main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    As a major Enya fan, I resent this.:p But honestly maybe I've just been listening to her too long, but I can't tell much of a difference between "May It Be" and her other stuff. It's mainly New Age and/or choral.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, after reading his FB comment to the video, I'm not too sure... He does mention that it was his daughter who suggested this particular singer - who knows, maybe he simply bowed down to her and let her have her way... Question is, would this singer be his first choice had his daughter not mentioned it?

Because all the other songs are both a) good musically and lyrically, and b) fit their film. They were memorable. "I See Fire" is neither memorable nor good. Plus, the singer doesn't seem to know what "desolation" mean, otherwise he wouldn't have written a line like "desolation comes upon the sky" and other "gems".

Everton likes this.
  3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I was watching the 2 and a half minute sneak peak that PJ has on his facebook page, is it just me or is the "shortening" effect they use to make the hobbits and dwarves look shorter than the elves and humans starting to wear thin? every time they showed Thorin, it looked like Armitage had shrunk in the dryer.

4. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, "desolation" can also mean, as per dictionary.com, "sorrow, grief, woe" (number 7), even before its meaning of "a desolate place" (number 8), so I don't see how it doesn't fit with the lyrics, in the sense that with Smaug came much sorrow for both Dwarves and Men, who suffered much grief by the woes wrought upon them by the dragon that "[came] upon the sky" that day. It's a poetic figure (to take the effect or part of the object to represent the whole), and for the life of me I don't understand how it can be wrong.

Anyhow, and on another subject, here are yet more posters:

Bilbo: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-cbf4d050.jpg
    Bard: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-97be4e0d.jpg
    Thorin: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-59bac723.jpg
    Legolas and Tauriel: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-c9ce30aa.jpg
    Gandalf: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-9d2247a6.jpg

Lauré :)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh so kind of like the horrific moment when Lucas's daughter almost convinced him to cast N'Sync in AOTC?

6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    This wasn't any worse than the song in the last film (which was bad).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I didn't particularly love the song in the last movie. It certainly wasn't the masterpiece that I'd hoped it would be. All three songs from the first trilogy are stupendously good.

This new one, which I only listened to half of (and I think I got the gist) seems fine if, again, not at all great. I think, all things considered, I might like it more than the one from the last oe actually.

8. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    There is also the fact that, according to IMDB, they cast Robin Kerr as Elros for both TDOS and TABA:
    [​IMG]

And on the TABA cast list, there is a mysterious character named Feren (i.e. not in any Tolkien database that I know of, and which spelling is similar to that of "Beren") who is played by Simon London:
    [​IMG]

I may be grasping at straws here, but he seems to be quite alike Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn:
    [​IMG]

Now, why mention Elros at all if there is no mention of his descendants? Or is it that they'll include him in flashbacks with Thranduil anbd Elrond? I just find it very strange, and am eager to have an answer somewhere down the line.

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Is Elros mentioned in LOTR at all? Because if not, they can't use him, they don't have the rights to the characters from the Silmarillion.

And I wouldn't be too quick to trust IMDB when it comes to casting - it's like Wikipedia, anyone can edit it.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    is it possible that elros is a new character that just shares a name with elrond's brother? tying the story of the hobbit to the first king of numenor seems like a stretch even for pj.

11. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Elros is mentioned in the first few pages of the LOTR Appendixes (even detailing his story and lastly using his kingly name of Elros Tar-Minyatur), so PJ would be within his right to use the character. So who knows what may happen at the end of TABA? Maybe they have an epilogue of sorts to bridge the gap between the two trilogies...

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh yeah, the Appendices... Well, the only point of Elros I can see would be a brief flashback to the Kings of Númenor to explain Aragorn's bloodline (perhaps with a glimpse of young Estel running around Rivendell) to tie the trilogies together. But even that is too much of a stretch, I'd say this is simply false info that someone posted on IMDB.

13. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, maybe as Galadriel, Elrond and Gandalf realise that the Necromancer is, in fact, the Big Bad Wolf himself, there will be some mention of "the last hope of Middle-Earth" as they realise what burdens they must lay on young Estel's shoulders. I guess we'll see how it goes in little more than one year.

14. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I just bought the Extended editon of The Hobbit an unexpected journey yesterday and I got to say, it makes the movie even better.

What I was right about and how I noticed the scenes that where not in the original cut and I was right about 13 mins/182 seems alot longer then that. Maybe like an extra 30 mins longer.

You guys should check out the extended cut its really good.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No I don't want to waste money.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Bacon164 like this.
  16. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    *cough*libraries are your friend*cough*

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey my best friend was killed by a library!

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

The Hobbit isn't a waste of money :p

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    YOU'RE A WAST OF MONEYYYYYYYY

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd welcome a glimpse of Estel, a sighting, perhaps someone could identify him by name... but nothing more. No mention of exactly who he is what he might become. That would be too much foreshadowing.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Dramatic Thranduil iz dramatic:

[​IMG]

Gingerhaze'd as well:

[​IMG]

22. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
  23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
  24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    The beauty of having the Kindle edition. "Elros" comes up 5 timesall in the Appendices. I had thought there might bbe a mention of hte name in a song, or a refernce to the "line of Elros" in the regular text, butn o.

Not sure a flsashback really fits here, even with Jackson adding extensive elements from the overall War of the Rings story. Would have fit far better in LOTR, imo.

25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    It could of course be just some background elf, named after the famous Elros.

What about that horn-blower elf in the sneak peek? He could be some kind of "sidekick" character for the named elves like Madros was for Faramir. If he is, it's likely that his name isn't even said aloud in the movie.