anger back. He could not remake the past, and the Force had given him new hope for the future. The future will be different, he told himself with firm resolve. But not, the thought came horrible and unbidden, if Obi-Wan were to die.

Qui-Gon gathered the dispersed energy of the Force from all around him and narrowed its focus on the boy. Reassurance came in a heartbeat. Obi-Wan?s injury was grave, but he would recover if treated soon. Qui-Gon found he could breathe again. The Force had not allowed him to come this far only to watch his padawan die.

The compelling intensity of Qui-Gon?s regard had a pull like a magnet for his padawan. Obi-Wan turned instinctively toward his master, eyes alight with pleasure and relief, dangerously distracted.

Smelling opportunity, the creatures lunged forward and Obi-Wan had to move quickly to fend them off. The young Jedi fought tenaciously, but his inexperience and injury were telling, and it was only a matter of time before he would make a costly mistake. He was tiring and could not hold off the beasts much longer.

Qui-Gon wasted no more time. He closed the distance between them with a running leap, landing amidst deadly teeth and powerful snapping jaws. The Bala lunged and with sweep of his hand, he propelled them back. Deterred for only moments, the angry snarling beasts circled back then crept forward, preparing to strike at its prey yet again. Qui-Gon positioned himself between his apprentice and the danger. Then with the easy power of a Jedi master, he stepped into the attack and began to drive the creatures back.

To Obi-Wan time seemed to stand still. His exhaustion dissolved and he was light headed with relief. His master had come. All would be well.

Obi-Wan stepped up to his master?s side and fell easily into rhythm with Qui-Gon?s wide sweeping strokes. Together with their backs to the ship they formed a protective circle around Eiva. There was a unity in their movement even as they moved apart, one took up where the other left off, no motion wasted.

They fought together, just as they had fought that first time on that fateful trip to Bandomeer, not really so long ago. The Force flowed between them and they moved with steady purpose and pure inte

12. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Wow!!! What an AWESOME reunion!

Action!
    Obi-Wan stepped up to his master's side and fell easily into rhythm with Qui-Gon's wide sweeping strokes. Together with their backs to the ship they formed a protective circle around Eiva. There was a unity in their movement even as they moved apart, one took up where the other left off, no motion wasted.

They fought together, just as they had fought that first time on that fateful trip to Bandomeer, not really so long ago. The Force flowed between them and they moved with steady purpose and pure intention. The intensity of the battle left no room for other emotions.

Suddenly their bond was a live current, light and energy flowed between them. Obi-Wan could envision his master's every move like a pattern of woven thread in the Force. The onslaught continued in waves, a terrible raging current of savage deadly force.

Bodies piled up around where Obi-Wan stood, knee deep in blood and gore. A fleeting vision of draigons was banished quickly, as was his horror at the massacre, the violence and death. There was no time for thought, time and motion flowed together, the Force swirling around them.

Emotion!
    Obi-Wan thought it must be a trick of the light on Qui-Gon's face. He had never seen his master at such peace.

Qui-Gon opened his eyes. They were warm and full of light and concern.

"Are you all right, my padawan?"

"I am now, Master. Thank you for saving me." Emotions as varied and pure as light radiated from the Obi-Wan's young face. Joy, trust, gratitude, conviction.

Veritas!
    Obi-Wan looked up expectantly and his gaze was held by the look on his master's face. A look that told his student, listen well, this is important. This is what I have to teach you.

"The Force saved you Obi-Wan." His touch was light on Obi-Wan's face as he held it turned toward him, the weight of his conviction in every word.

"The Force saved us both, padawan."

and the One Path.
    The sight of his padawan's face bathed in the morning light looking at him with such certainty was a moment of revelation in a day of revelations. Of what he felt in this moment he could always be certain.

The way was laid before him with blinding clarity and he would not turn from the path, he had not desire to. Obi-Wan was his destiny, his future, and his legacy. The Force had made sure of that.

That just brought tears to my eyes. So beautifully stated. The whole post was beautiful, from start to finish!

Great writing, azizah!

13. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Amazing, they have found each other,
    I am so happy.[face_dancing] Now they have to get out of there.[face_worried]

Well done=D=

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    What a beautiful update Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon together again Yippee=D==D==D=

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Great action piece. I liked how it sounded a little like Jude Watson's action with Obi and Qui - very intense and yet they worked together in perfect unison.

LOved this visual.

