main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    So I caught up with some friends who still have not seen this even though they are geeks who love the books and movies.

WTF?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    They're watching the top critics rating on RT be horrible. :p

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I for one am saddened that we did not get to see the genesis of the phrase "burned dwarf".

RC-1991 and Yo_Raja like this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    my rating is "eeeeehhh... it was 'fun'!"

i couldnt stop thinking about how much more fresh it would have felt with del toro at the helm. here's hoping Pacific Rim is worth it...

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hey, if Idris Elba could make his scenes in Prometheus watchable...

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    tru. idris is the proverbial "bomb-diggity"

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Tolkien's birthday today!

Some quotes from him...

Never laugh at live dragons.

Not all those who wander are lost.

I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size.) I like gardens, trees, and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humor (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late (when possible.) I do not travel much.

I loved (Hobbits) myself since I love the vulgar and simple as dearly as the noble.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Any others you can think of?

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    And he's favourite to be the next Bond....

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I don't know how or why the Party Dad Thranduil meme got started, but it's probably become my favorite thing ever.

[​IMG]

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Best. GIF. Ever. [face_laugh] And I believe Gingerhaze (of the Broship of the Ring fame) started it...?

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Not sure if Ginger started it, but dear lord she keeps fueling it with amazingness.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i like how thranduil is played by lee pace of Pushing Daisies piemaker fame

if idris elba became the next bond i might be compelled to actually care about james bond

13. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    The Tolkien Nerd's Guide to The Hobbit by the Smithsonian magazine. The bottom line: only little of the film is actually a PJ invention, and some clever lines may hint at things to come in the following movies.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Good article.

I'm sure we will, since a glimpse of it was in the very first teaser trailer. ;)

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    However, that clip could have simply been a preview scene from Gandalf in the "current" timeframe when he's dealing with the Necromancer. I don't think we'll see any of Gandalf's interactions with Thráin.

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    But there was a short clip of Gandalf in Dol Guldur fighting what I'm 100% sure is Thráin in that trailer.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Can someone answer for me how the hell Benedict Cumberbatch gets billing for this first film? I thought that Michael Gambon being in the main billing block for Deathy Hallows Part I was the height of insanity, but this goes further still.

18. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I was initially confused by this too however I realised that The Necromancer had a small cameo in the film of which he is doing mo-cap.

Some might also suggest it is because of Smaug at the very end, but he did not audibly say anything so I think it is most likely his Necromancer duties.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    WHY DOES SEAN BEAN APPEAR IN THE END CREDITS OF RETURN OF THE KING DESPITE NOT BEING IN THE FILM?

Miana Kenobi and Mar17swgirl like this.
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Cumberbatch thing was odd, why did he need to mo-cap a shadow for about 10 seconds? Surely they could have just done all that with CGI. And he doesn't do any Smaug talking or any major facial movement which I assume is why he was mo-capping Smaug.

When the Necromancer appears in a more active role instead of standing in a doorway, and actually talks or whatever, then Cumberbatch can be credited with portraying him.

Maybe it is just for consistency though, he will be playing two characters so he might as well be credited in all the films in which those characters appear (even if he doesn't do anything).

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    [​IMG]

22. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    That happened in Return of the King?

Edit: Or is that a crazy vision from his dad?

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think they showed it again when pippen was telling denethor how he died. been a while though.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Was about to post this too... it's a good article.

I haven't watched this again yet, but thinking back on it I still really enjoyed it. My 6 year old son loved it too, and he didn't even want this nearly three hour movie to end when we saw Smaug's eye open at the end.

We saw it in 2D, which I'm glad about. I didn't think it was 48fps, which I see confirmed here now in the posts saying that only the 3D showings were 48fps.

25. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    It's more of a cameo, and in the Extended Edition, even, but Sean Bean's definitely in the film:

So I guess that if Sean Bean can get credit for being a mere vision, then Benedict Cumberbatch can get credit for Smaug's eye and the Necromancer's shadow on the wall.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)