main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    The singer composed the thing and wrote the lyrics in a single day, so...

Bacon164 likes this.
  2. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I must say, though, that I find that... inspired, in a weird sort of way. I listened to it putting myself in Thorin's shoes, when he was at the lowest of the low after the loss of Mighty Erebor, seeing dragon fire every time he worked at the forge, and remembering, and not wanting to remember, yet knowing that he must remember, for the burdens and cares of his people ultimately lay on his young shoulders. I see a dragon haunting even his nightmares as the glories of times past haunt his days, nurturning his spirit of revenge and setting him on the war path to reclaim his heritage. I see Thorin in Bag End with Balin, knowing he may not be the right person to lead the Quest, but also knowing he is the only person legitimately able to do so, and setting to the task with a wistful resignation...

Maybe I'm too easily prone to wax poetic about just anything, but I think it's as good an interpretation as any.

Lauré :)

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, it does sound like a last-minute stitched-up thing...

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think what they're going for is less boy band and more traditional Celtic style, but it's a bit mired in modern country music. Still, IDK if this is the final version even, but I can see it working.

5. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    It's still generic crap, musically.

If I compare it to the credits song of The Two Towers, that one is several leagues above this.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    You really don't read the thread properly, do you, Ghost? :p

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And "May It Be" is generic Enya, so to each his/her own. ;)

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    At least her style (and that song) fits Middle-earth. This doesn't.

EDIT: Also, when I say "generic", I don't mean "typical style for this singer". I mean generic in the most general sense, melodically and harmonically - I See Fire sounds like any other mainstream pop song. There's nothing musically special about it, it's completely forgettable. The melody is generic. The sequence of chords is generic. It could've well been copied and pasted together by a computer.

Everton likes this.
  10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I don't see why they don't just have Enya do all the credits songs

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I like the variety of singers and different styles of songs for each film. But the song should always fit the mood and atmosphere of the film. Heck, I like the variety that the LOTR films all had songs by female singers and the Hobbit films are shaping up to have songs by male singers. But if you're given the honour of providing an end credits song for a Tolkien film, you bloody well put some effort into it and make sure the song fits the film.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe the song for Part III will consist of burps and farts?

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Fixed

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I rather enjoyed "Song of the Lonely Mountain". "I See Fire", though, is pretty blegh.

15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Eh, I'm kinda indifferent to it. It's okay. I'm intrigued if they're planning on using 3 male vocalists for all the Hobbit films since we had 3 females for LotR.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not listening to the song until the midnight showing, so I can be consumed with rage at that moment.

17. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Looking at a gallery of screencaps fron the sneak peek, my attention was suddenly arrested by what is presented in the video as an evocation of the Arkenstone crowning the throne of the Kings of Erebor:
    [​IMG]

But the design looked strangely familiar, and seemed to draw an uncanny effect. It is not until I remembered the mighty fortress of Barad-Dur from the LOTR movies that I succeeded in pinpointing the source of my uneasy feelings:
    [​IMG]

I may see links where there aren't, and the comparison might be a wee bit far-fetched, but I think that there is (pun intended) more than meets the eye about this similarity of designs...

Lauré :)

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  19. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    And I remember back in the day we used to wonder if Legolas would be in any of these...

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm seriously still hoping that Aragorn is not in these.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Viggo wasn't cast to come back so Aragorn won't be back

23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, Aragorn is a teenager during the time of the Hobbit, so maybe they cast a younger lookalike?

24. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003

Problem is Mar, Peter Jackson seems to be of the opinion that Ed's song does fit the mood and atmosphere of TDOS (perhaps this doesn't bode well for the film?) so until we see the film for ourselves we can't argue that it isn't a perfect fit whether or not we like the song stylisticly.
    The other problem of course is that people will always differ on what they think works and doesn't work.

25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    "May It Be" is NOT generic Enya! I once both listening to her latest "best of" collection and HATED it. Only 'May It Be' and 'Aníron' were any good.