Qui-Gon was kneeling as well, his posture not quite one of meditation. His eyes were closed and his face was turned toward the rising sun. His tunic was dirty and torn, exposing his powerful chest and arms, raw and bloody from battle and covered in grime. His battle scared face was black with soot and spattered with blood, except where lines of sweat had washed it clean. Not the traditional staid image of a Jedi, and yet to Obi-Wan his master had never looked more the Jedi. In the sunlight he was strangely illuminated, his face radiating a pure white stillness at odds with the carnage around him.

Great job

16. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    ratna - You really are a gem. Your reviews make my day.

Gkilkenny
    ? Yes, they do need to get out of there, but it might take awhile. Thanks for reading.

Earlybird-obi-wan - Yes, I am glad they are finally together, because those are my favorite parts to write. Thanks for reading.

dianethx - Thank you, it means a lot to me.

17. azizah

Sep 4, 2006

&

The journey back to the medical clinic was an agonizing one. They moved slowly and unsteadily over ground Qui-Gon had covered quickly and easily the night before.

It was difficult for Obi-Wan to walk on his wounded leg, but with indignant stubbornness, typical of a thirteen year old, he refused to be carried.

Qui-Gon, sensing the boy?s determination, reluctantly gave in despite his better judgment. So they struggled along, with Obi-Wan leaning heavily on his master and Eiva following silently behind.

The morning was bright and clear, the terrors of the night washed away by the vivid blue sky and clean fragrant air. The forest and fields were quick to come to life in the daylight.

It started with the plaintive notes of a lone songbird at dawn, building slowly until the morning air was filled with a hum of activity. Flowers burst open in spectacular displays of color. Small swift birds darted between the blossoms and shrill buzzing insects drifted lazily from bloom to bloom. All around, life that had lay shuttered and hidden in the darkness unfurled to revel in the warmth and light, stretching and turning toward the sun.

Eiva and the Jedi continued their painstaking journey, the beauty around them unnoticed. Each agonizing step demanded Obi-Wan?s full attention as he limped along at Qui-Gon?s side. Eiva, shaken and subdued since the attack, was deep in her own private world. She kept her eyes on the ground as she walked and had not spoken a word all morning. Qui-Gon saw only the weary slump of Obi-Wan?s shoulders and heard nothing beyond the ragged breathing of his apprentice.

The sun was high in the sky when at last they reached the gates of the compound. They were met at the entrance by a lone medical attendant, who stood gaping at them in shocked surprise. He could not seem to comprehend any of the words that Qui-Gon said or the Jedi knight?s patient explanation and urgent request for help. He stared at them dumbly.

There was little shelter from the oppressive heat as the midday sun beat down on them and Qui-Gon did not need the additional pull on his arm to know that Obi-Wan was close to being overcome.

He had had enough. Without another word, he easily lifted his protesting apprentice into his arms and strode impatiently past the man at the gate. He carried Obi-Wan into the first building he found, barking out commands with a look and a tone that few would be foolish enough to ignore.

?Bacta,? He roared. ?Get a healer, now!? Qui-Gon turned and locked eyes with the man, making sure his intent could not be misunderstood.

The man took off at a dead run, moving faster than he ever had in his life.

Inside they found themselves in a large open room, unbearably warm and bright as heat from the noon sun radiated through uncovered windows. It appeared to be some kind of examination room, storage cabinets and medical equipment along the walls, an empty Bacta tank in the corner, and chairs and a table in the center of the room.

Qui-Gon lowered Obi-Wan into a chair as gently as he could. He made no effort to shield himself from the fresh wave of pain flooding the bond as a result of the jarring movement. After so much silence, it was almost beautiful in its intensity. He drew the pain to him, allowing it to flow unchecked and held it for a moment, acknowledging its purpose and necessity. Gradually the edges softened and the sharp lines blurred, its power finally subdued so that with nothing more than a gentle push he was able to release it back to the Force.

No Jedi knight is a stranger to physical pain. Qui-Gon had suffered his share, more so than most, but it had long ago lost its power over him. He had learned from hard experience that it was useless to fight the pain, it too drew its power from the limitless Force. It was better to accept the pain and with time he had learned to let it flow through him, back to the Force from which it had come.

Over the years he had become adept at dealing with pain, his reaction second nature and yet now he performed it slowly and purposefully

18. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

excellent post,=D= and at least Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan
    are together no matter what happens.[face_dancing]

19. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    At least the two of them are together and Eiva finally realizes just what she has done. Loved the pondering that Obi-Wan goes through. Not that he wants to die but that his Master is going to die, too, just horrifies him.

