main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN One Ring to Rule Them All, and One Thread to Talk About Them

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TC517, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I know we have some interest in the Lord of the Rings, so here we can discuss it. Since the new movie is coming out in December and we might have a DVD event of some sort in the next few weeks, I thought we could have one big post.

So, any ideas for a DVD event on August 6th? I was thinking some sort of group gathering at super wal-mart and maybe find somewhere to watch our new "precious." If someone would allow us in thier house, we could watch it there. If not, we would have to find somewhere that has at least a TV.

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I've got one more chapter to go and I'll have finally finished reading LOTR...can't believe I've never read it until now. Actually, I can't believe there's already 3 planned verisons of this DVD...well, 2 actually...the boring one that's out in Aug, then the 4-disc SE one in Nov along with the Super-SE that has the Natl. Geo. Documentary & some figures & trading cards included. I really, really hate when studios drop SE of movies on us unannounced...so I'm a little happy to know to hold onto my money until Nov.

3. TC517

May 14, 2001
    What a coincidence, I am just reading LotR now too. I read the Hobbit a few years ago but never got around to the others. I started reading the first one at celebration, and I'm slowing making my way through it.

4. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Before FOTR came out I decided to read the Hobbit...watched the movie, loved it, asked for the books for Christmas. Not knowing any better, I read the Silmarillion first since it was chronologically before LOTR (which was pretty difficult at first, but then it really picked up steam towards the last half), then I started making my way thru LOTR.

If the Two Towers even closely resembles the book, that will be a fantastic movie.

5. TC517

May 14, 2001
    I found a Traveling Bilbo figure today at Target. Pretty rare I think.

I've looked into having a line party through theonering.net and It seems simple enough. We announce it on thier site by telling them who, when, and where. Then we are free to do whatever we want.

6. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    ttt was the best book ever! gimli is the stuff. dont you agree hes the best in the trilogy?

7. TC517

May 14, 2001
    Gimli is pretty cool, but I like elves. Maybe because I have elf ears too...

I have made the first contact about getting donations for The Two Towers event. Tom at Barnes & Noble would see what he could do for us, though it might be a long shot.

8. TC517

May 14, 2001
    Well, I finished all three books last week. I give them a nine out of ten. Return of the King was probably my favorite with the fellowship being my least. The story tended to drag on during the "boring" parts and move too quick during the battles. Still a very good read and would recomend it to everyone.
    I also noticed today north side target doesn't carry LOTR toys. I hope that they will get some soon...

9. JediMasterChris3

JediMasterChris3 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 9, 2002
    I read all the books like 5 years ago.

10. TC517

May 14, 2001
    Get your LotR icons while they last.

I love the Holloween theme!

11. Darth_Tolkien

Darth_Tolkien Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2002
    I read the books about once a year. If you guys did something I would probably stop by.

When watching ttt this december close your eyes when arwen is on screen because she isn't suppose to be there.

12. TC517

May 14, 2001
    Ah yes, the Arwen complex. I don't mind it as much as some, but if I was Jackson, I wouldn't have expanded the character.

13. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Okay, we have talked about doing some sort of promotional thing at Showplace for LOTR this December.

I talked to my manager (as did Adam ;)) and she was surprisingly cool with it. Exact quote:

"Okay, when do you want to set up your stupid table?"

A lot of things are still up in the air (what we're doing, when exactly it will be, etc.) but here's what we do know:
    • It will NOT be on opening night. Too busy.
    • We will have to provide stuff and do this at no cost to Showplace Cinemas.

Thank you.

14. TC517

May 14, 2001
    It would be nice to do it opening night. Since it opens on a Wednesday almost everyone there would be a sci-fi/fantasy fan. (I could understand Friday being VERY busy) We'll take what we can get though.

Of course it would cost them nothing, and if they wish, we could put thier logo or something on the flyer.

We can iron out details at the meeting.

15. TC517

May 14, 2001
    Just a few more hours...

Looks like I won't be making the midnight showing. :( I have a BIG final that day. I will have to wait until Wed. Night.

16. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I've got my ticket. About 26 hours from now, I'll be in my seat. :D

17. TC517

May 14, 2001
    I give TTT two thumbs up. It is very long and the middle is a bit slow, but having read the books, the movie goes very quickly. I liked how Gollum provided some comedy throughout, being that the film was so dark.

I can't wait for Return of the King. Only one more year!

18. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Would you believe I finally saw TTT?

I must say I enjoyed it very much. I was impressed with The Battle for Helms Deep, Gollum and the over all story. I agree with Cole, though. It was long in the middle, but I know it is supposed to have that "epic" feel.

I watched both movies this weekend and have actually had the urge to check out some LOTR websites. I really don't know what's come over me...

8-}

19. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    And we can't get you into EU? pfft :p

20. Lord_Skywalker

Lord_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Don't worry Stacky we shall convert him "Do not underestimate the power of the darkside" ~vader breath~

21. WedgesOtherNephew

Jun 6, 2002
    I picked up the TTT DVD last night, but have not watched it yet.

I noticed the full screen version had 10 minutes of ROTK footage. If they have to do that, why bother making full screen. Of course I bought widescreen...that 10 minutes was probably full of spoilers anyway...:p

Any TTT DVD reviews out there?

22. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Wait for the EE version ;) :p

23. TC517

May 14, 2001
    It was right on par with FOTR. I don't have the patience to go wait until the "real" DVD comes out, so I only buy the simple versions.

Very well done DVD, but I think the Star Wars DVDs are better.

24. WedgesOtherNephew

Jun 6, 2002
    [Obi on Kamino]That's...good...news...[/Obi on Kamino]

I hear you Cole. I will only watch a 6 hour DVD if it is Star Wars :)

25. WedgesOtherNephew

Jun 6, 2002
    So how about that "Ring" thing? 11, count them, eleven Oscars including best picture!

Congratulations to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.