main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    You do realize there's a difference between hoping someone "rises to power" and hoping they're a complete failure, right? There are 5-10 new releases very week, even during slow times. Even if sj reached Spielberg status, I don't think you'd have a problem finding a film that matches your tastes.

Back to the actual topic, at this point I've given up on the movie(s) ever being made. If they do, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

2. DK_Force85

DK_Force85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2006
    The "ghost army" was originally supposed to be undead. But that got changed in reaction to the trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean.

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I dunno what the big drama is. Sure, if it moved to eastern Europe it'd be a blow to the NZ film industry, but I doubt it'd impact the film's quality. It might even improve it, if there's anyone in the world who knows how to make a good traditional fantasy it's the east Europeans (Germans too). And under Jackson's leadership it might turn out great. If it has to move there, then I say let it go.

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It won't look the same, though. Eastern Europe has plenty of beautiful locations, but it's simply not New Zealand, I'm afraid. :) The familiar places (Hobbiton, Rivendell, Misty Mountains) would look different.

5. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    .....and she's from Eastern Europe.

6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, and I love our nature, but for me, Middle-earth will always look like New Zealand. :)

But by all means, if there was a choice between Eastern European Hobbit and no Hobbit at all, then I'm all for the production moving over here. ;) Heck, I could even try for an extra then! :D

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Of course it'll look different. :p But so what, it certainly won't look any less impressive once CGI is added to the mix. And you can't tell me they'll be getting Ian Holm for the starring role. If he's not in it, then they might as well change the lot.

Well it shouldn't be stuck with NZ forever. Tolkien used his own back yard for inspiration for Middle-earth. Some parts of the countryside in England are exactly how you'd expect the Shire to look, without the need for sets and fake hills.

8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    [face_sick]

And here's the kind of thing that makes me want to hate those movies even though I really do like them.

9. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Plus, many of the settings (Mirkwood, The Lonely Mountain) are different from LOTR. Bag End and Rivendell will have to rely on a little more CGI, otherwise it wouldn't be too bad.

10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    England would provide a better setting. I really loved NZ for the other ones, but like what Yankee8255 said, most of the scenery is different locations than what's already been seen. Mirkwood is an entirely different type of forest, and I kind of want to see that.

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I agree that The Hobbit could be shot just fine in Europe.

But not every part of NZ was filmed as LOTR locations, we do have other shire-like areas and other types of forests. The West Coast South Island forests, as one example, are pretty spectacular and imposing.

12. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Hiking through those forests is like being in Jurassic Park, except when you find abandoned 19th century huts and mines, it's pretty eerie.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  15. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    SO happy to hear that The Hobbit is going to be made soon and that PJ is directing it!

16. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    YES!

YES!

NO!:(

I really hope the 3-D bit turns out to be unfounded, but other than that I've been very happy about all of this. And yeah, The Hobbit is very different from LotR in terms of both tone and physical location, so while I certainly think New Zealand would be able to work fabulously once again, I really don't think the same shooting location is required. When I read The Hobbit, the images in my mind look vastly different from when I'm reading Lord of the Rings. The spider attack, for example, is completely different from Shelob's Lair. You've got an (almost) entirely new cast, it takes place fifty years before LotR, and the world is a lot different. Aragorn is a young man; I'm pretty sure he even still goes by "Estel" at that time. The dwarves are scattered, and the elves we meet in Mirkwood are far different than the elves we see in Rivendell or even Lothlorien. Remember that Legolas' father is the king, and he actually wasn't a very nice guy all of the time.

Also, one reason why Eastern Europe or England appeal to me is because of the possibility of Christopher Lee being able to be on the project. He has stated in the past that he'd like to be a part, but isn't comfortable traveling as far as New Zealand at his age, which is completely understandable.If it's closer to home, then maybe he'd be able to reprise his role, which I imagine is still considerable in The Hobbit screenplays because of the White Council parts. Plus I just love Christopher Lee.:p

17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well hopefully things are finally coming together. I bet Jackson will be happy to be done with it all, and probably won't want to hear the word Hobbit for a very long time.

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Why are you upset over the 3D thing? I mean, you can always... you know... ignore it and just go and see the regular 2D version... ;) That's what I'll be doing, anyway...

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Uhg, 3D. I was so happy when they were resisting it but it's quite possible MGM would insist on this as an easy way to make a bunch of extra money off of it. Though I don't know, 3D percentages have been plummeting. They're taking a pretty big risk hoping anyone will give a crap in 2012.

I would prefer to see a 2D version. The trouble is finding a big, nice screen that's also 2D. I bet the ArcLight will be able to hook me up.

Also, in the article:

The plan is for a release on or about Dec. 19, 2012

Just in time for the end of the world! Whew.

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The 3D thing, With Avatar it is great, Tron legacy looks like it fits, I look forward to Star Wars in 3D. I was happy with the effect in Alice in Wonderland. The problem is films like Clash of the Titans which were 2D then get quickly converted to 3D because studios think we are mindless fools and will run to see them 3D films without question.

Mordor would have been great in 3D.

21. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    No. No, it wouldn't have.

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    But again I don't see the issue. Just go see it in 2D and you will be fine. Who cares?

23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    QFT. I don't get the uproar over 3D. So what if it's going to be in 3D? It's not going to be released ONLY in 3D, is it? Just go and see it in 2D and ignore 3D if you don't like it.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. The Mines of Moria, the Battle of Helm's Deep and the Siege of Gondor would have beem astounding in 3D. And they were already astounding in 2D.

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Especially the Nazgûl aerial attack on Minas Tirith... =P~