main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    And yet I realized they were dating just now.

PirateofRohan likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Less than 5 hours!!!!! [face_dancing]I had coffee too so I don't snooze.

3. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Really? Never would have guessed. :p

4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    so excited to see 68 pages of the hobbit tonight you guys. =P~

5. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Inappropriate-Darth Boba

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    So it's 0130hrs, but it does mean that today is the day I see The Hobbit! :D

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That was almost inevitable, given how little of "The Hobbit" Jackson saw fit to actually include in the present film.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

You've already seen it?

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    He probably lives in NZ, they get the movie early

For anyone who has seen the movie, do the Eagles show up?

10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Wocky lives nowhere.

11. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    They do. They're in promotional images (post trilogy announcement) and reviews as well.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    That is good

Can't wait to this movie tomorrow night, it's gonna be awesome!

Random Comments likes this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Also seeing Gwaihir again will be awesome too!!!!!!

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Starting the film in nine minutes. Didn't have any plans to watch the thing until about eight-ish tonight but here I am. Probably wont understand anything that's happening but I'm loving the atmosphere here. Midnight openings are the best.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

15. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I just got back-- I loved it! :D

As I was leaving the theater, I heard many of the same complaints I've heard from the critics, but overall people seemed to like it. My only complaint was that the Goblin King's "That'll do it" as Gandalf kills him was too jokey a death line from an entity that's supposed to be scary. Seriously--everything else was great!

I'll probably have more to post later, after I've had time to digest the film a little bit. Also--how long are we hiding spoilers for?

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I liked it too. Munching a Hobbit themed meal at Denny's, which is an amusing branding choice.

Mostly enjoyed the film I think, and I think I was able to follow along despite not being familiar with the stuff. Mini-review commencing.

Good:

- the music. Very pleasant score. I especially liked the one humming song in the Baggins house. Catchy even.
    - the humor. Really helped keep it less ponderous or dragging. Occasionally juvenile but generally appreciated.
    - the epic pans. Only seen the original films once but I always liked the landscape shots. NZ is gorgeous.
    - Rivendell (sp?). The elven stuff is beauteous.
    - gandalfs thing about little kindnesses driving off evil and the hobbit filling him with courage.
    - 3d was inoffensive for once.
    - had no trouble following along
    - generally a very enjoyable film -- would've loved it as a kid and I think I greatly enjoyed it now
    - along with the above, I liked the camaraderie of the group and the general light-hearted, happy tone with just general dark edges to it. dwarven prince was a v. interesting character, but also a bit of a buzzkill at times, esp. with Baggins. But otherwise it felt like a great adventure romp
    - also liked the narrated bits, both by Baggins and Gandalf. Reminded me of storytime.
    - oh the hedgehogs were so cute. Awww! Reminded me of ophie.

Neutral
    - 48 fps. seemed to enhance the epic scope at times, or make motions more fluid, but also seemed kind of dizzying at other times

Bad:

- that rock monster thing.
    - dwarves mostly seemed undifferentiated and the names were rarely used. Felt they could've been developed.
    - riddles went on too long

17. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    *still hasn't finished the movie* argh...

Did anyone else caught, what I thought was a, female dwarf during the Erebor scenes in the beginning?
    No wonder they keep liking each other's posts all the time. :p

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You should be able to watch a movie without reading the book...

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  19. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure there were female dwarves, yes. No beards, though. :p

GrandAdmiralJello and jp-30 like this.
  20. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    The lack of beards is what threw me of. :p

21. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    I'll see Jello his mini-review, and raise him this. :p

Stuff That Was Actually Better Than I Expected:

Riddles In The Dark. Possibly the only thing more awesome than Martin Freeman as Bilbo is Andy Serkis as Gollum.
    The White Council. I was prepared to be bored, expecting PT-levels of politicking and yammering. The actual result was suprisingly interesting and revealing of each of the participants' characters.

Stuff That Bothered Others But Didn't Bother Me.

"Too long." Only my bladder thought so. :p I wanted a mercy intermission in there somewhere. I didn't think anything needed cutting, though.
    "Too slow." The film has a lot more action in it as it goes along, but the Bag End scenes were perfectly entertaining as far as I was concerned. Martin Freeman is the master of the Excruciatingly Awkward Moment, and playing his offended sense of propriety against 13 deranged dwarves went quite well, I thought.
    "Too juvenile." I found almost all of the humor charming, including Radegast and his rabbits. I'd call it more "whole family humor" than "childish humor."
    "Too many damn Dwarves." True, they're not all equally prominent, but who cares? Some were more characters in their own right, while others were more like extras. This is as it should be, IMO.
    "Too much score recycling." I liked hearing the familiar cues, as they were seldom more than a telling theme linking LOTR to AUJ. The well-known passages occasionally sorted out for me what was happening--such as the Elves killing the Warg-riders near Rivendell.

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'll get back to the individuated dwarf discussion tomorrow, as just now we've come back from the 12:01 3D HFR XD huge-screen showing.

My stratospheric expectations have been met and, incredibly, exceeded. This is a four-and-a-half-star film for the ages, superior to any of the LOTR movies in almost every way, breathtaking at its best and only briefly, mildly tedious at its worst. I did experience a "let's get going, here" feeling which lasted about two minutes, but that's necessarily part of the build-up to the awesomeness.

The high frame rate took some getting used to, as it initially looked like a TV movie -- a really expensive and beautifully shot TV movie, with topnotch effects, costuming, set design, etc., but still the fluidity of motion was so un-cinematic that at first I was, admittedly, concerned whether this thing was going to fly.

But after about fifteen minutes the ultra-real, no-motion-blurring, rapid-moving effect of the 48 fps projection seemed to my eye perfectly natural, normal, organic, as though I was looking through a window into another world, and it simply became part of the event of seeing this wondrous, epic, gorgeous, eye-popping film.

When this movie takes off, it SOARS like no other fantasy film I've seen. Multiple repeat viewings in the weeks and years to come will decide whether it merits that full, fifth star, but for now I'm holding to the 4 1/2 star rating which my heart and my head are telling me to give it.

My wife loved it, too. [face_love]

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Just very quickly, I've never maintained that about The Hobbit. I will ardently argue that The Lord of the Rings is "one of the best-written works in the English language", but I don't feel that way about its predecessor. That's just a fun adventure story -- brilliantly conceived and paced, with numerous breath-taking turns and a heart of gold -- but not nearly as well-written as its sequel.

24. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Well that's the first I've heard of anything like that, and I'll disagree, but cheers, Merlin.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You'll disagree due to your own thoughts after seeing the movie for yourself? When are you seeing it?