main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Balrogs are Maiar ( Gandalf is a Maia, as was Sauron originally ). The Balrog is intelligent/self-aware, as is Smaug. The same can be said for Glaurung in The Silmarillion.

In the book Smaug speaks verbally.

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    His speech with bilbo being on of the most iconic moments of the novel, so I'd say he can speak. He's also very intelligent and another fan of riddles.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The
    riddle scene between Bilbo and Gollum was very amusing

4. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I agree.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just hope film Smaug sounds like a dragon speaking and not like, say the way the goblin king spoke. Looked like a giant, horrid monster but sounded like a very articulate orator. Not that it seemed terribly out of place.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    in the book, Smaug speaks to Bilbo, he will in the movie too voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Smaug is hyper-intelligent. Tolkien's Dragons are basically re-useable nukes with beyond-human AI. The words that Dragons speak are known to hypnotize and cast a spell over all those who hear, and they especially enjoy riddles and mind games. In the books, Smaug speaks to Bilbo, but Dragons are known to have influences over the mind too, so I'm not sure which direction the movies will go in.

Also, the Balrog of Moria definitely could have spoken since he was a brother of Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, Sauron, and the rest.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If the Balrog was so smart, why didn't it use its wings to fly back up when Gandalf broke the bridge? :p

9. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Because it wasn't supposed to have wings. This is a long running argument, best not to bring it up...

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    "And suddenly it reared itself up to a great height and its wings were spread from wall to wall."

Case closed

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Smaug certainly seems able to talk in some way, having not read The Hobbit for many years I forget if it is stated exactly how he talks. By this I mean whether it is some sort of mental voice projection stemming from his Dragon ability to have a hypnotic-like power over others or if he actually moves his mouth.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Not having read the books but having seen the films and having read the debates:

It appears to me the balrogs are spirits that manifest an avatar of sorts that appear to have wings. Though they are very magical beings once manifested they do tend to obey some form of physics so that they at least need room or a running start to fly or if not that then they need their magic to be unoccupied(like not fighting a being like Gandalf) in order to call upon said magic to fly.

[face_dunno] :-B

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, sorry- was just going by the films impression of what the Balrog was.

I guess a more apt contrast would be Reign of Fire vs Dragonheart.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I have to say, it seems pretty incompetent of the dwarves to have lost to him. All they needed to do was lead him into a narrow chamber where he could not fly out or maneuver easily. Then seal it behind him, and make sure the room has abundant arrowslits in a 360 degree circumvallation. Stand back from whichever region he attempts to use fire, and in the meantime have archers unleash their fury form everywhere else. He would pretty quickly suffer a death from a thousand cuts.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You mean Alatar and Pallandro?

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Pallando.

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Pallando system?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Unless he just waited outside the chamber and sent orcs to deal with the archers.

19. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'm currently rereading the Hobbit at the moment, it's kind of amusing imagining where Peter JAckson will add unnecessary action scenes. :p

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    We should place bets. Double if someone correctly guesses an Albinorc scene.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    In the movie Smaug will talk out of his butt ala Ace Ventura.

22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    No, not talk. Remember we never saw where the fire came from in the prologue.

Quoth the PJ: “The trouble with redesigning dragons I’ve found is… you very quickly can go into science fiction territory, and I don’t want to do that. I want to present the most venal, scary, decrepit, nasty dragon I possibly can.”

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Pallando's not a system, he's a man! ...er, well, he looks like a man...

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    If I recall,
    Beorn protects the Dwarves/Bilbo from afar when they journey from his house towards Mirkwood. I won't put it past Jackson to have Albinorc vs giant bear

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004