Great job.

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The next wave was a thermal detonation destroying all that was precious to Obi-Wan. His master had come here to rescue him, knowing he would die.

Obi-Wan stared at the floor battling the emotions that threatened to engulf him, if he could just clear his head and think logically he could make sense of all this. He needed time to think. None of this could be happening; it was all just some big mistake.

Think, think, think he told himself, but in truth he was trying hard not to think. He could not allow his fragmented thoughts to settle into understanding and become the hard unchangeable knowledge of what he had caused.

Qui-Gon, his master who had given him everything, was going to die and it was all his fault. His master, who had given him his last chance to fulfill his dreams, and then when Obi-Wan had messed that up, had given him another. Qui-Gon, who was wise and strong and good, and now all of that wisdom and strength and goodness was going to be destroyed because of his foolishness.

?Obi-Wan look at me.? Qui-Gon was suddenly by his side, both hands gripping his padwan?s shoulders, he spoke softly but in a tone that expected obedience.

Obi-Wan could not look up. He was not afraid of his master?s anger, he knew his master would offer nothing but understanding and compassion. He knew that Qui-Gon would never blame him and that was almost the worst part. Obi-Wan did not think he could bear to see pity in his master?s eyes. Not now. Not ever. He kept his eyes firmly on the floor.

Undeterred, Qui-Gon put his hand under Obi-Wan?s chin and gently but firmly forced the boy?s face upward.

?Padawan.? The tone alone was an order, and could not be ignored.

Obi-Wan immediately raised his down-turned eyes at the command. Once he looked up he found he could not look away. In his master?s face he had found the calm center to the storm of emotions he struggled to contain.

The Jedi master watched with difficulty the turmoil in his young student?s face, and easily heard the unspoken cry for help. For a moment the pain and uncertainty in Obi-Wan?s young face took the older man?s breath away. All of his carefully planned words caught in his throat, and Qui-Gon had to stop and take a breath, trying hard to recapture the serenity of the morning.

They would get through this, Qui-Gon was certain of it. His faith in the Force was strong, but he could well understand his padawan?s doubt. To be a Jedi meant to believe against all logic and reason, to accept as certainty what others knew to be impossible. It was a great deal to ask of one so young, one who had already been through so much, but the boy had strength he had not even begun to understand.

?Obi-Wan, do you remember what I told you this morning??

Obi-Wan tried to speak but his voice failed him. He quickly nodded his head, careful not to break eye contact. It was safe here. To look away meant danger and doubt, he did not ever want to look away.

?Do you believe it was the will of the Force that brought us here, that saved us??

Again Obi-Wan could only nod.

?Nothing has changed, padawan. Do not doubt what you believe.?

Obi-Wan swallowed hard and took a deep breath, straightening his shoulders. He would not surrender to his fear and doubt. He wanted to believe. He could feel the strength of his master?s conviction and tried desperately to find the same certainty within himself.

It was hard to think of his own death, the end of everything he had worked so hard to achieve, the end of his dreams. But if it was the will of the Force, so be it. To be a Jedi was to accept the will of the Force with dignity and courage even if it meant certain death.

But the death of his master. Everything in him rebelled against it. His own death was insignificant in the grand scheme of the galaxy, but his master was a great man and a powerful Jedi, his death would leave a void that nothing could make whole again. Surely the Force would not demand such a sacrifice.

How was he to accept the will of the Force if it meant that all of his

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved the update and Obi and Qui being together. They have to be alright.[face_praying]

22. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    This story is really awsome! They HAVE to be alright!! [face_worried]

23. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Rereading these chapters have made me realize how much to truly love this story and how talented a writer you are! This story is just brillant! The descriptions, imageriny, and the dialouge is just awesome. One line that always gets me is, "Children. You brought children here." Just the magnitude of what that entales. If I was the healer I would be just as shocked and have mixed feelings of Qui-gon and the Jedi.

Awesome job!
    Thanks!

24. Nimloth

Nimloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2007
    The story is really great.:)

I´m rereading the chapters as you post them here, even though I went farther before, in the other site, and all I can say is that I´m absolutely craving for more updates![face_hypnotized]

Good work! =D=

25. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Good work.

Please PM me when you update this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.